Bitwarden is down with blank screen under Linux OpenSuse

When I launch Bitwarden desktop I get a blank screen so this is very problematic for me.

Is this due to a recent Bitwarden update or my Linux?
Do you have any feedback or a solution?

I also posted a message on the OpenSuse forum but it may be specific to Bitwarden which justifies the duplicate in my opinion.

Ideas ?

1 Like

Welcome to the community @boiteolettre! Sorry to hear you’re having trouble - would you be able to give a little more information:

• Is this happening immediately after starting the desktop app?

• Is this happening prior to, before, or after logging in?

• What version are you running?

• Have you tried reinstalling since this post? If so, did that resolve the issue?

Thank you for your quick reply.

my version of Bitwarden is version 2023.9.0
Shell 25.8.4
Renderer 114.0.5735.289
Node 18.15.0
Architecturex64

This was actually happening after starting the application.

Being under BTRFS, following a suggestion, I did a rollback 2 days before the bug and restarted on an older kernel.
After these manipulations, Bitwarden works again.

By studying my systemd log very late yesterday evening, it seems that it is the update of the file nodejs-electron-25.8.2-1.1.x86_64 to nodejs-electron-25.8.4-1.1.x86_64 which is the cause of the bugs.
Unless I misunderstand.

Is it possible for you to intervene to correct this bug in one way or another?

Hi @boiteolettre out of curiosity, which package manager did you use to install the Bitwarden desktop app?

I use zypper and the standard repositories provided by OpenSuse to always have up-to-date software.

hi @boiteolettre - thanks for your patience. After discussing with the Engineering team, they determined using a supported client such as appimage would be a better idea.

Yes, I understand this point of view which allows the integrity of the application to be preserved without being at the mercy of the evolution of third-party software components.

However, I have a legitimate fear due to the sensitive nature of Bitwarden’s security. This concerns security updates which are provided with repositories. It’s reassuring.

Can the appimage you are developing be updated using a dedicated option?

Should you follow the procedure of downloading the latest version of the appimage on your site?

If this is the case, it is very restrictive and subject to forgetting with the resulting consequences for security.
I like Bitwarden because it’s secure, reliable and your developer team is responsive.
However, I will try your idea.

1 Like

Your feedback is definitely appreciated :slight_smile:

Happens to me too in Ubuntu Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS with the latest desktop release.
But completely fine if I revert to the previous release. (All AppImages)
Had to remove other embeded images due to new users but left URIs.

Also would be nice to have the option to disable auto updates. I need to download the app image everytime. Will see if read only priv will fix this.

Example:

Problem Version:
upload://l0WXsg5QGUAmxh5eTW45xTWKI0X.png

OS Info:
upload://90siJxabvqgy76YJOdqXHfKiD2X.png

Works on this version
upload://l0WXsg5QGUAmxh5eTW45xTWKI0X.png

1 Like

I’m having the same issue with the Bitwarden client, only in my case the AppImage has the same problem.

I’m using Pop!_OS version 22.04

I’ve tried:
Bitwarden from the Pop!_Shop
The .deb file found here
The AppImage found here

All are version 2023.9.2

I’m self-hosting Bitwarden, but I’m guessing this has nothing to do with the issue as the blank screen presents itself before I can even point Bitwarden to my server.

In all cases the app opens on the login screen, then goes blank after 4 seconds.
Is there anything else I could try?

1 Like

I have the same/similar issue where on starting the application the login screen is displayed briefly but quickly disappears after a few seconds. I encountered this with both the Flatpak (unsupported) and AppImage (supported) versions of the applications, using the latest version.

The Menu bar seems to work fine.

