Autofill after search

This issue should NOT be ignored.
It’s incredibly annoying that you are required to match the website to use the autofill. I have an entry for Nvidia and GeForce, but it doesn’t match Nvidia Developers so I couldn’t autofill until I added a rule for it to match.
1 year and no one even replied to this issue or fixed it?

1 Like

Hi @joaovitorbf! Welcome!

We are still a growing organization and are making sure we look at as many items as we can. I wish we could reply to everyone all the time!

1 Like

Well, thanks for replying.
I’ve never really seen these types of forum-like voting based feedback websites generate any result on issues I’ve posted or commented about other software. Usually the top ones are requests to add new features and the real issues that annoy everyone using the software get just a few votes. You can see that on Microsoft Feedback, DigitalOcean and other similar feedback hubs. Requiring a separate log-in also repels a lot of people from using this format.
At least here someone replies to the posts, but coming to an issue I’m having right now and seeing 6 votes and 1 year without any reply makes me feel like no one cares about it and nothing will ever be done to fix it.

This is still a daily frustration for me. Especially with google accounts, I have over 90 in my Bitwarden, and finding the one I want to use and then not being able to fill it in is a real headache.

Please add this feature to bitwarden, it will save a lots of time when we have multiple account on a webpage (i.e gmail, hotmail, …)

It make me so mad when try to find an username in a tab with ~100 lines everytime.

2 Likes

This is really a big issue for me.

Does anyone find out a solution for this?

2 Likes

Allow user search in Tab panel may be a good idea for this issue.

1 Like

This has been a daily issue for me for so long.

It happens most frequently when I need to autofill a card. Because I track all of my expired cards, when I open my “Tab”, I see a long list of cards. This forces me to search for the one I need. And when I click on it, autofill doesn’t work.

IMO, the easiest fix would be to make clicking the logo/icon autofill, instead of opening the item. Seems like this would have little impact on existing functionality and would not require an additional button.

On a side note, I would also be happy if there was an ‘autofill button’ in place of the existing ‘launch button’ on items. I have never used Bitwarden to launch a site. I always Cmd+T for a new tab and type the URL. Of course I understand there may be other users who do use the launch feature.

3 Likes

I’d love to see Bitwarden change this as well.

Btw, there is a slightly older thread about this same issue here:

2 Likes

Yes, please. I was used to this with 1Password. Would be great. :slight_smile:

I would love to see “Autofill and save” option as well, similar to the Android app. There are many services where I sign up on the app and then want to visit the website, but currently I have to manually add the URI.

1 Like

I can’t believe this feature has gotten so few votes. It’s a huge hassle and would b a relatively straightforward improvement.

1 Like

Oh, my Lord. I always thought this was a bug! An explanation for everyone else confused:

1. Open Bitwarden to find a login that isn’t being shown (but should).
  2. Search for an item.
  3. Click the item.

You expected it to auto-fill, didn’t you? But it didn’t. It instead viewed the item.

“I’m clicking it. Why isn’t it autofilling? Everywhere in the UI, if you click an item, it autofills. Why is it simply viewing the item? Is the URI wrong?”

Bitwarden team, please take a serious look here. The easiest solution: default searching to the menu you’re in.

1. I’m if the “Tab” menu, searches -> click means autofill.
  2. If I’m in the “My Vault” menu, searches = click means view.

This search was initiated in Tab, but I was forced to My Vault:

Please do not switch us to the My Vault menu if we are in the Tab menu.

The most secure solution is perhaps this:

1. We search for an item. Bitwarden stays on the Tab page.
  2. If we click the item, but it does not match the URI, Bitwarden should say, “Would you like to add this new URI to this item?”
  3. Then, if we select Yes, it auto-fills and adds the new URI.

One security hazard by allowing immediate autofill on any page without a URI match: this is how some phishing scams work, there’s a URI mismatch, but it expects users to figure out the autofill on their own -> submit your login credentials to a malicious server.

@tgreer A set of duplicated feature requests:

Autofill after search (this thread) = 21 votes
Single click to fill password field when searching in the browser extension = 13 votes
In-domain search and auto-fill from search (two features, including autofill from search) = 8 votes

There are other threads that describe this issue, but offer alternative solutions as feature requests. Not sure what to do with that.

I went ahead and documented the user task flows I’d like to see that support this functionality as well as all of the other browser extension functionality. Maybe this’ll make it easier for the team to implement?

I’m also open to suggestions from the community if you think any of this could work better.

I went ahead and documented the user task flows I’d like to see that support this functionality as well as all of the other browser extension functionality. Maybe this’ll make it easier for the team to implement?

I’m also open to suggestions from the community if you think any of this could work better.

There are a couple of duplicate threads requesting similar functionality. I went ahead and documented the user task flows I’d like to see that support that which I think would also address your frustration. Take a look and let me know if I missed the mark:

hey folks - not sure why discourse was giving me such a hard time this morning, but I have merged the threads asking for search + click = autofill functionality.

Please make sure your vote for this has been registered, if not - please vote :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks.
The flow described does not address my frustration at all.
It would have been the first flow “As a user I want to log into a website with credentials and URI saved in Bitwarden.”
I don’t know if you read the use case before just closing thread or there was something you misunderstood about it, I thought it was quite clear, and I thought my emails to support about the same problem were also quite clear, but your diagram has not addressed my frustration at all. It completely skips over it.