Bitwarden Android Beta does not provide autofill

Same here on Android 14 with BRAVE + GBOARD. I tried as many browsers and keyboard combinations as I can and none did resolve the issue.

I found that every time I kill Bitwarden, it works again until the vault is unlocked.

Does not work with SwiftKey. Not useable in the current state.

Same issue here with Android 11 and Gboard.

Yeah I am noticing this as well. Itā€™s really not consistent at all. Iā€™ll wait for an autofill prompt and nothing will happen, Iā€™ll then go to recents and Kill BW, then the Bitwarden Vault unlock prompt will appear in the keyboard, which lets me autofill.

Sometimes BW isnā€™t in recents, so I have to open it, kill it, then Iā€™ll get the autofill prompt.

Hey, the issue is still present on 2024.7.0-beta (18845). Tested on multiple sites such as accounts.google.com. Autofill works in some apps though.

Gboard:

version 14.2.09.629370537-release-arm64-v8a

com.google.android.inputmethod.latin
versionCode 143544274

targetSdk 34
minSdk 23
3 Likes

Hi All, we have a fix for Gboard included in the latest beta release, which should be available in the google play store. We are continuing to work on autofill issues related to Samsung keyboard.

1 Like

Tested and it seems that Bitwarden still doesnā€™t work with Gboard

Can you confirm the version of the app you have installed, and perhaps provide some details around the behavior you are expecting to see vs what you are actually seeing? Thanks!

Installed latest available beta from Play store - issue stil exists - no bitwarden on gboard.

Version: 2024.7.1

The autofill chip in Gboard only appears once, right after I force stop the Bitwarden app, when I tap on a login input. The Xamarin app in the same case, can pop up the autofill chip without a force kill

1 Like

Can you also include the build number? Based on the version number you gave, it doesnā€™t look like youā€™re using the version distributed through the play store. The version available in the play store is 2024.7.0 (18845)

Version 2024.7.1 (18850). Downloaded from GitHub Actions.

I also tried 2024.7.0 in Release 2024.7.0-beta (18845) Ā· bitwarden/android Ā· GitHub with the same results.

1 Like

Hi All,

Thank you for the continued reports of this issue. On behalf of Bitwarden and all the Bitwarden users who are eagerly awaiting new apps but donā€™t want to mess around with a beta, your testing is really appreciated.

To help our development team nail down this issue related to autofill, it would be helpful if you provided additional details about the issue you experience. Specifically:

• Device Make & Model
  • OS Version
  • App Version Code (integer value)
  • Using Inline or Default Overlay
  • The specific keyboard you are using (mainly for inline)
  • Type of data being filled (Card vs. Login)
  • Website(s) or App(s) where you noticed the issue
  • Any reproduction steps or other information, more is always better
  • If comparing to non-beta app autofill, what settings are used? For example, is accessibility autofill enabled?
  • Optionally a video of the issue (assuming no private info is revealed) can be extremely useful in understanding the problem

And if you donā€™t feel comfortable providing any of those details publicly, please DM me!

Same issue for me (just signed up to the beta)

Samsung Galaxy S20
Android 13
Bitwarden Beta Ā© Bitwarden Inc. 2015-2024 Version: 2024.7.0 (18845)
Problem with default and inline overlays
Have tried both Samsung keyboard and Microsoft Swiftkey
This is for login information in apps on the phone.
It applies for me in the St George mobile banking app (australia) and Lichess

1 Like

@Micah_Edelblut installed 2024.7.2 (18910) release from beta stage. Kill Chrome mobile process. Login to Bitwarden Beta, Set Bitwarden Beta as autofill provider in Android Settings aaaand autofill works well. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Iā€™m glad to hear that is working well for you! If you (or anyone in this thread) is interested in testing further, we have a call out for those willing to download a build with additional logging enabled. See my post here: Help needed testing new autofill build on Android

Autofill issue with Samsung Internet still not fixed - Version: 2024.7.2 Beta early access (18910)

I highlighted to you that autofill was hit-or-miss on GC with the July update and not working on Samsung Internet.

However, with 7.2:

1. It works with Google Chrome - with Samsung Keyboard/Gboard with inline autofill - near 100% success rate :raised_hands: :white_check_mark:

2. With Samsung Internet - it doesnā€™t work, period. With Samsung Keyboard or Googleā€™s Gboard with inline autofill on or off :-1::no_entry::no_entry:.

Note:- Even Public Bitwarden App used to behave wonky with Samsung Internet. But Hit rate was around 70%. Currently it 0%.

My device: Samsung S24 Plus with One UI 6 (Android 14).

I hope your team can diagnose and resolve the issue with Samsung Internet in a future update.

I also have a video to share - but since my email sometimes show up - I would like to DM it.

When it comes to Samsung internet, it is unfortunately expected that this will not work for the beta apps. Samsung requires apps to be whitelisted in order to autofill, and only the production packages of Bitwarden have been whitelisted.

We have a request out to whitelist our beta and development packages, but until Samsung takes action on that, autofill is not expected to work with Samsung Internet in the beta apps.

2 Likes

accessibility autofill is missing. Iā€™m trying to autofill my banking app and it doesnā€™t detect a normal autofill input box and accessibility autofill isnā€™t working either. Showstopper for me.