Weird search behavior

I found that searching this weird things. I showed it to my friend, and he concurred it’s weird.

I have a site, “Telegraaf”. When I click the search and write “Tel” we expect all with Tel should be on top of the list, at least with a T.

BUT, that’s not the case.

I get words beginning with an S than a G and no Telegraaf. It shows only when I write Teleg

I gave this post its own thread, because it was not related to the thread in which you had posted.

Were you just musing about something that seemed weird to you (and to your friend), or did you want assistance with searching, or an explanation of behavior you have observed?

If you are requesting assistance, please provide additional information. For example, what Bitwarden app are you using? Is the vault item for your “Telegraaf” site named “Telegraaf”, or does the word “telegraaf” only appear in the URI or in the Notes? Can you provide some information about the vault items that are displayed at the top of the search results when you have typed Tel?

what Bitwarden app are you using? Web and mobile

Is the vault item for your “Telegraaf” site named “Telegraaf”, or does the word “telegraaf” only appear in the URI or in the Notes?

Name in BW: Telegraaf
Main https://www.telegraaf.nl/
login accounts.tnet.nl

Can you provide some information about the vault items that are displayed at the top of the search results when you have typed Tel ?

The other items are shown because in this scenario, Bitwarden’s search interface is automatically adding wildcards to the beginning and end of your search terms, so you are actually searching for *tel*. All of the results shown include the substring tel in their names (e.g., “Vanamsteldiamant”). If you open any of those items, you should also find that the “tel” string appears in more than one location (which is why the items are higher in the search results than the “Telegraaf” item).

If you want a quick fix for the Telegraaf item in particular, you can place the following string in its Notes section:

Te Tel Tele Teleg Telegr Telegra Telegraa Telegraaf

For a more general approach (without needing to modify the item information), in the Web Vault app and browser extension, you can try one of the following search strings:

tel*

>tel*

>name:tel*

(the first of these, tel*, may also work in the mobile app; I am unable to test this myself, as I don’t use the Bitwraden mobile app).

1 Like