Custom icons for items and folders/collections

This is especially critical for the Web Vault, which does not remember the state of the user’s preference not to use favicons.

I’d love an update on this, seems it’s been wanted for a long time…

Hey @Seanzu thanks for checking in, the team is currently working on the 2022 roadmap, including upcoming Manifest V3 support and there are many open feature requests, the team will continue to review and update the roadmap each quarter.

1 Like

Icons need some work for sure. The current problems are:

• they are assigned automatically, at least in browser plugins. You need to readd the whole record if something didn’t have an icon or the icon got removed.
  • they are very slow at times, I assume it’s because they’re loaded from URLs and not cached?
  • not sure if customization is something I’d use, but at least disabling them for certain records, not only overall, would surely be welcome
  • Also stored in cache unencrypted (if you feel that provides a security or privacy risk)

(your second bullet probably refers to ‘new’ entries getting downloaded for the first time since they do indeed appear to be cached on local device once downloaded?)

I definitely support the idea of custom icons and being able to add your own in all apps/versions.

Like others I am migrating to BW from 1PW and its a standard feature there and I used it considerably - I posted on it as a related comment here: Is there any security or privacy issue with the bitwarden web vault retrieving site icons? (which is also the thread referring to the unencrypted storage of the icons).

Not a real workaround, but for groups (“collections”) and other entries, I started to use an emoji as the first character in the name, which gives you a little image to recognize. I realize emojis don’t contain all the necessary symbols, inexplicably emojis are very lightweight on tech symbols, there’s a floppy disk but not a hard disk… :floppy_disk:

1 Like

Has it been included into roadmap now ?

You can view the current roadmap in the link here to the community.
Planned feature requests are also tagged by staff with #roadmap:planned or #roadmap:in-progress

The team is constantly evaluating new features to be added, while weighing limited developer time, user impact, business and enterprise use-case, as well as multiple other data points I’m sure.

Hopefully though with enough community support this can be added soon :slightly_smiling_face:

Is very difficult to find an item in list in UI (Web and Desktop App). Most of our entries are for domain users, service accounts and device management. We access to this device from bastion hosts or customer equipment so we can´t (and we don´t want to) install browser extensions. When you look the list you ha ve a lot of world icons and is hard to find (the search syntax doesn´t help) an item in list.
It would be nice if you can color items or change icons so you can visually look for the item that your are trying to find.
I think this would be a good feature for corporate users.

After more than 5 years, it looks like low chance to get this feature :sob:

+1 from me on this too. I’d like to be able to do this.

+1 on this one. I need custom icons for entries that are not websites (apps, systems, servers etc)
KeePass has this one implemented for both folders and entries and it makes the navigation super easy

+1

I was stunned not to find this feature.

Hello,

I was making a new request about that.
I agree, It would be great to have this feature.

For example in my case, I’m selfhosting bw offline. I can reach only bw from my lan and I don’t have icon because my host don’t have access to reach internet.
It would be great to change icons from bw client (web, desktop) directly like keepassXC.

Hi all - thanks for all the feedback here. We understand the desire for more flexibility in being able to organize your vault, using custom icons. At this time, the team is working on other priorities and this item is on indefinite hold.

Thats really sad.
My Wife loves the customizable icons in SafeInCloud.
So I wont be able to convince her to change to a selfhosted Bitwarden, as long as I can not set the icons by myself :smiling_face_with_tear:

So from this account it is kinda:
+2

Edit: spelling

It’s really sad. I’m coming from KeePass and it seems to be such an elementary feature.

I’m not convinced as well to switch without this…