Duplicate removal tool/report (including merge)

Any update on this?

1 Like

Just coded a tiny Widows tool which can easily help you sorting out double entries.

Go to: https://github.com/qyqsoft/Bitwarden-Vault-Cleaner

German/English readme available.

3 Likes

Thanks for your efforts. But tell me: Would you (qyqsoft) allow a tool that just got uploaded and that was created by someone who just opened up his user account in here allow to go through your list of passwords?

The whole Visual Studio repository is on github. You can download and check it. Its only a small tool and you will not find any spying stuff. You can compile it by yourself and run your own compiled program.
But of couurse take it or leave it, its up to you.

1 Like

You can’t expect anyone to feel safe using some script from a stranger on software like this. And 99% of the population wouldn’t have a clue what to do with a repository on github or know how to run their own compiled program. Give me a break.
This thread is over 3 years old now. There is something seriously wrong when the software constantly creates all these dupes, much less there being no built in function to eliminate them. How hard could it be to simply remove exact duplicates?

QYQSOFT, I tried your script and it did seem great at first. But then I noticed there were a couple of logins being completely deleted. In other words, there were some duplicates where BOTH got deleted. Tried it multiple times with different settings and it always completely deleted the same ones. I don’t know how many but losing even one made it unusable. Thanks for your efforts though.
What I had to do was load the csv file into Excel and go through 900 entries manually. Saying that I’m not impressed with Bitwarden so far is an understatement.

I didn experience this problem, but I can look thru the code again if there is an issue. I could buil di a feature which shows what actually got deleted. Lets see.

Released version 2 of Bitwarden Vault Cleaner. Now you can see what changes will be made bofore they are done. Just try.
For all sceptics: I still did not install any spying routines. Just check the source code. Its all on Github

1 Like

You’re the one who needs to give a break. qyqsoft is trying to give a solution to a problem that Bitwarden has been dragging their feet in for over 3 years. if you don’t know how to verify 3rd party open source code for a program that is secure because of its base in being open source, don’t use the solution. simple as that. no one is forcing you, or anyone else, to use it.

If it makes you uncomfortable then walk away. I, for one, am happy that there are people like qyqsoft that are willing to contribute their time and effort into filling the gaps that Bitwarden is not filling themselves. I’ll gladly read through it and use if it if it fits my needs. By your logic no one should ever try to contribute anything 3rd party because some people don’t know how to read code and verify that it is secure first.

It’s still useful to those of use that do know how, and we can verify it for those that don’t when we have the time to do so

1 Like

unfortunately as a visualbasic/exe program not gonna work for me @qyqsoft but I still do stick by my original statement that more options are better than less

I do have to wonder, what is the benefit of writing all of this in VB instead of something portable like nodejs, python, ruby, etc?

@qyqsoft going through the code, all of the icons everywhere are the part that concern me most. I can’t validate their safety just by looking at them and they aren’t vital to the program’s functionality; just aesthetics. I would suggest they would be removed from the codebase completely for the use case and user base

Sry, VB.NET is what I know best. I know Perl and with some effort Python, but I wouldn’t be able to write a program like this in half a day.

Why should icons be dangerous?

Is that a serious question? Why shouldn’t they? They are binary data that I can’t view the contents of easily and are one of the main vectors for people to sneak in malware.

You are asking the wrong question. Why do you feel the need to have icons on a small password deduplicator script in a forum full of security focused individuals? We’re not here for it to look pretty, we’re here for security and ease of use. And pictures we can’t verify at first glance are enough for me to immediately say no

Sry, never heard that png or jpg files can contain malware. What about all images on internet sites, are they dangerous?
But I can remove the icons if you think it is a security risk, but seriously, I have never heard of it.

Exporting to CSV, sorting so I can have my way with it and deleting duplicates is easy…except… after purging the vault, SURPRISE - GOTCHA - IDENTITES and CARDS do not get exported and have to be manually re-entered by hand.

How to edit and reimport JSON format so I can get the IDENTITES AND CARDS without it being more fuss than just taking 4 seconds to delete each one. Humm, lets see… I have 1800 duplicate entries, * 4 seconds means I will be here for 2 dreadful hours cleaning my mess.

It’s actually very simple, you can edit csv files in excel and simply delete duplicates.

I worked a bit differently, but exported google passwords as csv, added the entries from bitwarden, selected columns A, C and D and Removed duplicates. Then I imported the file back into google password manager, some didnt have passowords (13) so they didnt import. Finally I exported the google passwords file in order to import in Bitwarden…

Nice idea Jeremy. I the same.

We need it, please!

+1 from me as well. New user who just switched from lastpass. Trying to remove all of the dupes lastpass created, as bitwarden handles base domain vs host vs exact vs etc much better. There are only a few features lacking that would prevent me from purchasing a premium account, like I have with lastpass (until it expires, heh)