Unusual Behavior With My Android App(s)

If I didn’t know better, I would think that my android phone has been sabotaged.

After importing my vauIt from Password Manager after its free trial period had ended (and which btw worked fine) to Bitwarden, I noticed that Bitwarden wouldn’t fill any passwords on my new apps. However, I took a lot of time and tried to research what I needed to do to get Bitwarden to work correctly.

Well, I followed all the instructions, but I still couldn’t get it to work, therefore, I got fed up and installed Myki password manager, but it didn’t present me with an option to create a master password or fingerprint verification, but only some sort of pin.

But after that, I decided to install Password Manager again, but this time, when I open the Settings and tried to click on Import Vault under Tools, the only thing that happens is that I’m sent to a Bitwarden page, with instructions on how to Export and Import.

Well, I follow those instructions, but I go back to Tools on my phone app like it said, and then click on the Import link again, but then it takes me back to the instructions page again and so on and so forth.

And BTW, I did contact BitWarden to make sure that I thoroughly deleted the information in my Vault before I uninstalled Bitwarden, therefore, I did get that taken care of. Plus, I wanted to mention that my Vault is still encrypted in my Files on my phone (therefore, I still had something to import to another password manager) because I didn’t know how to delete those encrypted files. And which I guess is a bit of a blessing in disguise.

Therefore, I am now stuck without a password manager with nothing to manage my passwords other than the notes that I have written down. But can anyone help me with this situation?

I’m still waiting for the Forum to determine that I am not some sort of evil hacker who wants to bring doom and chaos to this Forum. Meanwhile, I am experiencing password manager H.E.Double-Hockey-Sticks. :frowning_face:

Hi @Jovan - I read your posts above, and I honestly don’t understand what you are asking. Perhaps you could restate exactly how someone here can help? I am certain that if people here understood how to help, they will try.

So this unusual behavior is not sabotage, but a bug that they’ve been having trouble with. No evildoers here, at least on this. Always be wary of The Adversary lol

Now, even without autofill, I think Bitwarden shines above the rest, even enough to pay for. I don’t want to generalize, but what the others call features, I call gate-sized security holes.

@dh024 I assume he’s having trouble with email verification or however this forum decides to give you the “basic” user stuff.

Okay, I’ll try again. I previously uninstalled Bitwarden because it wouldn’t fill any app passwords on my android phone. However, I did contact BitWarden by email to make sure that I thoroughly deleted the information in my phone Vault before I uninstalled Bitwarden, therefore, I did get that taken care of. Plus, I wanted to mention that my exported Vault is still encrypted in my Files on my phone. (More on that later.)

Also, I installed Myki password manager, but it didn’t present me with an option to create a master password or fingerprint verification, but only some sort of pin. Therefore, I got rid of Myki and decided to install Bitwarden again. (I originally made a typo and said Password Manager instead of Bitwarden. My bad.) However, this time, when I opened “Settings” and and went to “Tools” and then “Import Items,” the only thing that happened is that I am sent to a Bitwarden instructions page on how to Export and Import.

Well, I follow those instructions on how to Import and I go back to “Settings” and “Tools” on my phone app again, and then click on the “Import Items” link again. But once again, it takes me back to the Bitwarden instructions page again, which instructs me that I need to go to “Settings” then “Tools” then and then “Import Items” and I once again click on “Settings” and “Tools” and “Import Items” and I am once again taken back to the Bitwarden instructions page and I end up in a repeating loop.

Therefore, I am now stuck with Bitwarden on my phone with no way of Importing my Vault back into my Bitwarden app. Or in other words, I have a password manager (i.e. Bitwarden) that I can’t Import my Vault passwords to unless I perhaps start over from scratch and manually enter each and every password into my Bitwarden app, which I have no desire to do. But I hope this post was better than my first one, therefore, can anyone help me with this situation?

So are you saying that Bitwarden has a bug problem with Importing Vault passwords into the app? And if so, I don’t view that as shining above the rest, but as a major fail.

Hi @Jovan - I was really hoping you could ask specific questions, rather than just ask “can you help me” because it is clear something got messed up in your phone, but we don’t have the details to understand exactly what or why.

So, I will try to help with some generic advice, and hopefully it is useful to you! :smiley:

First, the Import Data help page you were directed to says one very important piece of information:

Importing data to Bitwarden can only be done from the Web Vault or CLI.

Is that what you did, or did you try to import your vault on the phone? I am guessing the latter from what you have said.

No, there is no bug with importing data. But you do have to understand the process and follow the instructions on the help page I posted above. We will do our best to help you through this! :+1:

Yes, the vault on my phone. Also, here is the Bitwarden page that I am taken to from my Settings/Tools page. Also, I’m not sure if I understand what is being said about the Web Vault or CLI.

And BTW, I don’t see “Tools from the top navigation bar” or even a top navigation bar on my phone. But instead, I have to click on the Settings icon on the bottom right of my phone app page and then scroll down to “Tools” to get to what is called “Import Items” and which takes me to the page in the screen shot above.

If you click on the link to Web Vault on that page, it takes you here:

https://vault.Bitwarden.com

Login there and you can follow the instructions to import your backup.

Let us know how you make out.

Ugh! :persevere: My Master Password wouldn’t work, so I once again, cancelled/deleted that account and opened a new account with a different email address. And I clicked on that link, but the only way that I can import my Vault from my phone is to go through the web. However, I don’t see how I can get my encrypted vault stored in my files on my phone onto the web or onto my PC.

However, I read something about an OTG adapter that could transfer my phone content to a portable (external) drive, but unfortunately, I don’t have an OTG adapter:

Part 4. How to Transfer Files from Android to External Hard Drive without Computer Using an OTG Adapter

And from there, I suppose I could transfer the files on my portable drive to my PC and then onto the web. However, in my opinion, what seems to be the missing link is not being able to import one’s vault on one’s phone into Bitwarden’s phone app. Therefore, I don’t understand why I have to transfer my vault from my phone into the web rather than just being able to transfer my vault from my phone into my Bitwarden phone app. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

So does no one know the answer to my above post, or did I fail to correctly convey what I needed?

If you are asking why you can’t import the backup on your phone app, that is not an option. You must use the web vault to import, as stated in the link I provided above. But you can open the web vault on your phone’s browser and complete the import. I would encourage you to look at the documentation I provided above. Cheers!

I was successful with importing my vault via my phone’s web browser and I would like to thank you very much for mentioning that, because my poor, stressed out brain would have never thought of that. lol

Also, I would say that this issue has been resolved, however, I’m going to see how Bitwarden autofills my phone app passwords since that seemed to have been one of the previous problems that I had with it.

Glad to hear you got your vault imported back into Bitwarden, @Jovan. I hope everything works smoothly for you from now on!