Allow Attachments to be exported when using Export Data

app:web
app:desktop
app:browser

Attachments should be included when exporting data from Bitwarden. I’d like to use Bitwarden to store my SSH Keys, and I like to keep regular backups of my data for peace of mind. It is crucial that my SSH Keys can be exported, encrypted, and stored offsite as a backup.

@kspearrin Is there a chance that this is something that could be added in the near future?

EDIT: Wow, looks like someone else had a similar concern. Maybe these could be merged into one?

https://community.bitwarden.com/t/implement-ssh-agent-protocol

Our current exports are simple CSV files. I am not sure how we could also include your attachments with something like that.

Honestly, I’m not sure either. Ideally you’d want to be able to associate attachments with records they’re attached to and I’m not sure of a smart way to do that right off the back of my head.

I think this is a feature request that is important, if anyone else has thoughts on how Bitwarden could also export attachments I’d love to hear your input.

Edit: What if you archive attachments account wide with an organized folder structure based on what the attachment is attached to. For example:

Attachments.zip //Attachment Compressed Archive
SSH Keys/ //Internal Folder Name
[email protected]/ //Internal item name( Logun, Card, Secure Note)
id_rsa //Attachment
id_rsa.ppk //Attachment

I know its not elegant, but just an idea. Obviously certain characters will not work such as the internal item name using @ and will need to be properly stripped / replaced.

What if you BASE64 encode the attachments and include them as part of the CSV data?

This is for me a very important one, before deciding to host all my details with or in bitwarden.
I need to be sure that I am not vendor locked in. Especially with this important data.
I need a way out, for when bitwarden stops or …

Exporting to csv, and then importing loses a lot of the important data and structure which for me is more or less like being locked in.

I would propose to have an keepass xml 2 export possibility:
Keepass is open source, free, a standard, and also supports attachments.
I think this would make a lot of people reassure to have a fallback, just in case.

I presume since the importing module is already working, the keepass xml is an open standard, the export module should be reasonably easy to do.

Agreed: 2fa is then not backed up, but the most will be usable without to much effort.
But these could be text notes in keepass, so the key is at least available to use in a another app like authy.

I love the features of bitwarden. But as long as there is no external backup that is uasable, I am not moving my account data.

Keep up the good work, I hope soon to join!

@kheno You may also want to be aware of, and vote for Export cards and identities

If you went with this method, attachments could easily be encrypted with the rest of your data.

See Feature Request: Encrypted export

@kspearrin

Why not just make the export file a zip file that includes the CSV in the root and attachments in folders that can identify which item it belongs to?

Directory names should preferably be the name of the item and folders but it can collide with unusable file path characters but it’s not hard to get over it.

Current export is more or less useless as it’s only exporting the text data and in case of a complete loss of a self hosted Bitwarden instance, restoration will be incomplete.

I’d also suggest to include attachments base64 encoded into the exported JSON file. This way at least the JSON file contains all the data of the user account. For most users the JSON file is a proprietary file format anyway, so it doesn’t really matter if it is usable anyway.

The exported base64 files should be imported as well if a user imports the JSON file again obviously.

I was shocked after exporting my vault for the first time today because i thought i was going to have a backup of my vault.

Exporting the attachments together with the JSON file can be very easy.

All logins already have their own id in the JSON file (“id”: “01234-56789”,) so you can create an Attachment directory and put all attachments in the directory with a name like

“id-orignalattachmentfilename.extension”

E.g. “01234-56789-attachment.txt”.

Zip the directory+JSON file for download and we can make backups ourself.

Next step would be importing that zip file the other way around and somehow encrypt the backup but that’s for later. I think so many users first would like to have a possibility to make a consistent backup.

@kspearrin, Kyle can you please let us know whether this is doable and on the roadmap (short term)?
Thanks a lot!

Please document missing exports and imports

+1 from me, i you dont want to export them together with the json file, then just provide a conplete backup and restore solution.