Lost my new master password

After I got SIM swapped and got that fixed, I went in to change my passwords, including my master to BitWarden. Made a huge boo-boo I thought I had it saved in StandardNotes, but it wasn’t. All of my bitwarden extensions and app on IOS devices are logged out. I DO use Duo for push 2FA. Is there any hope to recover with Duo?

Desktop - Ubuntu, extensions installed on several browsers.

Thanks!!!

@dallascat Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, if every instance of Bitwarden is already logged out, and you do not have a your master password (and you have not set up the Emergency Access feature), then there is no way to get back into your account.

Are you sure that you do not have any old or infrequently used devices that may have been logged in to Bitwarden when they were last turned off? Or a browser extension on a browser that you have not used since changing your master password? If so, there is a chance that you may be able to recover some or all of your vault data, if you can prevent that device from connecting to the internet (e.g., by switching off your WiFi router) before turning on the device — I would also recommend placing the device in Airplane mode as soon as it is powered up, before launching the Bitwarden app or browser. If you are able to find such a “dormant” Bitwarden app (and if you can unlock the vault while off-line, using a PIN, biometrics, or your old master password), then you may be able to export or at least manually copy the information that was stored in your vault. Then you can use this to populate a new Bitwarden account.

Unfortunately no. I was hoping have my 2FA Duo could help, but looks like I’m out of luck. I did retrieve the cached bitwarden logs, but still have no way to restore them

Is there anyways restoring Ubuntu with Timeshift could work?

OK, possibly, I forgot to ask you if you had system backups.

If your local Bitwarden data directories were included in your backups and you can restore them from a timepoint when your vault was logged in, then you may be able to access your old data.

You would use essentially the same procedure as described above:

1. Exit the Bitwarden app.
  2. Delete the data directory.
  3. Restore the data directory from your backup.
  4. Block internet access for your device.
  5. Launch the Bitwarden app.
  6. Unlock the app (using biometrics, PIN, or old master password).

If you know your old master password and your backup is from before you changed you master password, then you can create a JSON export that can be used to populate your new Bitwarden account.

Is this a reference to the .log files saved by the Chrome browser extension in ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Local Extension Settings/nngceckbapebfimnlniiiahkandclblb, which contain the encrypted vault data?

You should be able to restore these as I described above, although it would be better if you restore all contents of the nngceckbapebfimnlniiiahkandclblb subdirectory, not just the logs.

There are four folders in the Local Extension Settings but none that have the exact match of nngceckbapebfimnlniiiahkandclblb. I also did this after all Bitwarden exentions and desktop program was logged out.

I use SpiderOak for backups, so I am going to go see if these are backed up and then I can reset via Timeshift to yesterday or whatever, I don’t know if that saves those or not.

So my question is, do I have to see the nngceckbapebfimnlniiiahkandclblb folder for any hope on these backups?

That particular folder (nngceckbapebfimnlniiiahkandclblb) is for the Chrome extension on Linux. If you have multiple browser profiles, then the path won’t be exactly as shown (i.e., you may have to drill down into the subdirectory for each profile to find the folder).

However, as documented on the Help page I had linked above, the local vault cache for the Desktop app can be found in a completely different folder — one of the following, depending on your installation:

• Standard installations: ~/.config/Bitwarden
  • Snap: ~/snap/bitwarden/current/.config/Bitwarden

If you have a Firefox browser extension, then the location of the local data folder is something like:
~/.mozilla/firefox/your_profile/storage/default/moz-extension+++[UUID]^userContextID=[integer]
(where you need to read the documentation for an explanation of the “UUID”).

Note: Whenever you log out of a Bitwarden app, the corresponding local vault cache is deleted, so you will only find something useful in the above locations if you made a backup at a point in time when at least one of your Bitwarden apps was logged in.

Thanks! My spideroak backups don’t have these folders/directories…mainly used for docs/files, so I didn’t think that would be an option. My only hope is now is Timeshift, I’ll restore my Ubuntu to a day or so ago and see. I guess my question is, should I turn off all internet before I do this, so BW can’t access the internet and log me out regardless of what Timeshift does?

Yes, block internet access before launching the Bitwarden client, and then unlock the vault while the device is off-line.

So no go, but is there any way to recover my account with my Bitwarden fingerprint phrase, which I do have!

Sorry to hear it. Unfortunately, the suggestions I have given above are the only options available, to my knowledge.