Duplicate removal tool/report (including merge)

Things as simple as new URL for the visited service may generate a new entry while in fact it’s the same domain. So, duplicate finder would really help.

For now though if anyone is still looking to get rid of their duplicate entries, You can have a look at this Unofficial Python Script. Very simple and worked great for me :wink:
At least check this out.

Hi all,

Has anyone reported this as an issue in the github repos? If not, where should I report it? Server, web, browser…? Once reported to the right repo, I’d like to take a crack at making the feature if that’s allowed @tgreer :slight_smile:

Hi @SnailsToGo - welcome! The repo for this would be the /web - but no need for an ‘issue’ to be reported since it’s new functionality.

The best process is to do a plan of what/how you’d like to approach the solution and post here: https://community.bitwarden.com/c/github-contributions/ - that way we can make sure you have all the details, etc. and can get any feedback before coding anything. It also helps us keep track of what ongoing dev efforts are out there.

Thanks for taking a look at this!

Hi @tgreer thanks for the feedback! Also I like the practice you suggested so I’ll post there before coding!

Posted, see here. I tried to encompass what I thought made sense, and what the users requested in this forum. If anyone has ideas to add to what I wrote in the feature post, please feel free to add!

3 Likes

FWIW, I created a simple deduplicate tool that works at least for my sample of password entries. The repo can be found here https://gitlab.com/sundbp/bitwarden-deduplicate

2 Likes

A much-needed feature, I have so many duplicates, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Please implement this feature. +1

1 Like

Hi please add this feature, or you can add this in premium feature

Not sure how to vote here, so I’ll just lay this out. My use case is quite similar to the original poster case — I’m a recent Bitwarden convert (paid convert, if it makes any difference), have imported all my passwords from everywhere, ended up with almost every password repeated twice at least and find the need to delete dupes manually quite distracting. The simplest case, like exact match comparison, would save me loads of time.

2 Likes

I too have been plagued with duplicated entries during importing my passwords. This feature would greatly help managing that.

3 Likes

Duplicates are annoying, especially when they happen with importing items.
Many times logins come at different domains that can be connected or different subdomains and prefix domains (so both a . mysite .whatever and b . mysite . whatever can share passwords but also mycompanysite . whatever with someservicethatworkswithmycompanylogin . whatever as well. Note: .whatever is like .com but I can’t use more than 2 links).

Another thing is that logins that are leaked, should be marked as such so I can not only find duplicates but leaked duplicates as well

As long as the tool didn’t automatically perform the task. It should simply identify the duplicates(possible duplicates) and let the user decide. There are lots of reasons to have two cards for the same URL for example. If it was a complete 100% dup for all fields, that would be fine.

1 Like

Need this so much… I don’t understand how it could be so low priority.

2 Likes

I been resolve my problem with this, by every time you visit site, then check the tab in bitwardden chrome extension, select which oh duplicate would you prefer to remain and remove, after a month, my vault is normalize and remove all duplicate,

also all remove is in the trash, so no worry if you want to check it back

To solve the problem for myself, i created a tool to show any duplicate logins for a certain domain. Then you can remove and-or merge them yourself for more control.

Bitwarden find duplicates GitHub

1 Like

+1. Please add this feature!

… 2 years in this thread and still getting upvotes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree, seems like it’d be pretty basic to implement.

Same here, even if this were part of a larger feature set (like some have suggested, ie. password strength tests, merge tool, duplicate password identifier), I would be willing to upgrade to premium for it. Supporting good development is a smart move!

4 Likes