Bitwarden disappeared from Safari 15 in Big Sur

Thank you. That helps. Looking forward to the fix.

For the record. Safari extension is working again with App Store version 1.29.1. Thanks, guys.

1 Like

Where is the fix? Waiting and waiting…

It works. Thank you

Same problem with Safari extensions not working in Safari 15 on a new MBP with M1 Pro chip.

I hope someone can fix this soon, I like BW but only if it works

Note: Your question may already be answered in the Bitwarden Help Center.

Just a reminder - All Enterprise, Teams, Families, and Premium subscribers receive priority support at bitwarden.com/contact :partying_face:

BW Loads as an app but safari extensions do not load, this On a MBP with M1 pro chip . It works on MBAir with M1 chip and MacOS 11. I hope someone can rebuild the Safari extensions.

Hi Tory - welcome!

You may have tried these workarounds already, but if not, one of them may fix things for you:

1 Like

Onyx for MacOS works. Excellent and easy fix and it looks like a valuable Unility . Thank you very much!

1 Like

I got a new M1 MacBook Pro at the end of October, replacing an Intel based one. I’m running macOS Monterey with Safari 15.1 and Bitwarden 1.29.1 and this has happened three times during the past weeks. I never had the problem on Big Sur (or prior versions) on the old device.

The Bitwarden extension suddenly disappears and can only be brought back via the lsregister command posted above.

Whatever causes this issue hasn’t been fixed and seems to affect Bitwarden only – I’m using other extensions like Adguard and WebEx which don’t show this behaviour.

Are there any news what might cause this?

Thank you! This worked for me.

Can someone please share the Terminal command that fixed the issue?

@OhioN8v :+1: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

2 Likes

This worked for me…coupled with a new update in my App Store updates forcing me to “update” to version 1.30.0 for the BitWarden app. The extension re-appeared…

Thanks!

1 Like

Nope. Still not working with the script: MacOS 12.0.1, BW 1.30.0. Switching to Chrome.

On MacOS 12.0.1, reinstall BW 1.29.1 if you have it from a backup - that will reinstall the extension. Maybe subject for this should be changed to ‘Bitwarden disappeared from Safari 15 in Monterey (MacOS 12)’

It also happened for me for multiple times but I could narrow it down what have caused.
I have noticed that this was after I have used CleanMyMac X smart cleanup and I have installed VScode which installed a developer environment on Mac. Then restart and voilá, disappeared.
It is sure that one of these two have caused. I’m not sure who can look into this.

1 Like

Just had this happen to Safari 16 in Monterey (12.6) with BW version 2022.9.1 (4562).

Hey all, this has to do with mac LaunchServices, let us know if the solutions above work for you.

I will try the workaround shortly, but there needs to be an actual fix.

Ran the lsregister command verbatim—after quitting Safari, and then reopening it after—and while the BW extension did reappear, Safari also started choking on right-clicks on links (text, image, video, irrelevant), taking 20-ish seconds (wall clock) to open the context menu. Behavior was repeatable on a bunch of websites.

Nothing of interest would show in Activity Monitor while Safari was doing nothing, waiting for the menu to appear.