Disappointed

Maybe i was a little bit to much optimstic with this bitwarden. I have had this LastPass for many yers and it has its good and not so good things, but i do know that Bitwardens isnt in the same level as LP. Maybe in the future it will be there but till then i will go back to LP.

Definitely sad to hear that! We’re working on being better each day, and we hope you’ll give us another try in the future!

How about some details on what is so disappointing.

2 Likes

Yeah man, what is it specifically that you do not dig – or could you make some direct comparisons between how LP worked for you and what BW is failing to live up to? It took me a couple days to get things dialed in, getting the software installed everywhere, desktops, browser extensions, mobile apps, security keys added, et cetera. THEN i had to go into my “Settings” and learn the new menus and make adjustments so autofill was working as i had come to expect.

I’m very sorry your experience has been the polar opposite of my own. It took me ~24 hours to decide i was ready to pony up $10 for the Premium edition and to help support the dev. My phone actually got faster after removing LastPass and replacing it with Bitwarden. YMMV – but there’s a feature request section, i’m sure everyone would love to vote on some good suggestions you have for ways to improve upon an already brilliant password manager. Obviously i haven’t been through EVERY single account yet, but to my knowledge, no real issues migrating ~seven or eight-hundred passwords, accounts, secure notes, IDs and such over.

I, too, was fairly optimistic and for the most part, Bitwarden has lived up to the hype and lofty expectations I had… which is really a rare thing. Hope you’ll continue to give it another couple/few weeks to adjust to see if you cannot possible tweak it to your liking, sir.

1 Like

A lot of people complain that bitwarden was not like Last Pass. Well, it is different. Compare to competitors like Myki and Enpass, bitwarden is actually closer in functionality and interface.

However, for people who must have stuff work like Last Pass, I think their only recourse is to go with last pass because nothing can be as good as the original if you expect things to work the same. This is precisely why last pass can triple the prices over the years and retain customers.

4 Likes

However, for people who must have stuff work like Last Pass, I think their only recourse is to go with last pass because nothing can be as good as the original if you expect things to work the same.

Can you please elaborate a little here? I began my initial testing and migration of my LP database into BW a couple/few months ago, but I got cold feet and never fully committed – now after a ~week of being all in with; desktop, browser extensions, mobile app, et al and I realize I’m a complete neophyte BW user here, but what are these specific LP features that everyone is missing and so up in arms about? I’ve found the more simple, streamlined experience to be delightful, my Pixel 3 XL actually feels faster with LP Autofill Helper and the app completely removed.

Anyway, sorry to get a bit off-topic, i’m genuinely curious what the main differences are, or what common pain points folks have. I want to migrate my better half over to BW, as well – but tyhe recent changes are mostly a non-issue for an exclusively mobile / single device user, but still hoping to coach the process along. They were never particularly thrilled with LastPass anyway, so i thought it’d be an easy sell. Appreciate your expertise and insight.

1 Like

So I have literally just switched from lastpass to bitwarden. So far it’s gone quite well but there are a couple niggles:

1. If you generate a new password (by right clicking and generating it when you are on a password field, typically when creating a new account for a site), it copies it to your clipboard, you can paste it in, but it won’t automatically add it to your vault. So you then have to log out of that site, find the email verification in your email inbox, then log back into the site, hoping the password is still in your paste buffer, then it will ask if you want to save it. I have had a couple occasions where I have lost the password during this process because I have done a ctrl/c on something else.

2. When prompted to save a site, it doesn’t give you the option to put it into a folder (lastpass does). So then you have to go into bitwarden, find the password, click edit, scroll down, select the folder, then click save, close the password etc. The workflow here is too long winded. Lastpass just lets you select the folder as you save it.

3. Lastpass put the little dotdotdot icon in each username/password field, it can sometimes get annoying, but once you’ve got used to it it’s really handy as you just do once click and it will showing you the matching details - in bitwarden you have to right click, select auto-fill, find the right account… again it’s more work

4. Lastpass has an option when generating passwords to creating pronounceable nonsense words, I used this A LOT, I can still remember passwords I have used in the past, like “haladu”, “diorator”, “sucoopi” - I don’t use these passwords anywhere now so it’s ok, but I really miss this capability. Having said that I do like the 2, 3 word password it generates, but it’s just something else that is different.

