Improve password change/creation detection

Feature name

Password change/creation detection

Feature function

When I create an account on a site and enter a password in a password field, at form submission Bitwarden should detect that and ask me to save credentials.
Same when changing a password for an existing site account password. Bitwarden should detect it and ask me to either add it as a new entry or to update an existing one, in which case it should additionally ask me which one to update (currently if by miracle it detects the password then what happens is that I end up with two entries for the same site).

Currently it almost never detects such password creation/change.
Itā€™s maybe a challenge to make those detections, but LastPass was working fairly well.

Related topics + references

1 Like

Iā€™m seeing the same problem. I just set up my Bitwarden account today, and it hasnā€™t popped up yet.

2 Likes

I agree that this should be improved. As a workaround, what Iā€™ve started doing is creating a BW entry just before I sign up for a site. Then, when registering, I use BW to enter the credentials Iā€™ve just created.

4 Likes

Yup i just realized that this feature is missing hope they add it in the next update

The feature is there but does not work well on every site.

1 Like

I never liked the ā€œdetect password changesā€ of other password managers as they did not always get it since every website is different.

I prefer the method of creating the item in the vault first so I know I have the password saved. I canā€™t tell you how many times Iā€™ve had my previous password manager not pick up password changes, at least with this method I know for sure the password is being saved.

4 Likes

Yep, the magic word in this request is ā€˜Improveā€™.

1 Like

And I always liked the simplicity of the ā€œdetect password changesā€ feature. I always tolerated the very few mistakes LastPass was making ā€“ and because of the password generator history, that was never a real problem ā€“ because of all the time I saved and the workflow fluidity it provided. Now with Bitwarden itā€™s always uselessly long. The workflow it imposes me feels so archaic.

2 Likes

I agree that there is room for improvement. Here is an example banking site that is flawlessly handled by LastPass, but BW botches the jobā€¦ saves ********** instead of the typed password when offering to save, and if you correct the password manually in BW, you get a login error from the site when autofilling.

edit: I notice that copy/pasting is disabled by the website for the password field. Maybe that has something to do with the problem? I would suggest creating a sticky post where where people can report websites / apps with which BW is not performing as expected.

Concerning the website in my post above, it is handled correctly by LastPass and the built-in password managers of Chrome and Firefox. 1password and BW both fail auto-filling and saving as described above.

This definitely still needs improving. It is very hit and miss right now :confused:

3 Likes

Agree with these, changing a password feels so archaic
I need to generate a password (from the webpage, app, or extension). Copy it. Go to the Vault, edit the site, paste the password. Save. Fill the form and Save it.
and after that, Iā€™ll have my password in the clipboard, which I donā€™t think itā€™s secureā€¦

3 Likes

This is so essential for non-tech savvy users that I cannot imagine them running into problems without of this lacking feature. This might need to be the top priority as a usability feature that needs to be added ASAP.

3 Likes

I have both BitWarden and 1Password running, as well as the Macā€™s Keychain. When I go to create a new login, both 1P and Keychain popup to ask, but not BitWarden. Even when I try to create a new login on BitWardenā€™s own website. This is clearly not working as it should be when it rarely detects the password and I hope they fix that soon.

We have a GitHub official thread with a form to report websites that donā€™t behave appropriately:

Thanks to all who submit issues!

1 Like

I registered to post this. This is the only downside but itā€™s pretty annoying. I easily forget passwords when quickly creating an account and for some sites I donā€™t use the password generator.

2 Likes

I think the best design to serve both who like this and who dislike this is just add an option to turn it on/off.

Because as Tin_Robot also noticed Bitwarden rarely detects new passwords (and almost always considers password changes as new passwords) itā€™s a bit useless to fill that form at this moment because I would add almost every site I visit. When missing a site will be the exception, then ok, but for now, we are simply not even near that.

Here is a link for your to report sites which fail to prompt to save credentials:

Source: Bitwarden does not prompt to save credentials Ā· Issue #1620 Ā· bitwarden/browser Ā· GitHub

1 Like

On many websites when you change your password (example ring.com), Bitwarden doesnā€™t detect the change of password, so if you use the Bitwarden password generator, you have to go through the tedious process of changing the password in the Bitwarden vault and hope you havenā€™t accidentally overwritten the clipboard with something else.