Some basic questions for new user

I just started to use Bitwarden on Win 10 with Chrome, so, I hope I’m not over-doing my questions!

1. When I create a new login with a user name and password, isn’t Bitwarden supposed to offer to save it? I doesn’t seem to do so, unless there’s a setting that I must activate.

2. When I access the Chrome extension, it opens to the current browser tab, where about all I can do is create a login. Can it be made to open to all logins or at least to my vault? It actually would seem much easier to just access my logins from the windows desktop program. Is there a way to create a tray icon for the Windows app? Edit: I just found that a tray icon is created when I open the desktop app. It’l probably be easier to run it on Windows startup.

3. Is it typically the case that when I go to a site in my vault, I must right-click a field, like user name and then go through the context menu auto-fill process, or is there an auto-login feature? If the site uses a separate page for user name and password, I must go through the process twice, if I understand correctly.

4. I know that I can share items within Bitwarden. However, does Bitwarden have a feature through which I can share my account with a designated person (“emergency access”) after a specific period of time goes by after Bitwarden notifies me of an emergency request? Thanks!

Jimmy

1. for some reason bitwarden’s detection when it comes to making new logins aren’t that good. Better off save the password somewhere safe in case BW doesn’t save the login.

2. Not too sure what you mean here; you can choose from the drop down menu if you wanted to create a login/card/identity or secure note. For all logins, just use the search bar in the plugin or head to the My Vault tab. Otherwise use desktop app or online vault.

3. Auto fill can be enabled in settings or ctrl+shift+L will auto fill your login (if there is more than 1 account it will fill the account you used last time)

4. Currently not a feature

hope that helps!

Thanks very much!

Not too sure what you mean here; you can choose from the drop down menu if you wanted to create a login/card/identity or secure note. For all logins, just use the search bar in the plugin or head to the My Vault tab. Otherwise use desktop app or online vault.

I see how to create a new item. However, the extension always opens to the view in the attached screenshot. But if I want to navigate to a site (login), I have to type in a search or click the My Vault icon followed by the Login icon. Some tools allow a browser extension to be set to always open to a chosen category, like Logins in Bitwarden. That’s why it may just be easier for me to open the desktop app and run from the tray icon.

Auto fill can be enabled in settings or ctrl+shift+L will auto fill your login (if there is more than 1 account it will fill the account you used last time)

Found it. I did see that it’s experimental, and thus far I’ve found that it’s not terribly reliable. Sometimes it works, but most often not.

It also may be preferable if Bitwarden automatically placed a small icon in each login box, so we could click the icon instead of going through the context menu.

I see, unfortunately Bitwarden doesn’t allow you to set a specific tab to open to on default. It doesn’t support a small icon on the side of the login like some other password managers either. However give the devs some time and they’ll add it sooner or later.

You have to manually copy the shortcut of Bitwarden into your startup folder. And if you set the option to minimize at startup in Bitwarden, Bitwarden automatically starts when Windows starts and goes directly into the system tray. This works for me like a charm. :slight_smile:

You don’t have to use the context menu, just clicking the extension icon on toolbar is sufficient, if URLs are properly enterd/detected. I actually never use the context menu.