Allow Attachments to be exported when using Export Data

+1
The robust import of 1Password data… particularly Secure Notes including attachments.

It’s now JSON. Base64 encoding would work. This is a really annoying thing to miss. I really thought I had a full backup of my stuff until I saw the JSON is unexpectedly small given the attachments I’ve stored in BW. I use this to sync between two different BW accounts (paid one here, and my privately hosted one). Only it’s not really syncing, if the attachments are missing. These are scans of identity documents, private keys for PGP.

I understand this may be an issue for people who have huge amounts of attachments due to the size of the resulting JSON, but simply omitting them is not a solution. If that’s the concern, make it optional or filter by size or something.

6 Likes

I agree.

I think that when you put attached files into something, the export should include these attachments. This is valid for any apps…

Or at least have an option to include/exclude from the export…

5 Likes

there must be a way. This is sth I am really concerned about. I knew it, I should have kept my keepass. now it is too much work to check every entry and re enter it in keepass.
please add a feature for exporting attachements. if only in a folder for them to be later viewed by normal explorer, so I can decide what to do with them and the normal username & pw entries in a standard file format like json so every password manager can import them without attachements.
My experience with the commandline was not great. (the bitwarden cli that is) I could not use it correctly, I do not know what it was, but is it possible to extract every attachement via commandline?

1 Like

At the bare minimum there should be a warning on the export page, that attachments are not included in the exports. I know csv wouldn’t include the attachments, but then realized json didn’t either when I exported and purged my vault. I had to revert with a backup.

4 Likes

@kspearrin

I’m concerned to see there hasn’t been an official response in nearly 4 years when this may lead to data loss when one exports and lets go of the vault.

3 Likes

Dear All,
are there some news?
It would be great to have this feature !

Everyone,

This thread has been going for 4 YEARS. It’s time to abandon all hope that this will happen in our lifetimes.

Answer: If you use Bitwarden, then do not use any attachments. There, done.

I’m all for hope, but not for false hope.

You can search these threads and see zombie-upgrade-requests that get batted about for years. Some get fixed, many don’t. Let’s just be realistic about this.

If Bitwarden wanted to fix a thing, or upgrade a thing, then they’d do it. If years go by, then they don’t want to do it. Time to move on: either get over the issue, or try out a new password manager if your bug/upgrade/change/fix request goes unaddressed.

Just trying to be pragmatic here.

Best wishes.

and HEY. I’m not slamming bitwarden here! I love bitwarden! As far as I can tell, it’s the best out there, and I’ve been using it for… 4-6+ years?

I’m just saying, let’s acknowledge that BW has finite resources, finite time available, finite energy, and a focus on what’s important to them as a company. Sometimes they agree with requests, sometimes not.

and it’s sure as hell not charging us (users) much at all… $10 a year? We shouldn’t complain at all! I honestly don’t know how they stay in business; must be corporate level stuff.

I’m just saying, follow the money. Yeah, i’d be pissed if I was paying $100-$300 a year for bitwarden and issues didn’t get resolved, but cmon, a free app? (or at most $10 a year?) That’s pennies a day! (2.74 to be precise)

1 Like

It’s probably not possible to let all users export their attachments for just a $10year subscription. Im not aware of the Azure data egress costs but think it has something to do with that…

Hey everyone, thanks for the passionate feedback! :fire:

Our high level roadmap is available here, and is a balancing act, focusing on security first and foremost, and then balancing features between the community, business and MSP/resellers.

I know it can be tough waiting to see if features will get implemented, but rest assured, if the team makes a decision one way or another on a particular request, I’ll be sure to share it here when it becomes available.

4 Likes

@bw-admin What exactly makes this a non-issue for business users, in your point of view? Speaking as an individual user who is also the admin for a business (we use something other than lastpass), if I were evaluating moving from our current solution to bitwarden not being able to get full backups would 100% be a dealbreaker.

2 Likes

As an existing customer learning about this insane limitation from hacker news of all places has me running for the hills back to 1password until this is resolved. I need to know my backups are 100%, I have critical, irreplaceable information stored as attachments in bitwarden that absolutely must be backed up! I’m just glad I found out now before it’s too late!

@bw-admin I would consider user data loss a security issue, so it should be a high priority to get that added to the free edition. Data integrity is a crucial feature of any password manager. I get that you have to tier out features for paid and free, but giving users incomplete backups and risking having them being permanently locked out of something because they didn’t find out their backup didn’t have critical data they need until after the fact is unacceptable.

I’ve been really excited about standing up my own Bitwarden instance once postgresql is fully supported (and even paying for the Premium version), but after learning about this, I don’t know if I could trust putting my mission critical data in Bitwarden.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback everyone, we’re working on better messaging for the current way that Bitwarden exports currently function. Regarding the ability to export attachments, rest assured your feedback has been passed along to the team :+1:

4 Likes

4 Years later and this BUG (yes, its a bug, and not a missing feature) is still there.
Maybe I have to end my subscription next year.

What is the problem here?

So looking at the roadmap a solid full backup option isn’t even a priority for Bitwarden?

Thanks for the feedback everyone, the team is hard at work on the 2022 roadmap (which is subject to change) and I’ll check in with the team to see if there are any updates on this one. All Bitwarden clients features are designed with security, cross platform compatibility, and third party security audits in mind.

1 Like

Soooooo…
The fact that this thread has been open for 4 years now, and still hasn’t been implemented is really making me consider going elsewhere - even if its not OpenSource.