Can I use Keepass(mobile, desktop) with Bitwarden(api)?

Hi guys,

I would like to know if I can use the Bitwarden api to sync updates on my deskop(Keepass) and mobile(Keepass2android). Generally, in the case of Bitwarden I use the web version, but I prefer to have an offline version available like keeppass.

• How can I best use the Bitwarden api?
  • Am I violating Bitwarden’s terms of use by using the api for another password manager like Keepass?
  • Can I use Keepass(mobile, desktop) with Bitwarden(api)?

OK. I am not answering any of your questions, but I am throwing out an idea in case you can use it.

I primarily use BW as a cloud-based PWM, and use Keepass as a backup, but I don’t use Keepass on mobile.

Almost always, BW is accessible, so I hardly ever touch Keepass. However, I do backups/exports of BW vault religiously. Whenever BW is unavailable, I just “create” an empty Keepass database, and import BW’s exported .json into Keepass, and I am in business. Keepass does import BW’s .json file natively, although I am not sure how completely it does the job, since I only sporadically use it. No syncing is required in my usecase, since my keepass DB is a snapshot of BW’s.

2 Likes

I am not on Windows and use KeepassXC instead. Do you know if this will import the json as well?

No, AFAIK; I switched from KeepassXC to KeePass for this specific reason. KeePass does export to KeePass 1 file, which can be imported into KeepassXC.

1 Like

Thanks. For now it’s good to know that the import does work as a fallback solution. I will continue to create the json knowing that Incan always use it independent of Bitwarden.

@MetBril Please note this will most likely only work if you use the unencrypted (plain text) json export. It will definitely not work with the “account-restricted” encrypted json export created from the Web Vault, or the encrypted json exports created from the Desktop app and browser extension.

2 Likes

Hi @grb, how are you?

an interesting question: Am I violating any API terms when using the API in another password manager?

Please, see this:

"I would like to know if I can use the Bitwarden api to sync updates on my deskop(Keepass) and mobile(Keepass2android). Generally, in the case of Bitwarden I use the web version, but I prefer to have an offline version available like keeppass.

• How can I best use the Bitwarden api?
  • Am I violating Bitwarden’s terms of use by using the api for another password manager like Keepass?
  • Can I use Keepass(mobile, desktop) with Bitwarden(api)?"

Where can I find Bitwarden’s privacy, service and security terms?

Please note that Bitwarden do this as well. Main database is in the service you use and clients update their local databases from there. That means, even if something destroys the service, your clients have database safe. Bitwarden works perfectly offline.

This question isn’t related to Bitwarden (an open-source software) at all, it’s for BitwardenCom (a password managering service by Bitwarden Inc., that runs the Bitwarden software). Please tag your post cloud-default.

Both KeePass and Bitwarden are open-source so yes, definitely.

P.S. To get answers to your questions about compliance with terms, I suggest contacting Bitwarden directly.