Given that the credentials cannot be auto filled, I want to be able to copy and paste the username and password without closing the popup window

This is a really common use case where a website cannot be auto-filled and I have to go search the browser extension manually.
When I find the correct login, I click to copy the username/email, then paste it into the corresponding form field.
By doing this, the bitwarden extension pop up window disappears and my spot in the extension window is lost. When this happens, I have to start the scenario from scratch and search for the correct login again. Once found, I can click on the password icon to copy the password.

This is a very common use case and has been bugging me for years.
This is why I am finally recording this here.

Is there something I am missing? Am i using it wrong? I can’t be the only one with this issue.

Possible solutions:

1. keep the extension window open when a user name is copied.
  2. Auto copy password after having copied the username
  3. at least keep my spot in the app and dont reset back to home page.

Have you tried the right-click context menu? As long as the site has a matching login, it will contain the username/password copy options, even if autofill doesn’t work.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 12.48.07 PM

If there is a matching login, there are fewer clicks involved.
Click1: Extension icon
Click 2: Username copy button

Then
Click 3: Extension Icon
Click 4: password copy button

This is not the main painpoint (though both could be resolved with the solutions suggested above).

The main problem is when there is no matching login.

If there’s an entry with the correct login details that doesn’t match, just add the URL.

1 Like

All I am saying is that its a common use case to search and then copy credentials when autofill doesnt work. It would be made easier if the popup window could stay visible. This is about streamlining the existing user interaction.

Lots of existing solutions have been mentioned here already. You can also popout the BW extension window so it floats independently of your main browser window. It won’t disappear then.