Now I’m not being negative, I think bitwarden is a fantastic product, just letting you know a few things I have immediately noticed from switching over the past couple days.

4 Likes

Yes, I did notice that saving wasn’t as good as last pass, but since in my work scenario, new sites are added rarely, so I could live with the longer workflow. I was mostly concern that it filled the password correctly, which it did. My other concern was security, which most password manager will pass.

Frankly, I tend to be pragmatic about this. The vendor offer a product, which I paid or in some cases get for free due to freemium. If they start charging or raising the prices, I have to make a decision, do I like the product enough to pay up and keep using it as is or bail and go to a different product and relearn stuff. In my case, my needs are few, so I could go with any product. I could just relearn stuff. This way I am immune to being locked in. In the case of Last Pass, my feeling is that they have raised the prices like 3x but have not made the product 3x better. This makes jumping to a competition a no-brainer.

But everyone is different, and using a password manager is like relationships, there is no product that is everything to everyone. I would encourage everyone to tried out different products out there and make a decision based on personal needs. I have actually tried out a number of password manager and they all have their differences. It’s a personal choice in the end. It’s not wrong to like or hate Bitwarden or last Pass or any password manager for that matter.

I’m starting to wonder if some of these people posting are paid-shills?

Account created 5 hours ago and only says he’s disappointed without going into detail, seems a little odd.

I’ve used LastPass for years and then went to 1Password and used it for a few years. I’ve also messed with Enpass, KeePass, PasswordBoss, and many other password managers but I always come back to Bitwarden.

I also help many people get up and running on a password manager and Bitwarden is the one I put them on. Yes, the password update is not as good as LastPass but that is not a bad thing. I often turn that setting off for new people as it leads to them making duplicates because they’re used to clicking the okay button for every prompt. They end up with a mess and become frustrated, changing the password in the extension is less careless and you don’t end up with a mess. Then there were many times when LastPass would fail to catch and going in to fix that was far more annoying than the straightforward method of Bitwarden.

LastPass just made this announcement this week, this means all the new people have spent less than a week using Bitwarden. They haven’t given Bitwarden enough time.

5 Likes

I personally believe it all depends on your needs from a password manager and what you’re willing to sacrifice. Comparing Bitwarden to LastPass it is very clear that even though they are both password managers, their similarities are only on the surface and in the core idea of keeping your passwords in an online vault and syncing them to other devices.

Most of the disappointments I believe come from the false advertising that people are doing around, claiming that Bitwarden is the best there is and there are no drawbacks when it comes to switching to it. Just looking through the feature request forum, it’s clear that the drawbacks are plenty.

Most often I see it compared to LastPass, people claiming that it is better and it’s the perfect replacement, when it’s clearly not. Take the sharing functionality for example, which can be considered as a bad joke. If sharing passwords is important to you, depending on how you want to achieve that, you should not even consider Bitwarden.

Generally speaking, if you’re a normal user and you want to share passwords, you do not care about organizations… you do not care about sophisticated terms like collections… and in all fairness, collections seem more like a restrictive thing for the functionality than anything else. Extra fluff, less functionality, more inconvenience. When you say “share”, I guarantee you that most will never think that it means to give ownership away and possibly end up with losing the credentials from your own vault.

Now if you are a company, you just don’t care about it since you’ll just keep credentials together by access levels and decide who can view them or not at any given time. As a company you don’t care if John lost the ownership of his credentials… they were never his credentials to begin with… that’s what the contract signed said… they were belonging to the company.

If you come to Bitwarden expecting to have the same functionality that LastPass did, you’ll be greatly disappointed. There’s plenty of things that need a lot more work or simply missing. I can totally see why someone would be disappointed, when Bitwarden was advertised to them by some random person as being better.

It all comes down to what you need to achieve with it. Sharing for the past two years has been a big NO for the typical user, unless you wanted to get into bad practices, or enjoyed the hassle that comes with it. UI/UX didn’t change that much either and that’s something very important for a typical user. Functionality wise… it is progressing, but slowly, and mostly enterprise oriented. But the issue is not the slow progress, because if it had the essentials, you wouldn’t care that much about it… The issue is it needing more features and adding them way too slow.

Thinking about it from a logical point of view, LastPass, while it does have practices like tracking pretty much everything about you and not encrypting everything, when you buy the family package, you get about all you need in it. And your credentials stay yours. You pay a bit more, but really, it’s not that much, and the user experience is better. They sell you comfort and convenience in their package, which Bitwarden doesn’t compared to it.

Compare changing passwords or adding new credentials. LastPass detects those things far more often than Bitwarden. And even if you don’t rely on that automatic function, given that you can’t keep the extension open for complex credentials for either, LastPass lets you open your vault to a new item with far less effort than Bitwarden. Syncing is also done almost instantly with LastPass, while Bitwarden takes its time, and more often than not you have to manually sync it. Password filling is troublesome as well in Bitwarden, compared to LastPass.

@dangostylver I ensure you, no matter how much time you’ll give to someone who shares credentials on a daily basis, that person will never get a better opinion. If anything, it will only get worse because of the increasing hassle that they have to deal with. Also, a password manager is not such a complex piece of software. One day is more than enough to get a good idea about it if you’re truly testing it.

@Peatrick Some of the differences from the top of my head, in no particular order are:

• The biggest difference is the sharing option which you should test for yourself if it is important for you.
  • Another difference which you probably are accustomed to is the ability to detect new credentials or password changes and filling credentials, which are weaker on Bitwarden.
  • There is no in-extension vault, which means you need to enter your master password every time you go to your vault.
  • Syncing is also better in LastPass and here you have to manually sync the extension if it wasn’t closed when you changed your vault. It’s about the same with the mobile app, as you just swipe down.
  • Searching does not return organized results by folders, you can’t move items around and changing an item “refreshes” partially the web vault.
  • Can’t seem to be able to fill identities, and no buttons in the fields for quickly select the credentials to fill (you have to either right click and go to Bitwarden context menu, or go to the extension).
  • Accessing the web vault is more difficult as you need to go through more clicks.
  • You get no floaty windows in android, meaning that apps which reload when you leave them will give you a headache, especially when autofill does not work.
  • Bitwarden has the ability to search in a single folder, but it can’t search subfolders.
  • You can’t search folders, including when adding items.
  • You can have multiple folders with the same name, but only the first created will have subfolders.
  • You can generate bigger passwords (128 characters), with about the same options as LastPass.
  • You can edit items directly in the extension, without opening new windows which can be a plus or a minus depending on what you’re doing (clicking away will close the extension as a browser limitation).
  • You can lock the extension with a PIN so you won’t have to type your master password.
  • For free, you can’t use Yubikey, but you can if you buy premium. In premium, both have password leak detection and other similar features.
  • Bitwarden does not track everything you do unlike LastPass (read TOS)
  • Bitwarden encrypts everything in your vault, which LastPass doesn’t (because TOS). Even if extensive information is not available about how this was managed during the previous hacking events, at least LastPass can have access to plenty of information about you and your vault, while Bitwarden can’t.
  • Bitwarden offers custom fields for credentials, while LastPass doesn’t.
  • Minor issues with Bitwarden UI/UX, like when you add custom fields, you can drag them up and down, but you can’t select with the mouse the text from them because you will trigger dragging them.
  • You can create in LastPass custom templates for items, but Bitwarden makes up for it with custom fields for any item
  • It is easier to access the content from your vault in the extension of Bitwarden
  • Searching seems better and faster in LastPass, but not by much
  • Bitwarden premium and family plans are cheaper (by one McDonald’s meal a year, depending on how much you eat)
  • Bitwarden offers TOTP for cheaper than LastPass
  • Bitwarden has by default a TOTP field… whether that is good or bad
  • LastPass has a password change function in a few clicks, although it works with a limited number of sites

There’s probably more, but those are some of the more obvious differences that came to my mind on the go.

• You can’t individually log out devices from your vault with Bitwarden, as you need to log out all of them, unlike LastPass.

This was incorrect. I can’t exactly remember what made me think that, perhaps I confused it with something else. Looking at it again, the Bitwarden session deauthorization is something that I don’t see on LastPass. The closest thing LastPass has to it is removing trusted devices (only when you’re using 2FA), and removing mobile devices.

