Bitwarden extension for Firefox no longer working with bio-metrics or PIN

Windows 11 fully patched
Bitwarden 2023.8.2 desktop app
Firefox 116.0.3 64bits

​Since the last Bitwarden update 2023.8.2, I can no longer login to Bitwarden via Windows Hello (either fingerprint or PIN) in Firefox. What I get is a prompt for credentials when I click on the Bitwarden extension icon, it seems to accept them but stays locked.

I’ve tried:

• reinstalled Firefox Bitwarden extension
  • uninstalled all other extensions except Bitwarden
  • I can authenticate into Bitwarden desktop application fine with windows hello (pin and fingerprint)
  • I can authenticate fine with windows hello (both pin and fingerprint) on chrome and edge
  • I have the Bitwarden application running in the foreground during these logins
  • I checked all the relative permissions making sure I have required verification for browser integration and allow browser integration checked in the app, everything seems setup good.

This has all worked flawlessly for the past year until this last update. Any help appreciated.

2 Likes

Can confirm, having same issue as OP. Have tried all the same things as mentioned above.

Only thing to add is I got a warning from the bitwarden extension that unfortuantely I cleared without taking a screenshot and can’t seem to reproduce but it said something about “losing the secure channel with the bitwarden desktop application” or something like that - hopefully it helps!

Same for me.
Firefox extension stays in an endless loop of Windows Hello Authentication until Desktop app will be closed.
Additionaly the desktop app seems to ignore the Windows Hello on start action (I’ve enabled this too). The button can be pressed to login but it is not asking to login on its own.

Same here on Windows 10 22H2, Firefox 117.0 and Bitwarden Desktop App 2023.8.2.

I’m in loop with Firefox extension, so I can’t log in with master password neither.

I confirm that downgrading to 2023.7.1 all works fine again. It’s something about the new 2023.8.2 for sure.

In case you want to downgrade, here is the link: https://github.com/bitwarden/clients/releases/download/desktop-v2023.7.1/Bitwarden-Installer-2023.7.1.exe

1 Like

Same issue here. I did seem to get it working yesterday, but today it is completely non-functional, staying locked despite repeated Windows Hello unlock attempts.

Try closing the Bitwarden app out of the system tray, then restarting it. That seems to work for me. **Temporarily **

no luck here on M1 mac. I also can find no way to downgrade to 2.7 Only the MAC app store version can work with touch ID.
It seems the chrome and safari extensions work because they are updated to 2.8 but firefox is still on 2.7.1

So, I load the firefox nightly and allowed it to load unsigned extensions. When I load 2.8.2 from github all works correctly.

I guess we just have to wait for mozilla to sign the 2.8.2 extension so we can get the update.

Or just run the nightly until that happens…

Found a way to get it working…

If you load the firefox nightly and switch to you regular profile you use in release firefox, you can install the 2.8.2 unsigned extension from github. Then exit out of the nightly and reopen the normal firefox. the 2.8.2 extension will still be active and you can log into your vault with touch ID.

Another reason to use open source browser and open source password manager.

Again you can just wait for mozilla to sign the 2.8.2 ext. then update to it. However if you know how and are willing to go to github and download the code you don’t have to wait. I don’t like waiting.

Same issue here, thanks for the temporary workaround.

Just had to do the whole nightly step again. Firefox scanned the extension and found no signature so it disabled it again.
Looks like this is going to be a pain until the firefox extension gets signed. Hope Mozilla or Bitwarden do it soon. Not sure whose responsibility it is.

I believe I’m having the same problem as reported here. I came across this thread, so I reported my experience there, but I thought I’d join this thread as well, since it seems relevant to my issue.

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎3/‎9/‎2021
OS build 19045.3324
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19041.1000.0

Firefox BW extension version 2023.7.1

Firefox version 117.0 (64 bit)

BW Windows version
Version 2023.8.2
Shell 24.1.1
Renderer 112.0.5615.50
Node 18.14.0
Architecture x64

If I’m interpreting this thread correctly, the problem is that the Windows version does not match the Firefox extension version and there’s nothing we can do to fix that except temporarily fall back to the previous version of BW for windows, That version was glitchy with biometrics for me too, as reported in the other thread (see above). The version before 2023.7.1 worked perfectly with biometrics.

Same issue. Downgrading the desktop app to 2023.7.1 fixed the problem (for now)

Tried that.
After installation, an update started immediately :upside_down_face:

You can avoid the app update choosing to postpone.

Am I the only one who is a bit disappointed about this delay from Mozilla to publish an update of a so common extension like Bitwarden?

The desktop app updated in an instant.
The extension I set back to the previous version, however was not able to log in either. I again got the “incorrect password” message.
Meanwhile in Edge Btiwarden works fine.

Yeah, you’re right. You can postpone the update but it will eventually update by itself when restarting bitwarden app or (maybe) rebooting windows. I think the only workaround is installing the unsigned browser extension atm. Hope they fix this soon.

Weird, my Bitwarden desktop app asks me if I want to update.

Hi folks, There has been a delay in getting the updated Firefox extension through the store and the team is working to resolve asap. If it is an emergency to use Firefox, you can side load the extension from GitHub. However, in general this is not a recommended path. If chosen, it is important to revert back to the store version once available to continue to receive security updates.

1 Like

Thank for this reply, go12!
This means in the end it’s definitly not a “me” or “our” problem. :wink: