My improvement for importing data from "1Password"

There is already an article how to import your data from “1Password” into “Bitwarden”:
https://bitwarden.com/help/article/import-from-1password/

I tried importing my logins into “Bitwarden” but there are some things which are missing after the import or which didn’t work as I wanted the import function to work. So I had to do some things manually in Microsoft Excel after exporting my data from “1Password”.

I was using a computer with Windows 10 and “1Password v7” installed. So I only had the possibility to export as a CSV file.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Select all login enries in “1Password” you want to export and chose “Export” when right clicking on them.
  2. Export CSV from “1Password”.
  3. Import CSV file into Microsoft Excel to check and edit exported data.
  4. If you are using German umlauts check exported CSV if they were exported correctly! Otherwise change characters manually.
  5. If you are using 2FA codes you should check if all TOTP-links are in the same column. Otherwise cut and paste the links into the column and rename this folder into “2FA”. “Bitwarden” doesn’t import 2FA codes correctly. But after importing into “Bitwarden” you now have the possibility to search for “2fa” as a filter and you will get all entries which include 2FA codes. Now you have to edit these entries and copy the otpauth-link into the field “Authenticator Key (TOTP)”. After saving the 2FA code is active and can be used as normal.
  6. If you are using tags in “1Password” and want to have them as folders in “Bitwarden” please be aware that you are only able to use one folder per entry. So you should only have one tag per entry. “Bitwarden” doesn’t detects tags from “1Password” and switches them to folders automatically. So just rename the column “TAGS” into “Folder”. After creating all folders manually in “Bitwarden” you also have to manually put the entries into the folders. Therefore you now find a custom field “Folder” in each entry. You only have to select this folder and delete the custom field afterwards.
  7. If you are using favorites and want to take them with you you should add the column “Favorite” at the end of all entries because “1Password” doesn’t export favorite status. Set the value to “IsFav” for your favorites. After importing into “Bitwarden” you are able to search for “IsFav” as a filter, mark every entry as favorite manually and delete the custom field.
  8. Export your data as a separator-separated CSV file from Microsoft Excel.
  9. Import your data into “Bitwarden” selecting “1Password 6 and 7 Windows (csv)” file.

Please be aware that there are a lot of values which are not imported correctly into “Bitwarden”! Mostly they are imported as custom fields. So please check complex entries before deleting them from “1Password”!

Also I only exported my logins from “1Password”. Secure Notes and other stuff I will create manually in “Bitwarden”!

I hope that this little guide helps importing your logins from “1Password” into “Bitwarden”. If you have any improvements just answer and I will take a look at my guide. :wink:

1 Like

I wish I would have been aware of the tags → folder would have saved me a lot of time. Now I have no idea which entries are 2FA, 2FA-AppleID, 2FA-GoogleID from 1P into BW without doing this manually.

Sorry, @D_Y.
Indeed, it is a little tricky to move from “1Password” to “Bitwarden”. Hopefully this will be improved in the future.

1 Like