Here is the console output from starting the AppImage on the command line:

Oct 16, 06:56:00, /opt 
[user@host]$ ./Bitwarden-2023.9.2-x86_64.AppImage 
(node:24123) DeprecationWarning: file property is deprecated and will be removed in v5.
(Use `bitwarden --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)
Gtk-Message: 06:56:06.506: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
(node:24123) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'init')
    at BiometricsService.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_BitwarhQEQdS/resources/app.asar/main.js:47194:55)
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at /tmp/.mount_BitwarhQEQdS/resources/app.asar/main.js:47160:71
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
    at biometrics_service_awaiter (/tmp/.mount_BitwarhQEQdS/resources/app.asar/main.js:47156:12)
    at BiometricsService.init (/tmp/.mount_BitwarhQEQdS/resources/app.asar/main.js:47193:16)
    at Main.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_BitwarhQEQdS/resources/app.asar/main.js:53805:46)
    at fulfilled (/tmp/.mount_BitwarhQEQdS/resources/app.asar/main.js:53702:58)
(node:24123) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 2)
(node:24123) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading 'null')
    at new Menubar (/tmp/.mount_BitwarhQEQdS/resources/app.asar/main.js:45540:131)
    at MenuMain.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_BitwarhQEQdS/resources/app.asar/main.js:45594:56)
    at fulfilled (/tmp/.mount_BitwarhQEQdS/resources/app.asar/main.js:45564:58)
(node:24123) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 3)
06:56:11.929 › Checking for update
06:56:11.944 › Generated new staging user ID: aea78ea8-62e6-57a2-a961-f24e1392d989
06:56:12.833 › Update for version 2023.9.2 is not available (latest version: 2023.9.2, downgrade is disallowed).
[24158:1016/065649.661586:ERROR:gl_surface_presentation_helper.cc(260)] GetVSyncParametersIfAvailable() failed for 1 times!
Error sending from webFrameMain:  Error: Render frame was disposed before WebFrameMain could be accessed
    at WebFrameMain.send (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:94576)
    at WebContents.send (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:79721)
    at BrowserWindow.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_BitwarhQEQdS/resources/app.asar/main.js:46672:38)
    at BrowserWindow.emit (node:events:525:35)
[24158:1016/065706.308516:ERROR:gl_surface_presentation_helper.cc(260)] GetVSyncParametersIfAvailable() failed for 2 times!
Error sending from webFrameMain:  Error: Render frame was disposed before WebFrameMain could be accessed
    at WebFrameMain.send (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:94576)
    at WebContents.send (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:79721)
    at BrowserWindow.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_BitwarhQEQdS/resources/app.asar/main.js:46672:38)
    at BrowserWindow.emit (node:events:525:35)
1 Like

A bug report has been already filed and the devs are aware of the issue: Linux Desktop Client blanks out when entering vault key · Issue #6560 · bitwarden/clients · GitHub

Workaround: Downgrade to 2023.9.1

This is no solution if you use the AppImage 2023.9.2, it is an issue with electron in the newest version … see:

I’m a Linux Mint 21.1 (Edge) user, which is based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
I confirm this exact issue in version 9.2 for AppImage app, Flatpak version, and deb installer.

Downloading the AppImage for version 9.0 works fine on my machine. So there has to be something there in version 9.2.

1 Like

Yes, definitely a general issue!

Same problem with unusable app image client since update. Mint 20.1, Cinnemon.

Recommendation should be, to not update until other users “tested” what the creators obviously don’t test.

I would be happier, if such a thing could be tested before shipping a new version. A non-working Bitwarden client seriously disrupts my work.
Sure, downgrading is an option and for me that is usually a non-issue with community-driven open-source projects, because I am very thankful that these kind of resources exist and generally work so well.

This however is a software I’m paying for (my employer as well, btw). Not great…

Bitwarden on OpenSuse is still broken despite several updates to electron and nodejs.
It’s the AppImage that saves the day for me.

I use the Update item in the Help menu to make sure I’m always up to date.

I noticed that from now on it is the appImage which informs me of a new update and asks me to restart the application.
It’s very comfortable and reassuring.

The latest release of the AppImage (2023.9.3) fixed the issue for me.

Hello,

I am again faced with a white screen on the OpenSuse Tumbleweed application but especially on the AppImage which was my solution to the problem.

I have no update possible and I use:
Version 2023.9.3
Shell 25.9.1
Renderer 114.0.5735.289
Node 18.15.0
x64 architecture

Can you help me or push an update to my AppImage?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Thanks for the update.
But with this new update:
Version 2023.10.0
Shell 25.9.1
Renderer 114.0.5735.289
Node 18.15.0
Architecturex64

I still get a blank screen when launching the AppImage.
There is a problem.