Fingerprint Support (All Platforms) - To do not re-prompt the master password all the time

Hi,
Excellent question, the answer is: it’s not different. If you want Windows to encrypt your hard drive (with bitlocker) then it won’t let you unlock with your fingerprint, for that very same reason.

François

If you want to see further details on Windows Unlock (in another way), please check this:

1. [SOLVED] 2 questions about vault session unlock
  2. Log into Windows desktop app using mobile app

I just voted on this one. I also want to note that LastPass, 1Password and Dashlane all have this feature now for Windows. This is the only feature holding me back from Bitwarden at this time.

1 Like

Same here. I do not want to enter my master password 20 times a day.

I know the main topic of this thread is to unlock the vault with the fingerprint, but it would also be nice if we had a PIN unlock in other platforms at this time. (In addition to this, of course.)

As Kyle has already created the proper thread, it’s not necessary to create a new one, but let’s put it together to make sure things are clear enough for everyone.

3 Likes

I came here specifically searching for this. I must echo other posters in saying this is the one and only remaining thing keeping me from switching from Lastpass to BitWarden.

1 Like

Indeed. I cannot contemplate moving to Bitwarden from 1Password until there is fingerprint support at minimum in the Chrome extension in macOS. I don’t want to leave my vault unlocked for huge portions of the day, but I also do not want to be entering my 30+ character master password multiple times a day either.

Crucially, I would be a paying customer, and I would rather be paying that money to Bitwarden than I would anyone else based on all of the other functionality I’ve seen. But I also cannot compromise either security or productivity so it is something that needs to be resolved.

5 Likes

Another waiting for FingerPrint support for Chrome Extension

1 Like

This is also my point of view. I really like BitWarden. I was changing from LastPass (premium) to BitWarden. Mostly because of the sh*t Firefox addon from Lastpass under Windows and because of FOSS.

Fingerprint support would be really important for me too.

1 Like

I really don’t want to compromise, but there is one. I have been testing BitWarden using its PIN security feature.

It does mean I feel happier having my lock out toned down to minutes rather than hours, and the master password is only required on restart.

But a six digit PIN number (and, yes, it’s a date, so not exactly difficult to guess if you know me) is a huge compromise compared to a finger print.

I’m just glad Touch/Face ID works on iOS at least. I’m still leaning more towards 1Password though unless the Chrome extension and App start supporting fingerprint.

1 Like

I didn’t read all posts but I definetly agree that an option to use fingerprint would be a very cool feature.
I m still using lastpass just for that function, hope they ll implement it in some way.
(windows hello could be the top)

1 Like

A solution could be create a secondary dekstop app just for windows 10 to publish in the Microsoft Store that work with windows hello and dialogue with browsers extensions

1 Like

I have a Verimark fingerprint scanner with U2F support but can’t get it to be recognized by the bitwarden Fido U2F option via my Chrome browser vault access. I initiate the registration process, name the device and plug it into a USB port (tried both USB 2 and 3), up comes a browser popup saying ‘Verifying it’s You’ or something, and pressing my finger on the device does not register. Eventually, bitwarden tells me of a device read failure. I also tried in incognito browser mode. Would you be able to provide more details on how you made it work? Thanks.

It’s been a while but I don’t recall having to do anything special.

The scanner was setup in Windows 10 with hello already configured before I used it for U2F, not sure if it makes a difference.

On Roboform 8 on Windows 10, it works well. It’s a super feature for those like my wife that really dislike when things get complicated. That’s the kind of stuff that make normal people use better safety.
It just have to advise for risks that can get higher when using this option.
Roboform, as other passwords manager works with a better and safer way of extensions. Extension can works alone with great restrictions, but relies on full desktop application to work with full features available. As I read previously in a statement, it’s probably safer when implemented correctly because it’s not relying on browsers and weakened by there flaws.
I will look or add that to requests.

1 Like

Maybe it could help :

1 Like

I just bought a PQI My Lockey for me and a second one for my mother-in-law, as I planned to install BitWarden on her computer so she can stop using the same (already compromised) password everywhere.
But I just discovered BitWarden for Windows does not support fingerprint readers !! :scream:

WHYYYYYYY !! :sob:

So, I vote for this feature request, too.

2 Likes

To ease such improvements to be added easily, it could help to change the fondations of Bitwarden. Look at this :

Right now, every Bitwarden 's apps and extensions are working alone. That causes many problems. First, to implement something like this, it have to be done to every instances working on Windows. Second, each time you need Bitwarden onto different situations, if it is opened twice for examples (main desktop’s application and Firefox extension, etc), it uses more memory than one instance. Finally, encryption into browsers is not the most secure because it has proven to have some security flaws that may still be true because they were related to coing languages conception.

1 Like

Waiting for this feature on Windows 10.

1 Like

Is this feature request amenable to include Windows Hello support, which would include Windows Hello facial recognition in addition to fingerprint support, too?

Or should we make a separate Feature Request?

We have two threads on just Windows Hello, one with 30+ votes already:

1 Like