Option to make browser extension window remain open and pinned (always on top)

This is a really common use case where a website cannot be auto-filled and I have to go search the browser extension manually.
When I find the correct login, I click to copy the username/email, then paste it into the corresponding form field.
By doing this, the bitwarden extension pop up window disappears and my spot in the extension window is lost. When this happens, I have to start the scenario from scratch and search for the correct login again. Once found, I can click on the password icon to copy the password.

This is a very common use case and has been bugging me for years.
This is why I am finally recording this here.

Is there something I am missing? Am i using it wrong? I can’t be the only one with this issue.

Possible solutions:

1. keep the extension window open when a user name is copied.
  2. Auto copy password after having copied the username
  3. at least keep my spot in the app and dont reset back to home page.
1 Like

Have you tried the right-click context menu? As long as the site has a matching login, it will contain the username/password copy options, even if autofill doesn’t work.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 12.48.07 PM

If there is a matching login, there are fewer clicks involved.
Click1: Extension icon
Click 2: Username copy button

Then
Click 3: Extension Icon
Click 4: password copy button

This is not the main painpoint (though both could be resolved with the solutions suggested above).

The main problem is when there is no matching login.

If there’s an entry with the correct login details that doesn’t match, just add the URL.

1 Like

All I am saying is that its a common use case to search and then copy credentials when autofill doesnt work. It would be made easier if the popup window could stay visible. This is about streamlining the existing user interaction.

2 Likes

Lots of existing solutions have been mentioned here already. You can also popout the BW extension window so it floats independently of your main browser window. It won’t disappear then.

I documented some potential task flows for the browser extension that were meant to address a different UI frustration, but I think may also address yours. Take a look and let me know if you think this would help or if it could be improved at all:

I think instead of a popout button there should be a keep open button. When in keep open mode there should be a cancel keep open mode and popout button

1 Like

Some websites require multiple fields to be copied and pasted.

So you would search chrome extension for the item card you want and click “View Item” to display it.
you can copy one field, but as soon as you click the website you want to paste it, the “View Item” card would close. This is annoying as you need to search for the item again and again when you have multiple fields to copy-paste.

Enpass has a little anchor button that would make the card persistent and always on top until you close it or it times out.

vs Enpass

Try this:

3 Likes

This gets you half-way there. Although it opens the extension in its own window, it does not force that window to stay on top. I’d love to see the ‘Anchor’ feature added in the extensions for all browsers.

I will pass on, however, something that was pointed out to me. You can open the Bitwarden extension in the sidebar of the Firefox browser. This is the closest thing to what fwiz has requested.

NOTA: Didn’t know if this would’ve classified as a bug, thus I categorized it as a feature request

Feature function

When the browser window with the Bitwarden extension open loses focus, the extensions closes. This is a pretty annoying behavior, as it forces a user to reopen the extension to copy/paste an entry

Don’t hesitate for more details

Welcome to the forum!

You can create a persistent window using the “popout” button:

In Firefox, you can also set up the Bitwarden browser extension in a side bar.

In addition, you may be interested in voting on the following feature request:

1 Like

A persistent window is cool, but the ideal would be that the extension should only lose focus if I close it (e.g: click again on the extension icon). This is more practical than another window as it’d lose focus and go behind your newly focused window as soon as you click anywhere on your browser

In the meantime, sounds like the Firefox sidebar would work best for you.

Yeah, can be an alternate solution, but I’m not using Firefox as a main browser. Thanks for the tip though.

It would be nice if the bitwarden window would keep the currently selected vault item or search text. When I try to copy multiple strings from a specific vault item I need to do the following each time:

• open the window
  • search for the item
  • copy the next piece of text

Otherwise the app is perfect.

I assume that this is about a browser extension.
If correct, try this and click here before you start:

Hi @kudorgyozo, welcome to Community! :wave:

In addition to the pop out, depending on your browser, you can also use the sidebar functionality (ex. Firefox, Opera) to create a more persistent experience.

Here is a related Feature Request:

For your use-case, you could also consider using the Desktop app for the type of work that requires you to manually copy multiple pieces of information from one vault item.