'Edit in vault' or 'open in vault' button in browser-app

So I’ve been using Bitwarden for about a month now and I really like it, I do miss some features that I had in Lastpass though like always editing passwords in a new tab. For most things I don’t miss it, for secure notes it’s way easier though.

For context, I have one large secure note containing all my passwords for my ESXi-system and all the virtual machines that are on there and the local passwords. Not ideal but I’m not sure about a better alternative at the moment. Soit, before with Lastpass when I clicked ‘edit’ in the browser-app it opened a new tab with large fields so it was easy to scroll through. Bitwarden doesn’t support this feature unfortunately so I have to scroll through the menu that hovers over.

I’d like to see a button with ‘open in vault’ or ‘edit in vault’ that will open a new tab and directly go to the item to scroll through easily.

Not exactly what you are asking for, but can you use the pop-out button as a work-around? This will create a stand-alone browser window for the extension, which you can resize.

You have to do this before you open the secure note item, though, as the pop-out button is only available in the top level of the various page views (Tab, Vault, etc.), and in the search results view.

1 Like

Hello @nhendriks and welcome to the community,

If you are working within large Secure Notes in Bitwarden it may be beneficial to check out the Desktop Application as I know I use both the browser extension as well as the full desktop app, which IMO is invaluable when working between large sections of items, or possibly to also cross-reference between the browser and the desktop app to view multiple different records within the same vault.

One thing though you can try as a workaround of sorts currently could be to open the extension directly in a new tab.
This can be done with the following,

Firefox is a bit more tricky as from what I can tell this creates a random extension ID per Firefox install, or possibly per browser profile and is not given a unique extension ID by the Mozilla add-on store
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bitwarden-password-manager/

You can still get around this though, the easiest way I have found with Firefox to figure out the extension ID would be to first have keyboard shortcuts enabled.
Lock the browser extension, you can then use Ctrl/CMD + Shift + L → to Auto-Fill, which with the Locked vault will open the extension in a new Tab and prompt to Unlock the Vault.
You’ll see the URL at the top of Firefox will show something similar to moz-extension://a24c6172-ff1e-64c6-be33-99722214e7de/popup/index.html?uilocation=popout#/home
Simply remove the section after index.html and you should simply be left with something similar to moz-extension://a24c6172-ff1e-64c6-be33-99722214e7de/popup/index.html
You can then bookmark this URL, but this will only work I believe for that local Firefox profile, so if you use a Firefox account to Sync your browser settings such as bookmarks, this would not work on other computers.

I am wondering if the current function for the Pop-out button in the extension could be utilized in a similar manner to Open in a new Tab, rather than to pop-out to a new Window.
I have personally never worked on development of a browser extension, and TBH have very few coding abilities apart from some basic scripting for automation etc. but this may be something that seems fairly viable.
Perhaps this will be a good chance for me to try and learn :sweat_smile:, or maybe someone else might take up the mantle to add this feature.

Opening the extension in a new tab isn’t really a proper workaround to me as I could also keep the Vault itself open in a tab. The desktop app might look useful, didn’t know about that so I’ll check that out!

With the ‘pop-out’ button I didn’t mean a new window, I ment a new tab as well. A new window gets messy very quickly in my opinion.

I know some basic principles of coding but not about app-development but I guess it’s a ‘simple’ implementation, it could just use the server-URL which is already a defined variable, add a string of text (#/vault?itemId=) to that and then another variable which is also defined, it’s the ‘itemId’. Only thing that would need a workaround is the fact that the vault locks when all tabs are closed so the master-password unlock should have a workaround as well but that is only necessary if you want to open the item in the vault itself. Another possibility is the ‘Lastpass’-way by having a custom webpage built in the browser-extension which opens and is integrated. I think this is an easier option to build in than to bypass the locked vault.