Duplicate removal tool/report (including merge)

+1 I definitely want this tool
BUMP

1 Like

According to this: $100 Million Raised Bitwarden has enough working funds to hire someone to exclusively work on developing this important feature - PLEASE !!

4 Likes

Thanks all! Bitwarden is working on a lot of initiatives, seen on the current roadmap, and will continue to maintain and develop new features. We will release information as it becomes available, thanks for your continued support and feedback.

I have been using LastPass for many years, and have been generally happy with it.

I just imported my data to BitWarden and ended up with two copies of everything, not quite sure how. I refreshed the browser after import, because no data was showing, and perhaps that caused the double entries.

I was pretty close to doing the subscription in order to use my Yubikeys, but after this first flaky experience I am again hesitant to migrate away from LastPass.

The LastPass export function is known to create many duplicates in the exported data file. You should manually deduplicate it before importing into Bitwarden.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the quick response!

I checked the LastPass data and it did include duplicates.
Everything is now working as it should be. :smiley:

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Questions from a new Bitwarden user

+1 really good function.
Maybe not complete merging more like grouping together to have less shown accounts

Hi, there is a more elegant feature to solve your problem: domain rules

It’s likely that the mobile version and desktop version of your website use different domains. Simply find the domain, and add them as duplicate of each other. Then any future entry of this website will be shared between all equivalent domains. In other words, this prevents any duplicate to ever appear in future!

1 Like

Merge passwords between sites that use the same credentials

I recently started using BW, and it has been a great app to manage so many credentials.
When I started using it, I imported all my passwords from Google Chrome.
I’ve noticed that many credentials were saved (and now imported to BW) several times. That happened because there was some difference between URLs.
That happens a lot with my passwords from my company.
Currently, whenever I need to access one credential that I know it is duplicated, I manually edit the data and create a new URL match for each address that uses the same credentials.
However, that’s a pretty long process.

So, it would be nice if I could select some credential that I have saved in my vault for some sites and
merged them.

That would result in less credentials stored and less risk of forgetting one of them out of date.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Importing from LastPass - Duplicates

If websites use the same credential, you should mark their domain as equivalent via the domain rules to prevent duplicate. See my post above for the link.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Importing from LastPass - Duplicates

I would like to find out how to clean duplicates also.

The most simple way I would think, if the site is the same (google.com for example) and the username and password are the same,
do a merge,
if passwords are the same, but lets say username is missing from one
Ask to merged

just barebones… i can clean out the rest.

Hey @MaxHeadroom currently if you have a paid plan you can run the reused passwords report to flag reused passwords. You can also export your vault to a CSV, edit and reimport (purge vault + delete collections first but be sure to have backups), just keep in mind that some information will not be included, such as file attachments, items in the trash, password history, or Sends. If using the CLI, you can also run additional scripts to isolate this information.

1 Like

A small correction: LastPass does offer a “Remove Duplicates” feature

But literally everything else LastPass offers is crap compared to any other password manager

1 Like

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently? = Allow users to select 2 (eg. using checkbox’s) 2 items and merge them by amalgamating the URLs into a single entry rather than having to do it manually.
  • What benefits will this feature bring? = I believe this provides a great (easy) user experience for merging items where the credentials are the same but you’ve ended up with multiple bitwarden items because the URLs are different. If the credentials are slightly different then the user could be prompted to choose which credential item (username or password) they wish to persist in the merged entry.

Why does this have 490 votes, is years old, and doesnt get listed at the top when I sort by votes? And yet still is not implemented? Bitwarden isnt a creative work, its a utility item. We need a utility feature. Get this implemented. I dont want to look for another manager, because it was hard enough to get my wife to start using this, but I am close to start looking. Only reason I am not is because I am still looking for a budget program that will replace YNAB and that she and I can both use. If this isnt done after I found new budget software…

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, there are a lot of items on the go, including work to support Manfest V3, rest assured your feedback has been passed along to the team :+1:

2 Likes

Here is a nice short Python script that will get the job done and uses Bitwarden’s CLI to do it!

Regarding adding this as a feature, my recommendation is to add a ‘deduplicate’ command to the CLI.

2 Likes