Move items to different organization

Is there a way to move items in one organization to another organization both of which my account has access?

Not directly, no. Once an item is in the organization, it is owned by the organization.

But what you can do is clone the item to your personal vault and then move it to the second organization. Once you have successfully completed this, you can delete the original if you like. Cheers!

OK - that’s unfortunate.
Is there a way to move items between collections in the same organization?
To be clear - is there a bulk method of moving items to another collection?
Is there a bulk cloning method?

I can’t believe there aren’t any other data management methods than one.at.a.time?!?! Please tell me I’m missing something?

Some bulk operations are available if you use the web interface (e.g., for Bitwarden-hosted organizations, you would use the website https://vault.bitwarden.com to perform bulk operations).

I believe some of the Bitwarden folks have mentioned that they are working on some improvements to bulk operations, but I am not sure where they are at or what those improvements will be.

In the meantime, if you would like to see more capabilities added, feel free to add your votes to support some of the more commonly requested features so that they “rise up” in the priority queue for consideration by the devs:

Cheers!

soapbox
So basically - there’s no easy way to do this other than cast “votes” - I really do like BW for all it does, but making it near impossible to easily manage data once it’s in BW seems like a HUGE oversight for whoever makes those decisions.

Just as LP made a huge misstep with their user base which led to a mass exodus - wouldn’t be much for one of the other established firms (or another new startup) to offer a significant discount for current paid BW members to siphon them away.

Does the Enterprise version also have these limitations? If so, then that’s one way to ensure not having wide-spread adoption.
/soapbox

That said - thanks for replying - even if it’s to confirm there is no good answer at the moment.

The user interface for managing items within organizations is the same regardless of whether you are an enterprise subscriber or not, to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps @bw-admin can correct me if I am wrong.

Please remember that Bitwarden is the newest password manager on the enterprise scene and many features are still being implemented, including what you are seeking. Also, they aren’t the size of the big players like 1Password (a $6.8 B company with 100s of employees), so development priorities seem to be very focused at the moment.

Thankfully, the BW folks seem to be churning out improvements all the time regardless, so I have no doubt that this will get addressed sometime in the near future. In the meantime, yes, you will have to use some manual labour. Sorry!

1 Like

That’s correct @dh024, the experience of moving organization items will be the same regardless of organization type.

@BWUser00 along with our internal feedback, we use community votes to help gauge and address a balance of individual/family, teams/enterprise and MSP features. We take all feedback into consideration and have implemented many community suggestions over the years. Bitwarden is also an open source project and community members are welcome to propose code/features here.

1 Like

There is a much simpler workaround for batch moving passwords from one organization to another. Just export all passwords from the source organization to a CSV file (I suggest saving to a USB stick so you can easily wipe it later). Open/edit in a local spreadsheet app or even a text editor and delete the lines you don’t want to move. Then import the edited CSV into the destination organization. After confirming successful import, delete the passwords you duplicated from the source organization. It can be helpful to organize the passwords you want to move into their own collection in the source organization before moving them so it’s easy to isolate them in the CSV file and to delete them from the source organization after the move. This will be MUCH easier than the one-by-one cloning method suggested above (and far less prone to human error), but you need to be careful with security any time you are making a local copy of a password vault.

Seems that there is a way, check the items you want to move (be careful only to click the checkbox, if you click on the item, it will open and all the checkboxes will be cleared…). After selecting the items you want to move click on the … at the very top :

and chose “move to different organization”…

Ahh - yes - from the web vault - doesn’t appear to be an option from the desktop app. That’s certainly better than nothing!

But if I’m not mistaken, this option only let’s you move personal items to an organisation, not items that are already owned by another organisation.

If you select more than one item, you get the following information:

Move selected to organisation
Choose an organisation that you wish to move these items to. Moving to an organisation transfers ownership of the items to that organisation. You will no longer be the direct owner of these items once they have been moved.
You have selected 3 item(s). 1 item(s) can be moved to an organisation, 2 cannot.