Persistent Bitwarden UI and maintain unsaved data

OK! That does work. I was under the erroneous impression that the behaviour of an undocked window was the same.

I want to bring another amazing behavior model (on 1 more site).

IMGUR.com – Monster of online photo storage and placement . If you want to back up your text on any forum with a photo, then most likely it will be IMGUR.com .

MS Office Document (online)
I repeat. IMGUR.com and MS Office Document (online) – do not have these EDIT , SAVE buttons.
These are only 2 enterprises that I remembered. There are probably hundreds of them.
Everything is done here for the sake of speed. Fundamentally changed the model of work , which is more than 40 years old ! How many more years to pull this ?
There are no extra buttons. Everything is solved using instant backup, History
Thousands of enterprises conduct their activities in MS Office Document (online). The volumes of -WORD or -EXCEL files reach tens of megabytes each.
But it was MS who first changed the outdated methods of work. Imagine if someone in 1990 suggested removing the SAVE button… How would they look at him ?
But MS did it first.
And the whole world somehow copes with this model, and successfully uses it.
Resume: I need no butons EDIT and SAVE.

BITWARDEN , don 't lag behind the progress !

1 Like

after all, BITWARDEN developers are gradually meeting the wishes of users - to make a permanent interface.

In 3 browsers that understand BITWARDEN in their Sidebar.
OPERA and FIREFOX – IMMEDIATELY created a permanent tab in the Sidebar themselves, after installing from the Chrome Store (there is no BITWARDEN in the Opera Store), without additional help. Great!

EDGE was only able to install the extension, it is difficult for him with the Sidebar. It has many features, many applications in its Sidebar, but not BITWARDEN.

VIVALDI needed help, BUT only he gave the extension connection address in his Sidebar! This is the address.

`chrome-extension://nngceckbapebfimnlniiiahkandclblb/popup/index.html

Using it, you can try to connect in the Sidebar of your browser.

I cut off the excess – in fact, this is just the main page of the extension, which can be found in your profile in your browser. But VALALDI was just the first to show clearly that address :).

The sidebar is not that people want!

Most of users use the popup window on the extension button, not the sidebar!

So, please implement autosaving of the form state on close, and that’s it! It’ll solve all problems with lost data!

3 Likes

I don’t agree with this, for passwords we need the Save button! The updating of an item should be a rare and a specific action, protected from accidentally edits!

This is not a document, this is a record!

1 Like

@Murz was responding to @serega_da’s suggestion to eliminate Save, not to your comment in support of sidebars.

Sidebar is a good addition, but the common usage is the popup, that misses the autosave of the state on close. This is not an autosave of the edited item, but just to restore the full form state on the next popup open.

1 Like

Conducting a full literary meta-analysis of this thread is off-topic, but Murz posted two replies, separately responding to both of the two comments posted by serega_da. You mistakenly thought that the second response was meant for you. If you disagree, please respond to me by DM, so that we don’t pollute this thread any further (or feel free to give this answer a :-1: reaction, if you wish to register your disagreement in public).

I agree, the application is in the sidebar separately, in the address bar — separately. I sent an email to the developers, and they even replied that it was impossible to force the extension to be on the screen all the time. ! It is very sad to hear such an opinion, far from the reality. I wrote – there is an extension (Transover), which can do it. There is my video somewhere above. But the developers have made the unpinning a floating window, which is not possible to use. When will it be finished?

Bitwarden should be prompting to save the Unsaved item when close button is clicked before saving an Item. It should prompt for saving the changes or Discard the new entry.

Expected Result

1. Go to ‘Bitwarden Desktop’
  2. Click on 'Add Item ’ Button
  3. Add the entries for the new item
  4. Click on ‘Close window button’
  5. Bitwarden Should warn about an unsaved item and ask for Saving or discard the changes.

I love bitwarden, I really do, but that’s what drives me crazy sometimes and prevents people and companies from using bitwarden without problems.

In my opinion, something urgently needs to happen here.

Thx @dpattersonnz and others here that I am not alone with that. I thought it but now I know it :smiley:

@Kevin_Harris, This is a UX Feature Request that should be highly considered / prioritized. When I moved my family from LastPass to BW our top two UX issues were the following:

1. The lack of the overlay in login forms (which was just released end of 2023. (Thank you!)
  2. Loss of data entry/edits when clicking outside the extension pop-up.

I know there are work-arounds to this second issue, but they’re not intuitive. There are other things that would be nice UX improvements, but losing your work because you didn’t think before you clicked outside the popup (say to copy a URL, username, or other value) creates frustration.

Can the Addon stay on the last selected? For several sites, autofill won’t work. And for some sites I use BW to store other info e.g Company Number for Companies House. Would like add on to remember the last login I looked at so that I don’t have to search for it 3 times in a row.

@BonzoMartini Welcome to the forum!

Please review the following two Feature Requests:

I can merge your post into one of the above threads if you let me know which one you feel is most similar to what you’re asking for. Alternatively, I can close your thread, and you can go add your support to both of the existing feature requests.

Sure, please merge it. It seems like 3 different versions of wanting the same functionality

i’ve suffered in silence about this for as long as i’ve been a BW fan. but others have not been as silent. let me simply AGREE! and add, this is default behavior in Word / Excel since the dark ages. you change something, it asks if you want to save it. i really don’t care about everything being tracked, but if a password gets created, the UI should ask if you want to save before letting you close and lose the entry…

Alternatively, just do the same behavior as the right-click “add login” —> force popup of a new window when you click to add an entry via the toolbar dropdown. Either would address the data loss problem.

When you use the browser toolbar to open the Bitwarden dialogue and begin to edit a note or password, and then need to click off the toolbar window to capture data from something, say the address bar or a webpage etc, the dialogue disappears and you loose everything entered. This is really bad if you are entering a long secure note or a long recovery code for a OTP.

Also the Android app, if you are entering some data and have to switch to another app for too long, or if you have to stop and come back later, such that the lock screen comes up, you will loose all entered data.

Both of these have caused me significant headaches recently and not loosing data like this is a minor but significant improvement that is needed!

1 Like

I could be satisfied with something like this, an option to add new items in a pop-out. (bonus points if the save button closed the pop-out window.)

I think this would need to be a configurable option that is disabled for current installations (maybe could get away with enabling it on new installations?). Based on recent feature releases that impact user interaction, I imagine there would be an uproar from several users who don’t like Bitwarden popping up in a new window.

Could the browser add on retain information.

In between generating a password (and sometimes a hide-my-email address) the pop up closes and looses all info and I have to start again.

1 Like