Default ownership and default collection/folder when creating new vault item

Thanks, the team is currently exploring this one :+1:

2 Likes

+1 from me. I want to have a setting in which i can tell Bitwarden what the default collection must be when i or my partner add’s a new password to the manager. And then keeping it private is something you need an extra click for. I would like this to be something that can be set per user. I want to keep my passwords default for myself. My partner want it to have so that the passwords are by default in the sharde collection within the organisation. So a setting on user level and not a setting on company level (which maybe is a good idea for actual companies).

I’m currently trying “Families” plan to share passwords with some family members, and I’ve been really surprised that a “default organization + collection” is not yet a settings. This is really painful to have to set the same organization + collection on (almost) each password creation. I already now that my family members won’t do it by default, so I hope the “default organization + collection” settings will come soon :wink:

+1 I think it’s essential for an organization

Adding another vote and comment for this feature. Having to go into the web interface every other week for all family members to shift everyone’s credentials from the private vault where they inevitably got created to the family org one is just a pain. Being able to set the default vault to store things in seems like a relatively minor feature request, but it does increase usability for people paying for the family plan.

Ditto to all of the above. Please add this option!

Any updates on this? This seems like a necessity for someone using this for a family type org setup.

+1 for this, really important & valuable feature. Hard to believe that this isn’t available as part of the “Premium” membership I pay for.

Hi @bw-admin , any update on “the team is currently exploring this one”?

For your information, 1Password has this kind of “default organisation” setting. And in the following thread you’ll see their users find it’s a really useful feature: Where do you set the default vault for new items? — 1Password Community

Yes! Yes! This is especially true for Family Organizations. Being able to set at least a default “Owner” Organization, and better yet a default “Collection”…that would solve all the problems. Even if the setting has to be in each Member’s personal “Account Settings”, that would be satisfactory. Kids by default should always add their passwords to a parent-controlled Organization anyway.

Please please add this! Nobody in my family has the discipline to always pick the

I am a potential new user. I have been evaluating the free version for several days and was on the verge of buying it.

I came across this topic because I realised that when my wife stores a new account using her Android smartphone, the owner of that record is only her.

To share that record, I have to act as the owner of the system and move it manually.

I also have to say that the whole system of organising, collecting and managing folders is not at all friendly (and I also suspect the presence of some bugs).

This is really stopping me to go on with Bitwarden because I need a system that actually helps me in family password management.

As others have mentioned, this is a key capability for any 2 or more people to want to share most (or all) of their passwords. There needs to be a workflow where the default storage is shared. Lack of this capability is preventing us from purchasing Bitwarden.

As all the other people who have voted, for us if we want to use Bitwarden in our company we need this feature.

Any update on this feature request?

Hey @bw-admin, any updates on this feature? It is a must-have for families. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, looks like this feature request is almost 3 years old and was identified as a backlog item. My wife and I share our vaults and would really love our shared vault to be the default store when we create new entries rather than having to move them every time to collection.

Would the bitwarden team have an update?

(If it helps, I am a premium user)

This is a need, please add this feature as soon as possible. It allows couples to share passwords by default. It is manual and time consuming to go to each password to commit to an organization after the fact.

One option: the default to saving to an org or collection could be defined as an attribute of the account.
If this feature impinges on privacy concerns (eg you don’t want the press of people accidentally default-saving their Ashley Madison account to their work-admined “HR Collection”, here’s another complementary feature: if someone has multiple roles/orgs (personal, family, company), being able to intuitively context-switch between them would be good - maybe with color-coding? eg in the auto-offer popup to save, you could choose the org/collection. If there are multiple matches for a domain across orgs/collection, the auto-filled one could match to the org color. As a future feature, you could also have soft warnings against lists of domains that are consumer-focused or business-focused.

x I can be contacted for more detail about my feedback.

HI, I would love to see this feature. It, IMO, is one of the only major pieces that this tool is missing to handle families being unified and secure. Thanks

Hi @bw-admin,
This feature request looks like this other one : Default Organization/Ownership
Could you merge both ?

I’ve merged the two threads (“Select default collection/folder when creating new vault item” and “Default Organization/Ownership”), and revised the title of the combined thread.