Sort items by date of modification, addition, last use, etc

• This Post was STARTED OCTOBER 2018!
  • 461 Votes
  • 180 Posts

AND THEN AFTER TWO (2) YEARS OF CRICKETS, Three (3) Years of: PROMISES>PROMISES>PROMISES> PROMISES> PROMISES of Coming Attractions: :rofl:

APRIL, 2022 – A TEASE FROM THREE, YEAH, 3-YEARS AGO:
SOME SORT OF TECHNICAL WORK-AROUND: (If it can be done, why has it taken THREE (3) – YEARS to implement!?!)

NOVEMBER, 2022 (“Rest assured the team has received the feedback and will continue to maintain and develop Bitwarden features that ensure it remains secure and beneficial for all.”:

*DECEMBER, 2022 – “COMING THIS YEAR” – 2022!!!
(Oops Missed IT :roll_eyes: :rofl:)*!!!:

JANUARY, 2023:

JANUARY, 2023:

I Couldn’t AGREE MORE With What @snovvman Said in JANUARY, 2023!

@bw-admin, I appreciate adding to the tips section and the workaround, but it is not practical for real-time use cases. I, and I’m sure others as well, are still very interested [read: desperate] to have BW build in the sort features in the web and mobile apps. It would be a game changer.

[/quote]

AUGUST, 2023:

Apparently the code (wherewithal) to make a portion, or all of the requested various sorting methods happen, has been in the hands of the developers for years. This makes the reason(s) for implementation delays all the more frustrating from a user’s perspective!?!

It is NOW 5-years/4-Months LATER and we’re still waiting!!

As hundreds have similarly stated: I’m a new premium user and I was using sorting features with my previous manager and because they’re SO gosh darn USEFUL, NOT finding them within Bitwarden was frustrating.

Moreover, while perusing this thread, many users expressed the lack of sorting being a Bitwarden deal breaker. That should have prompted a response from the development team in less than 5-years/4-Months, when this thread began! This of course should have alerted the marketing team to the question of how many potential users never posted and have simply kept on walking to other password mangers!

2 Likes

That’s an exaggeration. Some of the back-end infrastructure that was a pre-requisite for development of sorting functionality may have been completed about one year ago (not “years”). And even with the availability of new data structures that support the coding sorting function, that doesn’t mean that all that is left is to flip a switch to make sorting work in the UI.

Furthermore, please note that while it is OK to express disappointment, it is important for posts on the forum to adhere to Community Guidelines with regards to respectful, professional, positive, and constructive communication. Since you joined the forum relatively recently, I would encourage you to read all of the participation guidelines carefully.

First @grb, yes, I am fairly new to this forum, because I’m a new Bitwarden user. However, as I’ve advised in several of my past threads for which you have graciously responded, I have appreciated all of your help and support, which reflect quite nicely upon you personally and the Bitwarden team as a whole.

December, 2022:

Second, if facts smart and the protein tastes like crow, so be it. Behind hundreds of current user’s posts and potential user’s posts, there are generally hundreds more who didn’t post. Perhaps promises of sorting functionality shouldn’t have been made December, 22, about the sorting functionality being “bundled in with improvements to the web vault coming this year”. To give credit when due, (contrary to my misstating 2-years in my original post), a little over a year has passed & the “coming year” promise has only been technically missed by a few months. But, as a well-seasoned engineering colleague joking advised me decades ago: *sometimes you just have to shoot the engineer and ship the product. With some herein waiting for several years and others less time, another lost year and a missed date, are at best, frustrating.

Third, as far as exaggeration goes and about the sorting wherewithal being present, I assumed it wasn’t fully so. Because I assumed someone wouldn’t have been simply sitting on it and not rolling-it-out in 2023, as promised it would be herein, on December, 2022.

But it was frustrating to a “normal” non-techy user being teased with a potential CLI sorting solution; which implies that sorting is not only possible, but it’s being done by those with the programming knowledge to do so.

To a neophyte user like me and others who expressed the fact that a database is a database, I know from the experience of using MS Access & Apple’s FileMaker Pro, this meant that sorting wasn’t rocket science – i.e., it was doable by using Bitwarden’s CLI (whatever that is). Thus, the sorting ability/function(s) only needed some directional focus, or some heat under someone’s chair, which, after 5-years of requests and then over a year of promises, it apparently hadn’t gotten.

Lastly, the reason for a bit of snarkiness in my post, was because of how much I favor Bitwarden – it’s business model, it’s svelte interface, being open source, all of the great reviews etc. In fact, my needs didn’t require me to become a premium user, but I thought what the heck, I will contribute, because I appreciate the software and what the Bitwarden team is doing.

