Cannot set up TOTP on Amazon

New user here, was excited to be able to get away from 1Password after years of use. After migrating my logins from 1Password, everything seemed to be going well until I tried to setup TOTP (2SV) on my amazon account.

I went through the process as documented by Bitwarden but after scanning the QR code on Amazon, I never saw the verification code for the Amazon login.

(not surprisingly, I tried it again with 1Password and it worked w/o any problems - ugh)

I’m working with Bitwarden support but based on the reply from my detailed problem description, they sent me a response that seemed clueless to my dilemma.

"Thank you for choosing Bitwarden and for reaching out to the support team.
Could you please try clicking on the generated code directly and see if that copies it to your clipboard?
Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Kind regards,
Krystian"

This was after I described that I never got past the TOTP setup stage and therefore not getting any verification code.

Anybody have any experience with setting up TOTP (on Amazon)?

Silly question, but do you have Bitwarden Premium? If not, you can save TOTP secrets to your entries but you will not be able to generate codes.

If you are a Premium subscriber, ensure you are clicking Save at the top of the entry after you scan the QR code.

What device are you using to scan the QR code? What happens after you scan the QR code that leads you to say you are not getting past the TOTP setup stage?

Edit: If you are saving the entry after scanning the QR code, on mobile it should then be displayed under your password as “Verification Code (TOTP)” when you view an entry.

If you recently upgraded to Premium you may want to try logging out (not locking) your vault and relog to ensure all Premium features become active.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, and sorry, I should have mentioned I am a Premium user.

If you are a Premium subscriber, ensure you are clicking Save at the top of the entry after you scan the QR code.

I am using Bitwarden on my iPhone. And I did “save” after scanning. I got a notice “Authentication key added” then I saved.

Edit: If you are saving the entry after scanning the QR code, on mobile it should then be displayed under your password as “Verification Code (TOTP)” when you view an entry.

on my iPhone, I do not see this. I think this is a problem. However, on the Bitwarden web page for my Amazon account, “copy verification code” is displayed but when I copy/paste, nothing is pasted.

Hmmm that is odd that you are not seeing the TOTP section on your iPhone after adding a code. I just tested and when I add a TOTP by QR code I do not get any message saying “Authentication key added” - it just adds the secret to the TOTP field and when I click save it immediately shows the newly generated TOTP code section.

Can you try the following pls?

• On your iPhone, tap “Settings” on the lower right, then scroll to the “Account” section and tap on “Log Out”
  • Close the Bitwarden app (hard close, not just Home Button out of the app - to do this, home button out of the app and then swipe up from the bottom of the screen and when you see the Bitwarden app, swipe it up to hard close it. If it is an older iPhone you may need to double-tap the home button instead of swipe up)
  • Open the Bitwarden app again and log in
  • Go to the password entry for Amazon
  • Tap “Edit” in the upper right corner
  • Tap the little camera icon to the right of the “Authenticator Key (TOTP)” section
  • Point your phone’;s camera at the QR code and it should scan it automatically and fill in the “otpauth://” secret
  • Click save in the upper right corner

As soon as you click save you should see a new “Verification Code (TOTP)” section, with a timer to the right and a button to copy the code, right under the password section.

1 Like

Got as far as password entry for Amazon and what do you know, Verification code (TOTP) was there! And now I can log into Amazon with TOTP!

Thanks a lot. You are far better than official Bitwarden support. When they reply to me, I will give them the solution you provided.

Once again, thank you.

1 Like