Failing when auto-filling login for multiple google accounts

I have a job where I have to constantly log on and off between multiple Google accounts.
I have 4 google email accounts registered with Bitwarden.
I use the auto-fill option enabled.
However, Bitwarden is often auto-filling the Google login form with a wrong password, which is refused by Google.

In this case, I am obliged to manually right-click, select the auto-fill option for the selected account.

What can be done to avoid this problem?

Deactivate this. Instead press Ctrl + Shift + L multiple times till you have the correct account, then hit Enter.

I personally would chose a completely different solution:
How about using 4 different browsers with only 1 Google account connected to each browser.
I know that this solution is not really scalable, but for 4 accounts “only” this should be ok.

As a potential workaround for your particular problem, if you use Firefox then there is an extension called “Multi-Account Containers”. (I’m sure Chrome and other browsers will have something similar.) It lets you log into multiple instances of the same website using different credentials and keeps everything separate. That would save you from having to keep logging in and out.

If the manual autofill works by finding the correct passwords, why the automatic autofill doesn’t work?
It’s a bug.

It’s not a bug. How can Bitwarden know which of your four Google passwords to autofill?

2 Likes

Because the email is pre-filled in the form when it asks for the password…

That depends on what “Default Match Detection” means - which is the default used for all new accounts that are saved. From experience that doesn’t tend to work well for multiple accounts at the same base domain. e.g. git.google.com bamboo.google.com. Does anyone know what the default match detection does?

No, the email address is just printed on the screen. It’s not a form element. Google asks for username on one screen, then the password on the next.

That’s not the issue here. Default match detection is whatever you set the default to in settings, e.g. base domain, host, exact, etc. Bitwarden is correctly identifying the site as google.com, but @rogeriodec has four different Google logins. Bitwarden can’t know which one it wants him to autofill.

Maybe the email is not inside the tag, but it’s there on the same password form page.

Ok, it’s not a bug, but the correct autofill for the google login form should be an improvement since google is the greatest service on the net. It would improve a lot the usability.

1 Like

That’s not the issue here. Default match detection is whatever you set the default to in settings, e.g. base domain, host, exact, etc. Bitwarden is correctly identifying the site as google.com, but @rogeriodec has four different Google logins. Bitwarden can’t know which one it wants him to autofill.

Ok I thought “Default” was some combo of all the possible matching methods. e.g. a “smart match” but I see that is set in the options as you say. That’s good to know as once I figure out the best strategy for sub domains I’ll set my default to that.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be easy to search for the usernames of all known accounts matching on the open page? If only one matches, this is being used for auto-fill.

Hey, I want to bump this as well. I signed up for Bitwarden not so long ago and was very surprised to find this issue (well, ok @danmullen , not ‘issue’, but a hell of an inconvenience).

I just asked around out of curiosity among my friend and all of them have at least two gmail accounts (one personal and one more ‘professional’ or official). Can’t believe this can’t be improved, really?

You say that Bitwarden can’t know which account should be autofilled. But @rogeriodec posted a screen where you can see the email address. Don’t know what do you mean by ‘the email address is just printed on the screen. It’s not a form element’? It’s clearly there in the source file inside of a div.

It’s really annoying to have to manually pick the correct password several times a day each time I want to check my email. Hopefully you can reconsider taking a closer look at this.