Bitwarden as dapp(decentralized application)

Hi! Have you all ever thought about offering a version of Bitwarden as dapp(decentralized application) to manage passwords?

Hey there, I’m familiar with federated services, but can you provide more detail on the functionality/expectation you are looking for that being able to self-host your Bitwarden Server doesn’t resolve?

2 Likes

Hi dwbit!

1. What are daaps?

Warning copyright: “Decentralized applications (dApps) are digital applications or programs that exist and run on a blockchain or peer-to-peer(P2P) network of computers instead of a single computer. DApps (also called “dapps”) are outside the purview and control of a single authority. DApps—which are often built on the Ethereum platform—can be developed for a variety of purposes including gaming, finance, and social media.” - investopedia - terms: decentralized-applications-dapps

2. Clarification of the idea and proposal

Bitwarden is not a daap if it is on apple store or google store. This is not a criticism of Bitwarden(software) and Bitwarden(company).

My goal would be if the password manager had a decentralized version. That is, in addition to the Apple Store or Google Store, Bitwarden was running on a blockchain network.

This would be advantageous as there would be no server failure, there would be greater interoperability. In addition, payment data could be made in bitcoin etc. This guarantees greater reliability, anonymity and security for Bitwarden users like me or many people.

This would require Bitwarden to initially accept cryptocurrencies and blockchain payment methods like bitcoin and have a decentralized version running on blockchain too.

Thanks! I’ll review your notes, we do also accept Bitcoin currently.

2 Likes

Hi dwbit… a doubt! Would it be possible to have blockchain support?

I thought if bitwarden could store stuff on an Ethereum network could be good. link: store-vault-on-etherium-or-other-blockchain

Thanks for the info @anon55099482 we are definitely keeping our eyes on everything in the security landscape, including any standardizations in this area.

1 Like

Hi dwbit.

we are definitely keeping our eyes on everything in the security landscape, including any standardizations in this area.

An interesting note… would be to use the keepass file format - Integrate KeePass with Bitwarden(Integrate KeePass with Bitwarden). Both keepass and bitwarden are open source… This would allow, for example, to have a synchronization in bitwarden while I have my passwords stored locally… with keepass