Detect Password Change not working

Does the “detect password change” feature described here still work for folks? Detect password changes

I can’t seem to get it to trigger for the life of me, I’ve changed my password on multiple sites that seem to meet the “3 login prompt” and other requirements but I never see the popup from BitWarden to update my stored password.

I’m on Windows 10 and I’ve tried it from Chrome and Brave browser both running the extension v1.41, I’ve tried multiple sites including Reddit but it never works for me.

1 Like

After updating passwords on a dozen sites finally found some that work - Amazon and Zappos for example. This is likely more of a website code issue with inconsistent password field tags.

I get that’s impossible to catch this on all websites but I’m just surprised at how many it misses, especially Reddit which is used as an example in the BitWarden tutorial videos!

Same here.
I like Bitwarden and happy from switching over from LastPass because it’s open source, but password change detection or even new credential creation detection is really bad.

On LastPass, missed detection was the exception. On Bitwarden, detection is the exception.

1 Like

Damn, I specifically came on the forum and searched topics to express that I am really irritated that Bitwarden almost never detect password change or creation in site fields.
And to whom am I replying? Myself!!!
(No I’m not crazy, I just forgot I had already expressed my irritation)
So yes, it is really irritating.

2 Likes

Strange - I have not noticed this issue. But I have to say, I did get a chuckle out of your last post! Sorry that you got so frustrated, but I enjoyed your humour!

Please, if you see this message, please donate your vote to my feature request, it’s free!

1 Like

Changing the password for an online service is cumbersome and/or risks getting lockec out of the service. I suggest this as very valuable new feature of BitWarden. Related feature requests. Job stories for changing the password on some online service:

1. While I change my password for a online service, I want to have access to the BitWarden password generator so that I can easily choose a new, strong password that meets the requirements of the online service

2. While I change my password for a online service, I want to have both the old and new passwords easily accessible, so I can change password on online services that require both the old and new password to complete the change password flow

3. While I change my password and the BitWarden browser plugin window closes, the old and new passwords are still there when I open BitWarden plugin again, so that I can complete the change password flow

4. When I have completed the change password flow, I want to log in to the online service with the new password, so that I can confirm that the password change was successful

5. Main motivating job story: When I discover that the change password operation failed for some reason, I want to still have access to the old password, so I won’t get locked out of the online service

6. When I confirm that the password has been successfully changed, I want to make the password manager no longer store the old password, so that I can easily log in with the new password next time

Possible solutions:

1. Log into the service, navigate to the change password page.

2. Open browser plugin, click on the View button for the service

3. Below “Autofill and save”, there is a new button “Change password”, or there could be a Change button at the password field, next to the Check, View and Copy buttons

4. This opens up new UI with the old and new password fields, allowing me to enter the new password myself or generate it. The UI contains buttons for completing the flow (forget old password) and for cancelling the flow (forget the new password)

Im finding im having the same issue here.
No prompt to update after resetting passwords.

I also just signed up for bitwarden community and it didnt prompt me to save the account during the sign up process.
I got the activation email and then i was automatically logged into the community. It wasnt until i logged out and back in using the password generated by the chrome addon that was still in my clipboard did bitwarden prompt to add this to its list.