Autofill after search

Hi @Steven_Hook - I merged the threads since they are very similar (implement search + click/autofill) and your request seemed to vary only by limiting the initial search to matching domains - or at least that is how I understood it.

The diagram above is not from the Bitwarden team, but just a general suggestion from @Rando about the use-cases he’d like us to solve for.

Hope that clears things up.

The reiterate what @tgreer said, I’m not part of the Bitwarden team. But, I am interested in helping make this a more useful product by documenting the user perspective.

I understand your use case is to filter the results that match the URI. The second task flow is for searching, ostensibly for if there isn’t a matching URI but maybe it could also work for your use case. My intuition is that having both a search and a filter functionality would be confusing and that the search functionality would be more generally useful than a filtering functionality (not many people have dozens of logins for a single site). What do you think, would the search solve your problem?

Great.
Thanks for the info. I see.

1 Like

“Auto-fill” and “Auto-fill” and Save buttons have now been added to the View Item screen in the browser extension: see this pull request and the original community forums post. It’s been merged into master so I assume it will appear in the next release (but I’m not a dev so I don’t know when that would be).

This is not the ‘single click’ solution preferred by some posts in this thread. Clicking the search result still takes you to the View Item screen, and the buttons have been added there. (I intentionally did not want to touch the existing UX flow.) However, at least the functionality is there.

1 Like

I checked for updates and but there aren’t any. Extension was last updated on June 30.

Updates should be out in the next ~10 days or so.

3 Likes

@tgreer My extension updated to 1.46.1 this morning and I see this new change (auto fill button on the edit page). :rocket: This is a great step forward for sure, but to be really complete, I hope in the future there will be a “1-click” solution, either:

• Enable search/filtering on the “Tab” page instead of switching to “Vault”

• Put a button on the Vault page for “Auto fill”. I saw someone suggest replacing the “Launch” button with “Auto fill” if space is limited. I support that idea, Launch is less often used and could be moved to the detail view page.

@eliykat while the update does address this issue for some, i have been having the same issue for how to auto-fill searched items and was not aware that this “fix” was even implemented because the new buttons are all the way at the bottom of the record. the problem with that location is i add numerous custom fields to my records. so i do not even see the “auto-fill” buttons.

@tgreer earlier in the thread you asked for some ux informed solutions to this problem. it seems the best ux solution would be to make the search smarter. after the user inputs a search term, they would be moved to the “my vault” page as they are currently, but the returned records would be grouped based on their uri matching rules: those with valid matches to the current url appear at the top, then a small but distinct divider (possibly label each group), and finally all the returned records without valid matches to the url.

with the search results intelligently segmented we can also contextually give them different behaviors that improve the user interaction without limiting or (hopefully) confusing them. the records in the “matched” group have their “launch” buttons replaced with the “view” button as if they were being presented on the “tab” page. their behavior is also changed to be single-click auto-fill, as they have valid matches to the current url. the records in the “unmatched” group keep their “launch” button and continue behaving as they do currently.

this solution should:

• maintain a single search function, keeping interaction simple and straight-forward for users (no complicated search vs filter complexity)
  • provide easy access to auto-fill after search contextually based on matching rules
  • keep access to search and launch records that do not match current url, with only slight increase to scroll distances as the matched records would be shown in the returned results so only the labels for the groups are being added

this does not address the issues that some are having with blank matching rules however.

i agree that there is not room to add more buttons to the right of the list view. for this i would propose a kebab menu button (3 vertical dots https://fontawesome.com/icons/ellipsis-v?style=regular). included in the list of actions would be: launch, view, auto-fill, auto-fill and save, 2fa (if record has it), and possibly edit. there may be others that would also be appropriate to include here. this will give users access to more functionality without crowding the ui. for the interaction when the user clicks on the kebab, i would probably make a drawer that expands out from below the item in the same manner as an accordion menu, pushing the other items down in the process and making sure that all the newly shown actions remain in the view.

these changes would at increase clicks by at most two for any desired action, and in most cases should reduce clicks and required scrolling. provide the auto-fill functionality desired, and improve the experience for logging in when lots of records are valid matches to the current url.

i do not think the suggestion of @gautam_io is good from a ux perspective because the action is hidden from the user and it requires training or accidental discovery for the user to derive any benefit. the concept of using the icon as an action is otherwise sound.

edit: i just realized it was @kspearrin that was trying to figure out a good ui/ux solution to this. sorry.

addendum: i really want the additional functionality of the kebab menu or something to make getting the totp codes easier.