4 Likes

Mihai, you are forgetting why Bitwarden was recommended. It’s free. Previously, the only two well known password manager that were decent features and have multiple device syncing was Last Pass or Bitwarden. Most of the other password manager have limitations like restriction on number of items, being able to use 1 device at a time or no syncing. For people who don’t use the advance feature in Last Pass and want to stay free or at least not pay $36 a year, it’s a no-brainer. There are other nice password managers like 1password or Dashlane, but they are either similar in price as last pass or more expensive. In those cases, you should probably stick with last pass because it’s the devil you know, but people want to switch because they feel Logmein had betray them.

2 Likes

@paulsiu I’m not forgetting why it’s recommended.

In fact, the people recommending it are forgetting that the price is the main argument, then they proceed to inflate all its features. Disappointment comes from those high expectations.

Bitwarden has other strengths, but they’re not as appealing to a normal user compared to the competition. While any person thinking about it logically can ignore the small differences and hassles, the big differences are not things can can just be worked around or overlooked if they are important.

As I said before, it all comes down to your needs and what you’re willing to sacrifice.

LastPass gives convenience, but you sacrifice privacy. Most of the services are similar, but depending on how you use it, your need to sacrifice more money.

Bitwarden gives privacy and money value compared to LastPass. But depending on how you’re using it, you lose on convenience and the ability to share in a normal and expected way.

3 Likes

Well, yeah.

If you switch from a PC to a Mac don’t expect the Mac to work 100% like the PC. Yes, they’re both OS’s but they also work differently.

Your whole post seems to be about how bad sharing is but again, Bitwarden is not LastPass. The way sharing works on Bitwarden is like how 1Password does it. It’s also how it works in the real world, if I share my phone charger with someone it’s out of my possession.

I found LastPass disappointing and the way it works horrible so I switched. Everyone is propping up LastPass as the gold standard but it was horrible and confusing to use, just compare the settings of both password managers and see LastPass is all over the place. In LastPass, I had to click extra buttons to just see the password in the mobile app, which is super annoying to me. The password updating popup never worked perfectly for me so I had to be sure to copy the password to the clipboard beforehand which is I find more annoying than doing it the Bitwarden-way. I can create a whole list of why LastPass is worse than Bitwarden.

1 Like

Thank god neither of these first 2 ‘features’ are in Bitwarden… the first is annoying and doesnt work that well… and the second locks you out of just about every site you use it on as LastPass changes it but then fails to save the change in the vault.

The third item is an improvement to security, so I have no problem with it.

• Bitwarden has the ability to search in a single folder, but it can’t search subfolders.

Works fine for me, if I search from the top it searches all folders and subfolders.

1 Like

I agree. No follow-up either.

3 Likes

I am often wonder why people evangelize a particular product. I suppose there are those who push a open source agenda (a political stance), but I often wonder why one would evangelize a particular product. The only thing I can think of is to validate that their choices is not wrong. Frankly, products are ultimately things run by corporation who just want our money, so people should adhere to a more pragmatic stance of using a product because it’s just happen to have the right combination of feature and price. I have never found a product that is for everyone, except air, water, etc.

Most people defending Bitwarden do have a pragmatic stance, you can search anyone’s voting history and feature requests to confirm they want to see changes.

The problem is that we have people coming here who have used LastPass for years and expecting Bitwarden to work exactly like LastPass. They don’t even give Bitwarden a week before complaining or attempting to change to the Bitwarden-way of things.

Many of us moved away from LastPass because we did not like it and making Bitwarden more like LastPass is not what we want.

Half of the complaints we get can be fixed if they just do it the Bitwarden-way. I don’t know if they don’t know about it or they’re so set in their ways they refuse to learn anything new and if it’s the latter I’m afraid no password manager but LastPass will work for them.

5 Likes

Yes, the search in all the items does search in all the items. I’m talking about when you go to a specific folder and search inside it. Even though it has subfolders, it will not search in them. It is an implementation logic, those folders functioning more like tags rather than folders. That being said, LastPass does not have the option to search in folders, but it shows the results organized by folders.

