Autocomplete default username (+random password) when creating new entries (or option in generator)

Related thread Default usernames

1 Like

Most of the time i use my email as my username, and i get so sick of typing it in every time i add a new login item… (it’s a long email name to avoid being spammed). Is there a way to quickly have a template username that i could just click an icon in the username to pull in a template username? I know i could copy/paste it from somewhere, but those extra steps hundreds of times over get tiring too {i am continually adding new accounts for testing, etc, so it’s not like it will settle down at some point).

Is there a feature that exists for this in Bitwarden now already that I’m not aware of?

3 Likes

When you click “Add a Login”, there should be a little Generate button on the right edge of the username field. It brings up a menu with a few different username generation options, one of which is a plus-addressed email. It doesn’t currently have an option to use your pure email, probably to encourage people to use plus-addressing for whatever added security/privacy/control benefits it has. (I was not aware of it until Bitwarden implemented this feature, so thanks Bitwarden!) It is worth noting that not all websites/services will accept a plus-addressed email though. Unfortunate as it is, it might be nice if they implemented a “plus addressing doesn’t work here! Use my pure email” button or some such thing.

1 Like

Feature name

• Automatically fill email in login

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently?

Automatically add email to the login field.

• What benefits will this feature bring?

Approximately 90% of sites login is email, for example, I usually have the same email address.

Why do I save the password every time, exit Bitwarden, copy the mail, log in again, click edit, enter and save?

After all, you can simply fill in automatically by default.

It’s very easy to do, it’s very convenient, I don’t understand why it’s not there.

3 Likes

Autosuggest default username and password (per example email and a auto generated password). No need to generate and/or choose manually.

2 Likes

+1

I find myself repeating the same 7 clicks for every new sign-up. My workflow is opening Bitwarden extention, adding a new item, generating the username, generating the password, saving, having that item auto-fill into the sign-up form. Would be amazing if this could be one action. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Can this be added to roadmap?

3 Likes

Also looking for this feature.

I see two possibilities:

1. Autocomplete like LastPass (best choice)
  2. In username generation, under options, add a checkbox to select entries from a static list. I could then choose between different usernames and email addresses I have without typing it

Add it to roadmap please !

Signed up to suggest this feature. +1 from me, the quality of life improvement would be massive, it’s the lack of this feature that makes me hesitate to recommend Bitwarden. Our IT department is looking for options for password management and if this gets added to the roadmap I’ll recommend whole-heartedly

I’ve been a registered user for nearly 3 years and this is the feature that I pine for the most. Don’t we all find ourselves typing out the same email address nearly every time we create a new entry? This feature request seems like a no-brainer. I don’t need a pick list (but would be nice); just a new setting where I can define a default string for the Name field when creating a new entry.

PLEASE oh PLEASE add this.

1 Like

Current Behaviour: When creating a new login in Bitwarden, under the Username field, you can click the little arrowed circle on the right to automatically populate one of four Username Types: Sub-Address, Catch-All, Forward, Random Word. This is an excellent feature when you need to quickly generate and “Select” one of these four types to automatically fill the Username field.

Issue: If you simply want to automatically fill your standard email address, there is no way to do this, like you can with the four username types. You need to type it out.

Feature suggestion: create a fifth username type: Email Address (nb. there is already an email address field in that window so it knows how to derive a Sub-Address. This should be a very easy feature to implement as you are just creating a new value for this existing Username Type category.

Benefit: when you are now creating a new login, by clicking the arrowed circle on the right, you can quickly auto-populate your email address like you can a new password. This would create a faster, more efficient, and error free workflow when adding new logins.

If you agree, please vote.

Thanks.

3 Likes

One thing that would be really nice is if Bitwarden would automatically suggest your email information and a strong generated password when you sign in a new website. Right now I have to fill my email info myself and go to the vault extension to generate a password that I need to copy paste on the website.

2 Likes

The more effective way to do this is to start in the browser extension, click Add a login, and fill in the Username, generate a random password (click :arrows_counterclockwise:, then “Select”), then click the “Save” button in the browser extension. Now you can click “Auto-fill” to transfer all of this information to the web form and submit the form.

Doesn’t entirely solve your issue, but the Chrome for Mac extension utilizes the keyboard shortcut CMD-SHIFT-9 to generate a password and copy it to the clipboard. This shortcut can also be customized. I assume there are similar keyboard shortcuts for other browsers and operating systems.

To save time, add a dropdown menu for most commonly used usernames.

I generally only use 1-2 email addresses when registering on sites. It is a pain to always have to type in the same email address username time & time again, especially on the mobile app.
If Bitwarden can cache the 5 top commonly used usernames into a dropdown menu selector when adding a new account login to the vault, this would really speed up my experience using the application.

I would like to have an entire set of default fields that can be filled in automatically when generating a new login. doing repetitive tasks on a computer is just silly. I want to fill in a form on my preferences that includes my default user name(s), default email address(s), address(s), first name, last name, etc. then whenever I create a new login, bitwarden should generate a new password based on my rules set up in settings, and autofill all of the above for any of those fields on the account setup page. simple. this feature should super easy to implement since all the frameworks for what I just said is already there. Just add some more fields.

Agree! Made an account here especially for this. This would take like no time at all to code, right?

This is how I formulated it before I found this:

Hi Bitwarden,
Thank you for making Bitwarden, I am a happy user. I do have some easy to implement suggestions for making a new password item. This takes way more effort than necessary, I believe, and this can be fixed easily.

1. most people use their email address as a username on most sites. Having the previously filled in email address pre-filled, would save users typing in the same email address every time.
  2. It takes more clicks than necessary to generate a random password based on the password generator settings: click on generate password, click on copy, click on select. Just autogenerating a password as a reasonable default would make a lot of sense here.
    If both 1 and 2 would be prefilled, just one click would suffice to generate a new entry. This would save a lot of effort for your users! Other than that, I really like your product, keep up the good work :slight_smile: .
    Best regards,
2 Likes

Thank you for your work.

Use case: creating new logins.

Example:

1. Open Bitwarden.
  2. Click the plus sign or “Add Login”.
  3. The entries are pregenerated and filled.

Even more convenient would be a hotkey or a button that would make what I described and use autofill on currently opened page.

It would be nice when manually adding logins to have the ability to quickly set a default for username, as many sites use an email address.

Most companies require first and last name as part of the E-Mail address, so for me this makes at least 28 characters to type for every new entry. Often I nearly hit the 50 character mark.

So it would be very helpful to have this feature.
Best wishes,
Steffen