Create new folder while creating a new item

Add a dropdown option in the folder assignment menu for “New Folder”. Selecting this option should expand an input box for a new folder name. Saving will create the new item, new folder, and assign the new item to it as well.

GitHub Issue: Create new folders inline while add/edit login · Issue #71 · bitwarden/clients · GitHub

2 Likes

This feature saves the user many unnecessary steps.

2 Likes

Yes, big +1.

Similar to Roboform:

I’m a new Bitwarden user and I’ve noticed that it really is a hassle to have to go back into settings to create a new folder.
It’s been more than a year since this thread was created and it’s a re-post from the one back in GitHub too. Hoping this will be implemented soon.

Any update on this?

In both the desktop app and web browser app, there should be the ability to Create New Folder right from within the dropdown box when selecting a folder to add a login to, to make it easier/quicker, so that we don’t have to navigate all the way to the Settings page just to create a new folder.

1 Like

To add to this - I suggest that the drop down should also be a text-entry field. That way we can type the folder we want and it will auto suggest (if it exists) or create a new folder. See how LastPass does it

2 Likes

I second this, it is pretty annoying. Especially since leaving the browser extension popup causes you to lose the work, so I have had to re-do my data entry after going back to add a folder.

Please add this! It is an annoying pain point and the only reason I would need to use the horrid web vault.

Creating a folder from the drop down menu kind of feels weird. I really like @kv87 suggestion.

I just started using Bitwarden, and this has already been a cause of frustration 3 times. It seems so obvious and intuitive. Please add it.

1 Like

Shouldn’t it be merged with this: Create new folder while creating a new item - #5 by Jakub
to combine the Votes, as both seem to ask for the same feature.

Btw. +1 from me

Yes, the whole folder handling is extremely complicated.
Creating Folders directly when creating new items,
creating folders in the Web Extension,
Drag and Drop to move items and folders.

Please just make this intuitive. I think this is quite a major point.

1 Like

I’m brand new to Bitwarden, I’m migrating from Lastpass. They have this feature, so I’m looking forward to see it implemented in Bitwarden as well.

This is such an obvious place for it to me - honestly I can’t even find where it is possible to create a folder, perhaps it’s not possible from the FF extension at all?

Thanks for the feedback @OJFord, it has been passed along to the team. Currently you can create folders by navigating to the settings menu.

1 Like

Thanks!

FWIW the main other thing I tried was navigating to Vault > Login, so you have the list of not-folder-ed items, and clicking the ‘+’. Perhaps ‘folder’ could either be a type of item added from there, or there could additionally be a ‘+folder’ icon next to the ‘+’.

I found this lack of functionality annoying right from the get go.
Please add.
It would also help to have a bunch of pre-defined folders, and for known sites to be saved to those folder by default (like lastpass does).
e.g.
gmail, outlook, zoho mail etc will go in a folder called EMAIL by default.
online app and tools go into a folder called PRODUCTIVITY TOOLS
etc

Bump and another hand in the air for this critical missing feature. Sure when somebody starts using Bitwarden, then won’t have that many items but they’ll soon end up with a bit long unmanaged list. As with all filing operations, little but often is the mantra so best practise of creating folders from the start is a very sensible suggestion.

Also, in the Bitwarden app where you can create folders, it’s not clear how you create an entry in a sub-folder, e.g. Clients/Apple. Right-click on the folder name (e.g. Clients) and “New folder” would be more intuitive IMO.