Keyboard shortcuts to autofill Identity or Card information

I’ll second this idea. It would be a great feature. I’m surprised there have been no replies.

1 Like

Thank you, @Kenmoffat . If you have any votes left to give, perhaps you may consider officially voting for this feature request (using the vote button in the upper left corner). :grinning:

1 Like

I saw other topics for similar requests, but either the title isn’t descriptive, or they suggest additional features that may be harder to implement.

Please consider treating this as the definitive request topic for a faster method to input stored identity and card information.

Request:
A keyboard shortcut should be added to the browser extension, enabling users to fill out identity and credit card information.

Other thoughts:
This function already exists within the Bitwarden menu, as does keyboard-shortcut functionality. Therefore this is almost certainly the most easily implementable form of this class of requests. Economics being what they are, maybe most likely to actually be implemented too.

I suspect this feature is copy-paste implementable, apart from the question of “how is it known which card or identity should be used?” While using the shortcut to step through a list of available identities/cards would be ideal, just being able to mark one as “primary” for the purposes would be a vast improvement. So I officially request either, or some other. It doesn’t really matter.

Others have suggested a form overlay solution, in which a button is added on top of the current page’s forms to allow identity/card input with a click. While that might be an improvement, this is likely a lot harder to implement and still has all the costs associated with determining which identity/card to choose. Creating the overlay is one thing, then drawing a new menu if necessary is another. This also has a non-negligible performance impact. So now you need a new options menu item to disable the overlay for those that don’t want it. If you’re a fan of this solution, I’m arguing that you could just as well learn a new keyboard shortcut, until an overlay can be implemented at a later time. You get to configure the chosen shortcut combo too. That one comes free, as there are already menus to configure existing keyboard shortcuts. The browser provides this functionality.

1 Like

I think that your request is pretty much identical to the following one, which already has 3 votes:

The mods should probably merge these two requests. I agree that the proposals for overlay solutions have been requesting something different, and perhaps shouldn’t be merged; nonetheless, those overlay-related requests do indicate that there is an unmet need with regards to autofilling of credit card (and identity) information.

Yes, please, we desperately need this feature to be added!

1 Like

The implementation of keyboard shortcuts for autofilling of credit cards and identities are now needed more urgently, since the newest UI redesign pushes many card and identity items off the screen in the Tab view, requiring extra mouse manipulations to scroll the view before one can select an item to autofill.

I have also identified the following Feature Request threads, which are asking for essentially the same functionality:

Add shortcut for identity / card form auto fill (information address payment credit contact automatic keyboard)

Autofill [and shortcut] of Identity or Cards

Keyboard shortcuts for fill in default CARD / IDENTITY

May we have two new keyboard shortcuts?

These should be merged.

1 Like

Hotkey would be nice, also could be useful to have the credit cards in the Right Mouse hierarchy.

1 Like

I have replaced Lastpass by Bitwarden recently and this is the feature I miss the most. Being able to fill forms with one shortcut is really useful. Please implement this, it should be really easy to add some keyboard shortcut to a function that exists already. Maybe I can do it the extension is open source.
Is there any github for the bitwarden addon?
Do they accept pull requests?

Yes and yes! See below to get started:

It took me a while to find the Form Fill feature in the (Brave) web browser plugin because I mainly use the contextual menu and not the plugin “menu” on the top right of the browser window. Can the form fill be added to the contextual menu — or is there some setting to make it appear there (because it doesn’t on my Mac). Thanks.

Hi @larryleveen, welcome to Community! :wave:

I’m not sure if this is exactly what you’re referring to, but you can also auto-fill using Cmd + Shift + L! Here’s some more information on auto-fill options.

I hope this helps, but if this isn’t what you’re looking for, can you please share an example? Thanks!

I am so sorry. I should have specified that I want to be able to access Identities from the contextual menu. Filling in Identity info to register for things like webinars is a task I have to do a lot and having it available with a right-click would be super handy. My understanding is that this is not possible at this time.

Since auto-filling of Identities and Cards from the right-click context menu was released in version 2023.10.0, but keyboard shortcuts are still not available, I have revised the title of this Feature Request thread accordingly, to read “Keyboard shortcuts to autofill Identity or Card information” (was “Autofill [and shortcut] of Identity or Cards”).

Hi all!

Please update this request for Keyboard shortcuts to autofill Identity & Card information, additionally add autofill Identity & Card information on page load.

How can I help?

@vtnt9 Welcome to the forum!

Cards and Identities can already be autofilled, either by clicking the item in the browser extension’s Tab view, or by using the right-click context menu. What remains to be implemented is a keyboard shortcut.

Enabling automatic autofill (on page load) for such items is a significantly different functionality (and one that may be controversial). I would suggest that you start a separate Feature Request thread if you wish to garner support for that proposal.

Hi!
Thank you for your reply.
Let’s do it step by step.
How can I help regarding shortcuts implementation for identity and card autofill?

@vtnt9 If you wish to contribute to the Bitwarden code base, please refer to the following links:

When you are ready, you can post a Pull Request proposal here:

Hello! is there any shortcut as of today to insert identity or insert credit card?

For example for identity cmd+shift+i (for identity) and cmd+shift+c (for credit card).

Is there any plan to get that done? as current methods are not so fast

@sanders654 Welcome to the forum!

No such keyboard shortcuts are currently available. That is the reason why this Feature Request thread exists. To support this feature request, scroll to the very top of the thread, and click the Vote button there.

Thank you! i just voted.

I can’t imagine how many hours that shortcut would save me over the years. Cheers