Hotkey to fill in the default Identity

I requested this 2 years ago and sadly as far as I can tell it’s still not available which is why I’m stuck still using lastpass. I fill out alot of forms and am disabled. I use a hotkey on the keyboard to fill in name, address, phone etc from the default identity. I can’t believe I am the only one who wants to be able to fill in more than JUST user/password with a hotkey. There needs to be an intermediate stage between auto-fill and fill nothing.

Hi @famewolf! Thanks for the feedback!

While it’s not a hotkey - you can click on the identity in your vault to fill the identity items. The catch, of course, is that whatever form you’re filling out has to have properly coded/tagged input fields.

Yeah and that would be less of a pain if they didn’t have it at the very BOTTOM of all the options. Logins, 12 cards and finally identities. I have to scroll down to get to identities. I don’t even have the option to rearrange the order as personally cards would be at the bottom as I use identities much more than payment options. Why is it not on bitwarden’s right click menu under “auto fill?” Lastpass has an “other” option that shows both identities AND credit cards.

Last time I mentioned this the basic response was along the lines of “if you want a form filler, install one.” and so I continue to use a closed source product because I want the same functionality everywhere no matter what browser I’m using.

Thought about this post when I saw this video - you can add these fields to identities, logins, etc.

Custom Fields in Bitwarden:

2 Likes

I appreciate you sharing this. It was very interesting information and while i would find it useful especially for odd login criteria it doesn’t solve my need for a generic list of fields which could be filled on ANY website that includes Name, Address, Phone Number, email, userid etc. Also when filling out sweepstakes for example it’s much more disruptive to have to take my right hand off the keyboard, go to the trackball (I have carpal tunnel so thumball instead of mouse) go up and click on bitwarden and then the page. It disrupts the “workflow” where hitting alt q with left hand (personal choice) is easier on me then I fill out any non repetitive info. Bitwarden also includes Bank and credit card info but doesn’t fill them by default and you have to select those with right click and a choice but the majority of time the basic fields would work…it gets more complicated when they break out name to First Name, Last Name, Title…the various layouts for phone number etc. I DO appreciate you passing this along!

An auto-fill hotkey for a specified default identity (for addresses). Sorely needed… We’re aware it’s in the drop-down menu, but that’s not a hotkey.

1 Like

The lack of a hotkey locks many users into lastpass that would be happy to fully switch to bitwarden. I can’t see this being a large amount of code so don’t understand the reluctance. The identity already exists. Just map a key to it (preferably user configured).

I would really like a context menu option for filling in identities and credit cards. I’m considering switching back to lastpass for it.

Is there really no hotkey to fill in default identity? WHY??? There really should be more hotkey options.

Does anyone know if bitwarden supports any sort of like API plugins or anything? Maybe it’s easier to ask the community to develop it because we all want it and BW is not going to give it. Just a thought, the internet is full of smart helpful individuals if you look in the right places.

They don’t seem to be in a rush do they, even with all the recent lastpass migration. That’s why I’ve been looking at Zoho Vault and others. As an added bonus Zoho Vault handles OTP for free which bitwarden charges for.

In the meantime, if someone has found a good extension that handles the “fill a form with a hotkey” need for firefox or chrome based browsers please let us know!

I’m a big proponent of open source software and this is the first time I’ve had where the open source product ignored a request yet a closed source solution did not. It’s not a high priority for them. Obviously none of them have carpal tunnel or the feature would already be implemented.

Finally if you are going to make the user pick it from the menu then give an option to have it as the FIRST choice in the menu…not the last where the user has to scroll down with the mouse to find it.