Rename `share` to `transfer` and create share mechanism

Feature name

• Rename share to transfer and create share mechanism

Rename share to transfer

Why?

The currently implementation is not a share. It is a transfer. The ownership of the item changes. There is some decent confusion on this.

Create share mechanism

• you are the owner and stay the owner
  • you can revoke/unshare the share - related request, kind of
  • you can share with one person - related request
  • you can share with multiple people
  • you can share with a collection
  • you can share an entire folder/subfolder - related request
  • you can decide whether receiver of share can view password or not

I am aware that ā€œpull requests are welcomeā€ and will start looking at this myself. OSS FTW.

This would be the greatest fix I would say because it prevents many users from losing passwords just by deleting the organization or purging organization vault. Happened to me 2 times. It is a much needed function. Or both share and transfer should be present and users can select what they want.

2 Likes

Yes, this is definitely a must have feature. The current naming is very confusing. And the lack of ā€œclassicā€ sharing mechanism is the main thing I miss since I switched from lastpass to bitwarden.

1 Like

Since the Lastpass massive migration, this is the main feature missed from Lastpass.

4 Likes

It bugs me that the only way to ā€œshareā€ moves your passwords out of your vault to an organization (even if it is my own organization that I control). Sometimes it would be really nice to share a password with someone while still maintaining full ownership/control of the credentials.

3 Likes

This is more or less in line with Add unshare option and what other users discussed in that thread. You should consider adding your vote there as well.

1 Like

ā€˜Shareā€™ has been renamed to ā€˜Move to Organizationā€™

Iā€™d like to add the option to share the entire vault. The use case is my parents wanting me to have access to all their passwords so I can fix their issues. As of now, I just have the password to their accounts, but it would be more convenient to just use mine, especially on mobile with the app and biometric authentication.

1 Like

Yes. Weā€™re evaluating a migration from LP enterprise to BW enterprise. But really - the missing ability to simply SHARE a password between two users inside an organisation will be a showstopper.

Sometimes you just want to give an initial password to somebody or want to share some notes between users.

so what would be required:

• a permission that everybody can see users to share with (when assigned to organization)
  • a permission to do a simple share between users.

I fear, if this feature will not come nobody of our employees will accept bitwarden instead of lastpass.