Sort items by date of modification, addition, last use, etc

Vault Sort - Order By

• When looking at a vault, either personal or shared across organization/family, having the ability to View the vault in various orders will help with the user with password maintenance. The only current sort order, alphabetical, would still be supported and the default view.

Features / Functions

• Being able to Sort Ascending or Descending by Recently USED will help in weeding out un-used passwords and quickly finding more recently USED.
  • Being able to Sort Ascending or Descending by Recently EDITED will help in fixing recently added records, or finding older records in need of up-keep.
3 Likes

I would add:

It would be beneficial to be able to explicitly see when a recordā€™s password was modified. While it would be helpful to see when any part of a record was modified, being able to see specifically when a password was last changed would be very helpful.

I have voted for this topic and started one of my own regarding password age flags that is very much along these lines that Iā€™d also appreciate votes for!

Feature name

• Password Age Flag

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently? Right now, if Iā€™m looking at a list of passwords in the Vault Items, I cannot see when a password was last changed for that item. If I click on an item, I can see when a record was last updated, but it doesnā€™t seem clear if this was a password change, or if there was some other adjustment to the record.

For this feature, Iā€™d like to be able to see, in the Vault Items list and when in an entry, the current age of that password. Iā€™d also like to sort by a passwordā€™s age.

• What benefits will this feature bring? This will make it easier to identify passwords when passwords were last changed.

• Remember to add a tag for each client application that will be affected

Related topics + references

• Are there any related topics that may help explain the need and function of this feature? There is another topic that seems to touch on having the ability to have other sorting methods.

• Are there any references to this feature or function on other platforms that may be helpful? None that I can cite right now.

4 Likes

The sort feature canā€™t come soon enough. Iā€™ll be switching to BW the moment it drops. Please, do it soon!

1 Like

Checking again after a couple of yearsā€¦ and still not implemented. :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Essential search for me - and all the data is presentā€¦ simple query to be added as a link

Try this:
(.\bw list items | ConvertFrom-Json) | Select-Object -Property Name, RevisionDate | Sort-Object -Property RevisionDate -Descending | Select-Object -First 10

Hereā€™s actually what I ended up doing when I found this thread:
(.\bw list items | ConvertFrom-Json) | Select-Object -Property name, type, revisionDate | Sort-Object -Property RevisionDate -Descending | Export-Csv -Path .\output.csv

Added the type (1 = pw, 2 = note, 3 = card, 4 = address/autofill) and piped it out to a CSV.

Hereā€™s a quick and dirty example using the CLI and jq to get entries and sort on revisionDate

bw list items | jq -r '.[] | "\(.name),\(.login.uris[0].uri),\(.revisionDate)" ' | sort -k3 -t, | column -t -s,

Note that the revisionDate is the last time the entry was modified, not necessarily the last time the password was changed.

1 Like

I was panicking just the other day because I couldnā€™t find a password I just changed.

If I could make the newest float to the top, I would have found it.

1 Like

You can make all the excuses you want, but itā€™s a shame that in the 21st century there can be software that canā€™t sort items!

1 Like

OMG, I opted for another password manager years ago because sorting wasnā€™t implemented. I just came back to Bitwarden and CANNOT believe sorting isnā€™t in ANY of its platforms - this is nuts. All of the folks impacted by other security flaws are looking for a better option, what they must think when they look at BW?!

Iā€™m sticking around this time but come on !!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Sam, the team is currently exploring this functionality for the web vault, we will share more information as it becomes available.

Once this has been added to the clients, I will drop 1Password. Tried BW once again last week after a few years and was quite disappointed as this seems like a basic feature.

2 Likes

Yes please!
I just came over from the dark side (LP) and the only thing I miss is the ability to sort my vault entries by most recently used.

that would be an very Good feature on Desktop, Mobile and Web

1 Like

You can get a ā€œgrid versionā€ by exporting your vault as an unencrypted .csv and then opening the file with Excel or Google Sheets

1 Like

There should be an ā€œAll itemsā€ button at the very top of the left sidebar, is that what youā€™re looking for?

1 Like

Sort by Category and Sort by Vault are already implemented: you can choose each category and vault from the sidebar on the left

I came from lastpass, and their breach(es) remind me that I need to change all my valuable passwords now. I just imported from lastpass, so my (now better protected) passwords in bitwarden are the same as the (now compromised) passwords from lastpass.

I have many hundreds of passwords, and want to start to change them beginning with the most valuable (banking) ones. It will take dozens of hours to change them all, so it needs to be done a bit at at time.

The inability to sort by updated date/time makes it far more difficult to keep track of what has been changed and what remains.

Please allow sorting of update date sooner than later. my security would benefit greatly from this addition.

1 Like

This would be very useful to me, to be able to see when a login was created, last used, or modified. All useful information to help with managing the hundreds of logins that I have. Would allow me to see the most used or unused items that perhaps could be removed or updated!

2 Likes