Lock/unlock browserExt and DesktopApp altogether

This has been requested before but in a (maybe) confusing way and didn’t get much attention. I’ll try to do better.

The requested feature:

Add the ability for the browser extension and the desktop app to “talk” with one another so they would lock/unlock together.

The desired outcome:

When we unlock the browser extension, the desktop app would unlock as well (assuming it is already running) and, conversely, when the desktop app locks because, say, the system is put to sleep, the browser extension would lock too.

It seems weird (read hazardous) to me that the browser extension be still unlocked when the computer wakes from sleep. Am I paranoid?

Yes, please. Coming from 1Password to Bitwarden. If the user has a STRONG password for Bitwarden, they’re logging in minimum of 2x a day (once for app, once for browser extension) it is much more cumbersome and encourages WEAKER Bitwarden master passwords.

Really users must login more often: when timed out, using another browser, after restating…

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what pushed you away from 1Password? And what attracted you towards Bitwarden?

Mainly, the cost of Teams for 1Password $4-$8 per user per month vs Bitwarden ~$1-$3 per user per month.

I see good reviews (iOS app store 4.9 stars) and come across a few articles praising Bitwarden. Helpful that Bitwarden is cross platform and web interface. Mainly use macOS and iOS but good for BYOD employees.

Me too… It would be very nice to unlock one with the other. :+1:

1Password has two extensions available, one of which (1PasswordX) is distinct from the app’s. IMHO, 1PX is much handier then the app extension, but like Bitwarden’s extension, it presently cannot “speak” with the app (at least Windows) version. With respect to Bitwarden, I much prefer it’s desktop navigation over the (Chrome) extension, and I access it through the tray icon. At the moment, I’m considering which tool to adopt.

Am I correct that I can’t log in to a site from the app unless the extension is logged in first? I just tried and, as I expected, the context menu login requires log on through the extension. I’m not sure what would happen if I had tried to access a site at which Bitwarden (app) autofilled my creds.

I can’t speak for Windows, but on Mac, you can’t can’t log into a site from the app (aside from manual copy/paste, of course). You can launch a URL from the app but it won’t autofill in the browser. At that point, the app is merely as useful as a bookmark, more or less.

I just realize I use the app less and less over time. I agree with you that the app navigation is easier than the extension (which is more like a port of the mobile app), but I can’t think of an operation the app could do that the extension can’t.
The extension even allows to have multiple windows at the same time (!), which the app can’t do.