[Solved] Cannot create/add a TOTP with a login (Azure AD)

I am facing some issues with adding a TOTP token to an existing login.
the credential is a Azure AD account and I am trying to setup MFA with bitwarden (generating the MFA tokens).
So I am trying to configure a new App in Azure AD (aka.ms/mfasetup). There I will be provide with either a barcode to scan with an app or the Code (### ### ###) to enter manually. When entering the code manually in the TOTP field in bitwarden (web) it saves OK but nothing happens from the Microsoft MFA configuration (like it does not recognize any registration). When scanning the barcode with the iOS app, an error (bitwarden) is being displayed: Authentification key cannot be read (my free translation since my app is running in German).
Does anybody have a clue what I am doing wrong? If i remember correctly, I did exactly the same when I was evaluating Bitwarden…

When setting up the authenticator as a 2FA login on Microsoft did you make sure to select “Configure app without notifications”

As notification 2FA login I would imagine only works with the Microsoft authenticator app and is used more as a DUO style push notification, rather than standard TOTP.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/set-up-an-authenticator-app-as-a-two-factor-verification-method-2db39828-15e1-4614-b825-6e2b524e7c95

1 Like

yes, it defaults to the Microsoft Authenticator app to configure Push notifications.

Both TOTP and Push notifications can be configured with AzureAD via Sign in to your account

Authenticator App → I want to use a different authenticator app → Can’t scan image → copy the secret key and paste it on the Bitwarden app.

Hi @cksapp
thanks for the hint with “configure app without notifications”. Somehow, I forgot about this one :(.
works like a charm now

Microsoft is now asking all Azure users to enable 2 factor auth just to login. i was hoping to use Bitwarden. I can scan the QR

code, as mentioned here, and when i logged out and logged back in to the android app, i now had TOTP codes. However Azure is not accepting these codes. Azure is not letting me login without setting up 2 factor app , but i really dont want to use their app for this.
Does anyone know if Azure login actually works with 2 factor TOTP auth in Bitwarden? Is there perhaps custom fields needed for azure in the android app, or is there special config needed in Azure itself? (And that would mean i will need to download microsoft authenticator) Many thx.

Absolutely still works as described

You said you were able to scan the QR code provided by Microsoft, can you confirm you were able to successfully set this up with the generated code from the Bitwarden app?
During setup of 2FA, Microsoft (or any 2FA setup) should require you to verify the provided code to ensure the QR code, and TOTP secret key was copied successfully and the local device time is correct.

If this worked initially I would suggest trying to make sure your device time is accurate, and barring that you can always copy the Authenticator key (TOTP) field from within your Bitwarden entry and enter this directly into the Microsoft Authenticator app, or other of your choosing to see if that will work.