Can't understand Safari Browser Extension in Mac

Hello, I bought a premium license and I’m happy with Bitwarden. Even though I don’t understand one thing: I set my Bitwarden app to lock when my Mac is locked, so when screen saver stars, Bitwarden is locked and I need to entry my Master Password to get back in. But Safari browser extension does work that way, so even when Bitwarden app is locked, anyone can get in to my vault through my Safari browser extension.

Is there any way to make Safari browser extension to make ir behave like Bitwarden app?? (not with time like it is in options). I hope my point is clear. Thank you.

1 Like

I am not 100% sure, but locking Bitwarden when your OS locks probably requires the browser extension to communicate with the desktop app, which is not available currently.
The only option is
to set timeout
OR
automatically lock Bitwarden when the browser restarts.( I use this option)

1 Like

Thank you! but in Mac (when browser restarts) is no useful since Safari is always open so BW extension never locks.
Chrome extension allows option (when systems lock) but not Safari extension.

Please I need help finding a work-around with Safari extension so I can use Bitwarden. Thank you.

I have the same problem… the Safari extension is set to lock after 5 minutes, but a whole week can go by without me using my Mac, it will spend that whole time asleep, and I’ll wake it up on the weekend and the Safari extension is still logged in?

Something is wrong here.

Confirmed on macOS Mojave and latest Safari build & BW extension. That is not expected at all.

I filed a bug report on github: Vault Timeout Does Not Lock BW on Safari If Mac Is Sleeping · Issue #1969 · bitwarden/browser · GitHub

I also tried this on Firefox, but the vault timeout works as expected with that browser.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming! I’ll get some attention on this as soon as possible.