Does turning on the fingerprint on a device completely remove the need for the master password on that device?

Once I turn on opening the vault with a fingerprint on a device, am I going to never ever have to use the master password again on that device? (I understand if I use bitwarden on another device, I’ll have to use the master password there.)

I’ve read a lot of the discussions about the fingerprint feature but I never came across a statement that unequivocally answered this specific question one way or the other. I’d like to know before I turn on the fingerprint feature.

Thank you!

On iPhone you will always be asked for Face ID until you cancel or disable.

In my experience, I haven’t been asked for the master password on my Android phone in almost a year since enabling fingerprint access.

What if you forget the master password? I know that is highly unlikely. But still it is possible for a user to completely forget their master password.

Tnank you all for the replies.

@MetBril I’m not familiar with iPhones. Is BW on iPhones using Face ID instead of fingerprints?

@danmullen Your experience is concordant with BW never asking for the master password once a fingerprint has been registered.

@S_A Yes, it is possible for someone to forget their master password. The least they have to exercise their memory of it, the more likely they are going to forget. Someone who registers a fingerprint in BW to open the vault on their phone, and does not ever use the master password again until they use BW elsewhere runs the risk of not remembering the password.

1 Like

I enter my master password into the browser extension multiple times a day, so there’s no danger of me ever forgetting it :smile:

1 Like

Newer devices have facial recognition instead of fingerprint sensor.

But the security of facial recognition varies from device. Apple has the most robust facial recognition, it maps a users face in 3d. Android phones are less secure when compared to Apple. A dutch study
found that most Android phones can be unlocked by showing a photograph.

Actually, it was less than half, so not “most,” but still a significant number. Summary of the results can be found here: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/phone-face-unlock-photo,news-28969.html