I used the first one quite a lot and it was rather convenient for those applications that reload every time you open them, as I couldn’t get all the info I need in one go, and some even cleared the clipboard when starting. If it got annoying, I could instead disable it and use it like Bitwarden. As for the second one, I prefer to be in control, so I never trusted it and I never used it. Some people like it, others don’t, but it’s there.

@Peatrick @sambartle It seems like I remembered this wrong, so I will correct it. LastPass can remove individual trusted devices (2FA only), and mobile devices, but it can’t deauthorize sessions on every type of device (only mobile). So yes, it is an improvement on the side of Bitwarden.

It is not about how bad sharing is in Bitwarden. In fact, depending on your needs it can be exactly what you need. I’m not sure how much you read from it or how attentively you did, but that was never the point. For example, if you are an enterprise and you own all the logins and they are all meant to be shared (as I already explained already) it can be what you’re looking for. The sharing functionality is used as an example to make the point, because it is just so limited and focused on companies.

Just because this is how you see it in real world, it doesn’t mean this is how it really works and how it should work. Also, your comparison is flawed. Just because you share something, you don’t lose ownership to it. If I share my car with my neighbor to go on a trip, does that mean I lose ownership? Although my neighbor is driving my car and I’m the passenger, does that mean that the car is not in my possession? Moreover, with Bitwarden you don’t lose possession, but ownership. Although you can lose both if someone else desires to, irrevocably.

I simply said that as a normal user which is not a company, I do not care about the way a company deals with credentials. What you do at the company it’s with the company’s property. When you put a credential in a company vault, you’re expected to put it for the company to use, not so you can take it back.

I don’t understand why you defend this logic. Could you explain how you are benefiting from the current sharing implementation more than the expected one? Let’s take LastPass for comparison since it’s in the topic. I’m not simply using LastPass as the “golden standard” here, I’m just using it as a reference because it got the system closer to me being in control of my credentials. It’s by no means perfect, but it allows me to revoke my sharing and to keep others from deleting what is mine. If you dislike LastPass, we could use Dashlane for reference then.

You have mentioned 1password, but that one still has more options when it comes to sharing and lets you unshare, although it lacks 1 to 1 sharing, and the ability to keep your vault intact without having to duplicate items when sharing. Given that Bitwarden is similar to 1password in this feature, it’s still falling behind, not allowing you to simply un-share as in 1password, not to mention it lacking the granularity of permissions 1password offers. If Bitwarden had implemented similar functionality, I wouldn’t have too much to complain about, besides the things I just said, since I prefer to be in control of my vault and not move my items out of it just to let someone see my credentials for a few moments.

Given that disappointment seems to be the topic, care to elaborate? You made me interested in your list. Since Bitwarden has similar, but more toned down functionality for the general user, I’m really curious what you found disappointing with LastPass instead but Bitwarden does better. Hopefully you’ll offer something objective, not subjective.

What exactly can you fix by doing the Bitwarden-way? And what is so specific to Bitwarden to be called the Bitwarden-way?

And where exactly do you draw the line? Emergency access? Require master password “re-prompt” for some items? Soft delete items to “trash”? Overlay popup interface? Add more pre-defined item types? Drag and drop into folder?

There is an entire “Feature Request” section saying otherwise. And not only about LastPass, but other password managers as well. I see plenty of people talking about wanting features that other password managers have, and you saying that sounds as if Bitwarden will never improve, or at least you don’t want to.

As far as I know, as a customer, you most of the time move to where you can get the most value, depending on your needs. As a PO, you’re changing the product to better fit the larger base of customers. A product that doesn’t evolve when the need arises, will lose customers.

I don’t think that making the software more like one or another is necessarily bad, as long as you know what to take and what not to. Giving more options to the users is not a bad thing, as long as they are properly implemented.

@dangostylver Also, who is this “we” you are talking about? You’re starting to sound like you’re paid for this by the way.

Some good points, however, I hate that dotdotdot that LP has.

I’d hate to see BW try to mimic LP in every way. I really like it’s speed and simplicity.

2 Likes

I wish Bitwarden paid me.

You’ve written a novel, my dude.

I want to answer you but I don’t want to write a novel myself and I feel it would go nowhere and we’ll just keep going in circles.

I wish you the best and I hope Bitwarden eventually works out for you.

1 Like