Android: add explicit "←" back button to screens

Feature name

• Add explicit “←” back button to screens

Feature function

• Currently, to go back from any sub-screen, users have to just rely on swipe gestures. The only exception is the search view, which does have an explicit “←” back button in the top bar. It would be nice to have this available on all screens (while still keeping the swipe gesture as a shortcut)
  • This will make navigation through the app more logical/discoverable
1 Like

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your request, but why not just use the back button on your Android phone? It is a heck of a lot closer than putting one at the top-left corner of the Bitwarden screen.

sorry, to give more context, this is when your Android is set to “Gesture Navigation” by default (e.g. on more recent Pixel etc devices). by default, there are no visible back/home/etc buttons - users that do want them have to explicitly go to Settings > System > Gestures > System Navigation and switch to 3-button navigation.

However, even in gesture navigation mode, many apps (such as 1Password for Android) still provide explicit arrow back buttons in their top bar, exactly because Google’s decision to default to gesture navigation is confusing most users.

2 Likes

You still have the option of using a back button instead of gestures on Pixel. It’s against Android design guidelines to include a back button in the app. I think some app developers do it just to keep their UI similar to iOS, but it’s not good practice.

I’m on Pixel 4a with Android 13 and as far as I can tell there is no back button anywhere. I have to swipe to go back to the previous screen which is not great. Please consider adding this ← button to screens.

1 Like

As I mentioned above, that is normal behaviour on Android. Most of your apps will work that way.

Not all adroid phones have a back button, mine does not. So I agree with patrickhlauke. In fact I got into the options area and I can’t even get swipe gestures to do anything so without a back button in the UI I got stuck there. I had to force stop the app so that next time it opened I’d get the normal start screen.

1 Like