On the pc I am writing from, I have Bitwarden installed four times:
- the official destkop app
- the browser extension in Firefox
- the browser extension in Edge
- the browser extension in Chrome
All four installations act independently as far as locking/unlocking goes, so even if I set the autolock timeout to 4 hours on all of those, I quite frequently have to retype the password because I close and switch browsers.
It would be a way nicer experience if all those installations on the same pc could maintain a single unlock session.
- Unlocking from any should unlock all
- Locking any (manually or via timeout, but not by closing the browser) should lock all
- Opening any browser while the desktop app is unlocked should show the Bitwarden extension as already unlocked
The machinery should be in place since as I understand biometric unlock from desktop browsers, recently implemented, relies on communication between the browser extensions and the desktop app.
By the way I can’t use biometric unlock: my company pc disables Windows Hello by policy, and my home pc does not have a fingerprint scanner or a supported webcam (no infrared and depth capabilities).