Clearer error message when vault is out of sync

Feature name

• Clearer error message when vault is out of sync

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently?
    • Make an error message easier to understand
  • What benefits will this feature bring?
    • Less confusion
  • Remember to add a tag for each client application that will be affected
    • I did not test all platforms, only noticed on Firefox addon

Related topics + references

NA

Body

I just got this error and took me a bit to figure out what was going on

The cipher you are updating is out of date. Please save your work, sync your vault, and try again.

I would think something more like “Your vault is out of sync” instead of “The cipher you are updating is out of date”.

I don’t know about how current things are implemented, but a random thought how one might do something like this if the issue is related to encryption is to have an unencrypted vault “version” that is just a guid and the client can check to see if the last known guid is a different than the online version and know if the current vault is out of sync.

I am also getting that error sometimes, but I could not figure out what it means or how to reproduce it.
Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 18.44.33

You can reproduce it like this:
Edit an item inside Bitwarden (app/extension/web).
Edit the same item inside another instance of Bitwarden.
Try to save both of them.

This should read “The item you are updating…” - the term ‘cipher’ is just what we refer to items as in the coee. CC @Hinton

I receive that error for all passwords on my mobile client. What do I need to do? Logout and login again?

Hi @dreamflasher, can you try this advice from Github? Try logging out any active sessions and rebooting your devices.

This happens when the client you’re using finds a more up-to-date version of that same vault item in your cloud vault. Please log out of your browser extension, reboot your machine, log back into your browser extension, and let me know if you continue to encounter this.
Also, please make sure you do not have any of those vault items open in Edit-mode in any other Bitwarden client, just to be on the safe side.