Disable prompt to save pw when bitwarden is locked

Hi @djsmith85,

There is currently no setting to disable this functionality only for a locked vault. The setting mentioned earlier in this thread only disables all save or change password prompts.

has this been fixed? We are currently looking at adding the next department to our bitwarden rollout however i experience backlash on this thing. While i find it annoying as heck myself that on a locked vault you constantly get the question but am somehow able to tolerate it personally others are not.

So in instead of moving on with bitwarden i am now possibly looking at going back to the drawing board and finding an alternative again.

Considering that something that is annoying to users and should be pretty simple to fix (not much new code, possibly a new field, but still one could switch the existing on from true/false to a numeric value to decide between options - so possibly not even that) is something i believe should deserve some focus.

Hopefully your reply is along the lines “its fixed” and you just didn´t see it but i fear its not.

Please tell me i am wrong. I really don´t have time to do another pw tool switch and am even less interested in doing so.

Kind regards,
Elan

@Elan This feature is still active. Yes, it is a feature. If you check the GitHub issue you will see that it was closed as completed, but alas it is not.

I would suggest that when initiating a browsing session during which you don’t want any interaction with the Bitwarden browser extension, use the browser’s Extension Manager to temporarily disable the Bitwarden extension.

FYI, the prompting to save logins even when the extension is not unlocked was the subject of a popular feature request from 2018 to 2021, and the absence of this feature caused unnecessary strain on Bitwarden’s customer support and bug reporting system, as explained by @djsmith85 in his comment above.

Anybody who would like the current feature to be reverted can vote and comment in the following active feature request thread:

@grb @djsmith85 Why not implement a subtle reminder for new users regarding their login status? This approach would spare the entire user base from incessant prompts.

Disabling the extension seems like a suboptimal resolution. When do I initiate a browsing session with Bitwarden at the forefront of my mind? Almost never. It only comes to my attention when attempting to log in to a routine activity, and then it prompts me with, “Do you want to save this password?” The irony lies in the fact that it’s already securely stored.

I would suggest that when initiating a browsing session during which you don’t want any interaction with the Bitwarden browser extension, use the browser’s Extension Manager to temporarily disable the Bitwarden extension.

No i don´t want to constantly disable and enable the extension. Thats not the point. However we decided to set lockout to a maximum of 15 minutes which basically means users are more or less constantly logged out.

FYI, the prompting to save logins even when the extension is not unlocked was the subject of a [popular feature request from 2018 to 2021], and the absence of this feature caused unnecessary strain on Bitwarden’s customer support and bug reporting system, as explained by @djsmith85 in his comment [above].
Anybody who would like the current feature to be reverted can vote and comment in the following active feature request thread:
Bitwarden prompts to save when it isn't logged in

Wow that one has actually 0 votes. Are all the annoyed users only in our Company?
So i added a vote with a comment and a suggestion which might satisfy both groups.

(links removed from quote since i am a new users and am not allowed to leave them in)

The issue that you describe affects only users who are not using Bitwarden for 100% of their passwords (which I would estimate constitute a minority of the user base).

So, if I understand correctly, based on the earlier message and the GitHub issue, this was initially acknowledged as a bug. However, the current stance seems to be leaning towards categorizing it as a deliberate feature. Could you clarify this apparent shift in perspective?

I’m pretty sure that just like me, @not is just another Bitwarden user, and not affiliated with Bitwarden in any way. The only “official” statement from a Bitwarden rep in this thread is this comment (by @djsmith85, who can be recognized as a Bitwarden employee by the badge on the avatar).

As far as @not goes, they have not been seen on the forum since last March, but perhaps they will return and offer an explanation of their perspective.

The only thing I can offer myself is to re-iterate the explanation in comment posted by @djsmith85: there used to be a bug (GitHub #2242) in which the browser extension did not honor the setting of the “Ask to add login” option, and would prompt the user to save passwords even when the “Ask to add login” option had been disabled (to be more precise, at the time, the option was called “Disable add login notification”, and enabling this option did not prevent the prompts from appearing). This bug was fixed with PR #2225.

However, as I explained in my comment above, the current behavior is the intended behavior, and Bitwarden has been pretty consistent about categorizing requests to change intended behavior as feature requests, and not bugs.