Search within current URI

For someone that has many logins for a single URI (e.g. 100s of client Instagram accounts), it’s a huge pain to scroll through the list in the Chrome extension, which doesn’t have an option to sort by username or item name, only last used.

Then when using the search function, the query runs against every item available to the user.

The default in this context should definitely be to search against the current URI, with the option to search an entire Vault/Organisation.

You can combine multiple search terms to narrow things down, though.

Not sure what you mean – are you suggesting to add more words to the search? Because that just adds more results for me, not less

If you add a second word to the search, the items that contain both search terms should rise to the top of the search results (similar to a Google search). For example, if you type the following, then the instagram account for the client named “Clientname” should be at the top of the search results:

insta clientname

You can also use advanced search options, such as making the presence of one ore more search terms mandatory (in the examples below, the > character prefix is required at the start of the search string):

>+*insta* +clientname

or even some variation of the following (if you are still getting false positives):

>+login.uris:*insta* +login.username:clientname

If you provide more information about your scenario, I can help put together a search strategy that should work.

Thanks @grb, appreciate the response.

If you add a second word to the search, the items that contain both search terms should rise to the top of the search results (similar to a Google search). For example, if you type the following, then the instagram account for the client named “Clientname” should be at the top of the search results:

It definitely doesn’t work that for me. I’ve just tried a few different combinations of “instagram {exact-username}” and none of the combined searches brought the result to the top – some even pushed the result further down.

The situation is that there is no consistency in item naming, but the username and URI is obviously always going to be relevant – although sometimes a username will have @ at the front of it, and sometimes the URI will have a different slug.

From a usability point of view, I can’t teach an organisation to use advanced search options – it really needs to be simple to find the intended items, and that currently isn’t the case, and so this is a feature request to take a step towards better search functionality.

OK, thank you for clarifying your request. You may also wish to vote for the following Feature Request, which would provide a more general solution to the problem you’ve described:

1 Like

Thank you @grb, I’ve voted for this request as well

Issue : I have hundreds of accounts in Bitwarden, a good part of them are related to the same @gmail account.
(you may have one password per account, you don’t have one email adress per account)

So, when I just want to login my @gmail account, I have to scroll down through all these account related to the same email adress and I never find my credentials at first sight… Scroll down, scroll up, actually reading credentials, then I find it.

The reason : the search bar only search for login/username. It never search any other element (name, note, or folder).
Then it sorts the results by alphabetical order of the entries name, and there’s no way to sort them otherwise.

Feature function

• Allow better search (comprehensive search) related to the context : if I click a “Connect with Google button” Bitwarden should show me Google accounts first.
    It should be the same if I’m looking for a note, a username, an entry’s name

Ease of use, less frustration, avoid disruptive manipulation and keep focusing on our actual task