Sort items by date of modification, addition, last use, etc

Thanks for checking in, this functionality is bundled in with improvements to the web vault coming this year.

6 Likes

As far as a tabular view for logins, a workaround that might work for you would be exporting your Bitwarden vault as a CSV and opening in your spreadsheet software of choice.

My hack workaround is to keep the LastPass extension loaded in another browser and delete item from lastpass once Iā€™ve changed that same itemā€™s password in Bitwarden. Itsā€™ a pain, but it works.

1 Like

This year? Doesnā€™t leave much time :joy:

In seriousness though, sort by password last modified/updated date would be incredibly useful. For example, you could check passwords not updated within the last year, and either update the password or delete the account.

2 Likes

At present an unfiltered vault sorts alphabetically but as soon as a filter is entered thereā€™s no discernible order. Any sort should also be applied to filtered views.

The data appears alphabetical to you because it was already sorted before the import.

Not so. I added items afterwards and everything stayed alpha sorted (when there is no filter applied).

Do you use a Windows application, web vault, or web browser extension?

I use Firefox and Chrome web pages in Linux Mint.

I created an account to add to the many voices requesting the sort functions. Another key use case is when one decides to change passwords for many accounts at once, it would be easy to see what was changed by sorting last modified.

In testing the different password managers such as 1Password, Lastpass (I know, I know), and Bitwarden, the sort function is the one thing that would keep me from jumping in for my use case.

I read in previous posts that this feature is comingā€“can we get an estimate delivery date?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hey @snovvman thanks for checking in, no specific ETA at this time but we will be sure to share as more info becomes available :+1:

3 Likes

Migrating from LastPass & needing to change my most recently used, but not yet updated passwords is exactly why Iā€™m here wondering why this isnā€™t a feature yetā€¦ sigh.

If you install the Bitwarden CLI, then you can use this workaround or this workaround, which were posted higher up in this thread.

Thanks @grb I created a new post with those commands and added it to the tips section: Community Tips - Bitwarden Community Forums

@bw-admin, I appreciate adding to the tips section and the workaround, but it is not practical for real-time use cases. I, and Iā€™m sure others as well, are still very interested [read: desperate] to have BW build in the sort features in the web and mobile apps. It would be a game changer. I am at the juncture of deciding which password manager to use and recommend to colleagues, clients, friends, and family. This is the one key feature missing.

Again, I am very interested to know when there is an ETA (even if itā€™s just approximate) for the feature release.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Thanks @snovvman it is not a replacement for this feature request, simply an additional resource for those comfortable with the CLI.

As indicated above, the team is working on sorting for the web vault, before exploring other platforms. No specific launch ETA at this point but we will share more as it becomes available.

As a reaction to the recent LastPass breach, I have seen some community members express a preference for having all vault data encrypted, including the timestamps. I suspect that any future efforts to accomplish this could break time-based sorting functionality, depending on how it has been implemented. Hopefully the devs can come up with a sorting framework that would work also if the timestamps become encrypted at some point in the future. Perhaps they are already aware of this consideration, but in case not, maybe you can bring it to their attention.

1 Like

Thanks @grb I have only seen a couple inquiries on that one, but it would be a great candidate for a specific feature request to guage voting and discussion.

@Chris_Magnuson I tried to use your PowerShell command (knowing very little about PS), I stringed the command together to look like this: .\bw list items | ConvertFrom-Json | Select-Object -Property Name, RevisionDate | Sort-Object -Property RevisionDate -Descending | Select-Object -First 10

After entering the mater pw, I got a blank Name and RevisionDate, but no entries. Any ideas why? Thank you!

Would love this kind of feature. It would be super helpful in finding passwords that havenā€™t been changed in a long time.

1 Like