As such, because of my very positive conclusions about Bitwarden, it didn’t compute as I read through this thread, that promises were made and not kept; let alone that something so important as sorting, was left off the original development table and remains so, eight (8) years after its release. More importantly, the December, 2022 post stating that sorting is coming to a computer near you; was out of character and appeared non-responsive (e.g., nothing else about it was said and sorting was still missing-in action 3/7/2024), when my experiences herein with this forum and you grb, and with my single Bitwarden’s support experience, all were prompt, satisfying and completely responsive!

Hopefully, sorting being added to the browser Vault will be introduced sooner, rather than later. I really miss being able to find and use recently used logins and the other sorting features I previously had.

I have no horse in this race, as I do not work for Bitwarden. However, I do help with moderation of this community form, so my only interest is to ensure that discourse here stays civil.

The CLI is Bitwarden’s Command-Line Interface. It allows you to interact with your Bitwarden vault by typing commands into a command-line shell (e.g., the Windows Command Prompt, Windows PowerShell, or macOS Terminal, or Linux bash shells).

FYI, the Bitwarden CLI does not have any built-in sorting functionality. The work-arounds mentioned within this thread simply use the CLI to create a large data structure that contains all of the vault contents. That data structure is then passed on to a third-party tool (either the Python utility jq, or the PowerShell “commandlet” Sort-Object) which actually does the sorting.

One of many things that Bitwarden developers have been working on is a redesign of the Web Vault UI (the first release of which just came out). The most recent statement from Bitwarden staff on this current feature request is that some type of sorting functionality is going to be incorporated in the redesigned Web Vault UI.

Good to hear @grb .

Before settling on BW, based on the testing and reviews I analyzed for the top 3-password managers, Bitwarden was mentioned as having one of the more banal UI’s. However, I’ve found BW’s UI to be highly usable, which to me, is the most pertinent attribute. More importantly, the other features of BW are top tier, especially the most critical, which is BW’s focus on security!

I do hope that the “some type of sorting functionality” to be released, will include a recently used list! I frequently used that feature in my previous manager and immediately missed it upon adopting BW.

If the new UI is a bit more modern (if you will) and competitive, with additional features like sorting and allowing the ability to select a new browser tab when editing (which I haven’t found in BW and missed), the BW team is moving in the correct direction and their top tier product will be even more difficult to compete against.

To better explain the above *bold phrase, I found at least one "Feature Request post (in the forum), that better defines my hope for the new UI.

Along with sorting, an edit in vault or open in vault browser button like Lastpass has, has been sorely missed, when I transitioned to Bitwarden:

‘Edit in vault’ or ‘open in vault’ button in browser-app

@sclark
I’ve known about the pop-out option @grb pointed out and use that when I know, in advance, that I’ll need to leave the extension popup before saving changes. But all too often I don’t realize I need to copy data from somewhere else until I’m in the middle of editing. As I mindlessly click outside the extension to copy the text, I loose all the edits I’d made to that point (with no “are you sure” confirmation).

For all the good it might do, I’m also making a request to add vault sorting to the otherwise excellent product. My IT security advisor (me) wants to delete my old accounts to reduce my online security exposure. Guess what? BW doesn’t allow me to easily determine which are my old accounts or ones that haven’t had their password changed in some time.

(Maybe I’ll be the straw that gets things over the hump?)

Added as another request before I found this one…

Perhaps consider using something like https://datatables.net anywhere that Bitwarden currently displays stuff in tabular format – most notably when viewing the vault and in reports.

Notably, I’d like to see “sort by column”, “resize columns” and “hide/show columns”.

I just got “bit” again by Bitwarden’s lack of a sort feature/option!

When creating user credentials for a new website, Bitwarden offered to save the information and I agreed. Later, when I searched for the name that I assumed that may have been automatically assigned, the new entry was NOT found (Oops).

Without sorting ability and being a new user, I now know it is mandatory to edit the password Bitwarden is offering to create. This is necessary because the auto assigned name may not be as assumed and sans sorting (date created, modified etc.) finding it among >200 passwords is like searching for a BB in a Boxcar!

Why is a “Recently Accessed” function still not available?
(I use “Access” to mean {create|modify|delete|used})

I know the “this is a small company any someone would have to be responsible for the code going forward” rationalization. However, this function is laughably simple and what I’d consider foundational to the usability of the tool.

I would very much like to heard BW answer this.

…yet no one in the community has proposed a PR.

Go back to the web site. Then, click the browser extension’s icon. It should be right there, ready for viewing/editing.

Sadly, that was my problem, I managed to forget the website. I know…I know
who’s on first…what’s on second…(forehead slap)!

Unfortunately, I was working on two PC’s doing too much simultaneously. Computers can multi-task, human’s doing likewise is a misnomer.

Later however, I pulled-up the browser’s history, remembered, and was able to do as you suggested.

1 Like