My dad passed away (shared vault)

My dad passed away last month. We had a shared vault. What is the best way to get the items we shared into my personal account? There doesn’t seem to be any way to quickly move them across. Thanks.

I am so sorry for your loss, @Sophia. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to lose a parent.

Your best approach for “moving” the shared items into your personal vault from the shared family organization might be to clone the items and then delete the originals. Not the most elegant solution, I know, but I don’t think there is a better way to do it.

Of course, before you try this, it would be a very good idea to backup both your personal vault and the organizational vault first, just in case some thing unexpected happens. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Thanks for your kind words, it’s much appreciated :slight_smile:

I shall try what you suggested… I was also thinking maybe export the shared vault and then import into the personal vault, would that work?

Hi again @Sophia - you might be able to export the organizational vault as a CSV and import to your personal vault, but honestly I have never done this so I am not sure if there is anything to watch out for.

Exporting/importing might even work with a native (JSON) file, but I don’t think so because of the way that organization vaults are organized differently than personal vaults. Perhaps someone else here knows?

1 Like

So, to answer part of my own question, exporting the shared vault and then importing it into my own worked like a charm. No problem at all, which is a relief because I just couldn’t see myself clone hundreds of entries.

Which brings me to the next question, how do I go about deleting his account? Would that delete the shared vault as well or should I delete the shared vault first?

2 Likes

That’s great that the import worked! Thanks for letting everyone know.

Regarding how to delete accounts, you should find these guidelines helpful:
https://bitwarden.com/help/article/delete-your-account/

I am not sure if it matters which account you delete first, but I would be tempted to delete the personal account and then the organization.

1 Like

Thanks very much! Another item crossed off the long list of things that needed to be sorted… At least this went relatively smooth. Much appreciated :relaxed:

4 Likes

Glad you got sorted @Sophia. Very sorry for your loss - it’s 13 years since I lost my Dad. It may not feel like it now, but I assure you things get easier to deal with over time. Love to you and all your family.

1 Like

Thank you so much :heartbeat:

Final update: once I verified that all information was in my personal vault, I left the shared one.

Then I logged into my dad’s account and purged his account. Then deleted the organization, after that finally his entire account.

So I can definitely say it’s a very easy process in case anyone faces a similar challenge (though hopefully for happier reasons).

3 Likes