1 Like

I’ve got a website with multiple login accounts.

Here’s my ideal workflow - I open the extension panel, select VAULT, select the account I want to use for that session and click on launch and the extension goes to that url and fills out THE ITEM I CLICKED on.

It fills it with the last used item or nothing at all.

I then have to open the extension again and click on TAB tab and select the correct account again to autofill.

I’ve requested this before with no changes.

It’s just not intuitive. If you go to the vault and click on a specific entry - the user what’s to login with THAT account. Why make him go to the extension again and click on the TAB entry.

Also, the fact that in VAULT, you’ve got to click on the icon and on the TAB, you’ve got to click on the main list-item to fill. Counter intuitive.

Can you tell me the advantage of the current interface over what I’m proposing.

@erjdriver I moved your post here since I believe it to be the same issue. It is on our backlog to provide a solution.

Any further news here? I see the browser extension is getting dusted off now, so it would be a big quality of life improvement to be able to search and auto fill directly from the results. Navigating dozens of Google/Microsoft/Bank logins etc is tedious and silly.

I was sad to find out that even with the bright shiny new 2022.5 release, it still requires 3 clicks to open the Bitwarden extension, search for a login, and autofill it based on the current page URL.

This should be the workflow:

1. Click BW toolbar icon
  2. “Tab” page is shown, filtered to the matches for the current URL
  3. Typing in the search box should NOT switch you to the “My Vault” page - it should simply narrow down the results of the matches on “Tab”
  4. One more click on the desired login to autofill

AND/OR

1. Just add a button to the “My Vault” page for Autofill (currently you have to click into the login, scroll down past the matching URLs and get to the autofill button…)
1 Like

@bw-admin Uhhhh… my screen wasn’t big enough… so this actually keeps scrolling. Do you understand why I am asking for this feature now?

1 Like

Rest assured, your feedback has been passed to the product team :+1:

The suggestion might also work as an toggle option in the settings menu, as not all users would prefer this setup. For example, a general user hitting the extension icon to search and launch unrelated items.

I would be delighted if this was a toggle option, I agree — one size fits all is not a good strategy. Hope this feature comes soon, been waiting years for it and would be a lifesaver.

Account switching and vault filtering are also coming soon, which could help alleviate this issue.

There are some sites where I have many MANY logins for that domain.
google is one example, I have personal accounts, multiple company accounts, accounts for colleagues or clients that I need to access occasionally for maintenance etc.
If I’m logging in on one of these domains I inevitable have to search for the correct login item.
So it would be neat if when I am searching from “Tab” in the browser extension, it just searched in the items that have matching URIs - and then, in those search results, I can auto-fill instead of having to copy the username, then search again to copy the password and then search again to copy the 2FA.

Feature name

• Filter logins

Feature function

• Reduce number of logins if there is a long list of matching entries
  • Clicking on the matching entry allows auto filling
  • End result is faster login for domains with multiple logins/accounts
  • #chrome

Honestly, I never had a use case to search the whole vault, and if I had to, it would be to edit/add some notes, but the chrome extension window is so small that it is hard to get the job done.

The “Search vault” doesn’t work in this case today because it switches us into the vault tab, and the default action is to VIEW the entry, not AUTOFILL.

At this point in time, most of the folks using password managers are the tech savvier ones and likely to have multiple accounts on 1 domain. I control about 30 gmail accounts and since google isn’t Bitwarden friendly when it comes to autofilling, this should permanently “work around” the autofilling problem by requiring 1 click or flitering + 1 click.

“Filter logins” by default in the browser extensions seems like a better and more helpful feature. Thank you.

Any progress on my simple suggestion of having the search box filter the current tab’s matching logins only instead of switching you to the Vault tab and searching the entire vault?? I can’t think of one reason why someone would prefer the current behavior. It leads to so much wasted time searching, scrolling and extra clicks.

1 Like

Thanks @luckman212 this feedback has been passed along to the team.