Autocomplete default username (+random password) when creating new entries (or option in generator)

YO DEVELOPERS !!! These feature has been asked by the community since 2019 !!! It is very easy to implement, most password managers already do it and you are lacking behind !!! PLEASE DO SOMETHING, THANK YOU !!!

1 Like

This was driving me crazy too. There must be a better way, methinks. Indeed, there is. You can pretty much solve this now if you use an Identity when signing up. Here’s how:

Once-off Setup:

• Open the Bitwarden Extension
  • Click the + to add a new Login
  • Change the drop down from Login to Identity
  • Name it something like “00 My Email”
    Those leading zeros are to ensure it conveniently appears at the top of your Identity list
  • Fill all the fields you don’t want to type in manually. Use a fake name if you are paranoid
  • Set Email (not Username) to your email address
  • Check Favourite, if you feel like it, but it doesn’t seem to do anything
  • Click Save

When you sign up:

• Visit the www signup page
  • Open the Bitwarden Extension
  • Select “00 My Email” from the top of the Identities list
  • Right-click in the Password field and automatically generate a password
  • Click save, and let Bitwarden create your new Login for you.
  • Shout Hurrah

Best of luck!

I use the same email adress as username for almost all logins. Would be great if this could be prepopulated for new entries…

Make a way to insert a default userid when creating a new account. I shouldn’t have to fill in my preferred userid every time. Password yes. UserID no.

Any updates on this?

Yes, here’s your update: you need to check the labels to notice it’s not even planned or considered by them. You can also check how long it takes them to implement certain features, e.g. tags. That’s been popular for few years and is being delayed on the roadmap now with 0 news as to why and when it’ll finally come. Then you should be able to estimate when this feature will be part of Bitwarden.

1 Like

Since Websites often use the mail address as username, it would be helpful if there was a possibility to add, say, five Frequently used usernames in a drop-down menu to choose from or enter a new one manually.

Hi Team,

Anyway we could create a list of commonly used usernames/emails and have a dropdown select option when in the ‘add entry’ screen.

Adding this option would streamline the add entry flow, in particular when using long email addresses where there isn’t a keyboard autofill option.

2 Likes

It would be awesome to be able to auto fill user name when creating new login records in Bitwarden with previously used login names from a dropdown. Maybe allow users to set them in options. It’s tedious to have to keep typing usernames in. Thanks for the consideration.

Hi @RobA1701 thanks so much for the suggestion! I’ll let the team know.

1 Like

Hey Jai, any update on this request? Can we see it any time soon? This is a real bug-bear of using Bitwarden since I moved from another provider. In fact, its so frustrating I’ll considering finding another provider if its not on the radar. According to this post, people have been requesting this for years without any movement, or at least letting people know whether or not its going ahead. Please reply, thanks. Cheers.

Hi @Teduardo Thanks for your interest. This is something the team would like to implement at some point. Short term you may want to create a Secure Note that has a list of your most commonly used usernames, and mark that as a favorite. You’ll then have usernames close at hand. If you make a Secure Note with ONLY ONE username, you can use the copy icon from the item to grab the username before you add a new login item.

Have been using BW for years and this is a consistent bugbear of mine. I, like many others, have created an account on this forum just to suggest this basic feature. The original request was posted almost 5 years ago!

It is extremely poor user experience to have to type the username every time when creating a new log-in. I know the main suggestion is to suggest the most frequently used usernames. An even better feature would be BW pulls whatever username you’ve typed into the username box on a website and pre-populates it for you (admittedly a more complex feature).

Regardless, while I appreciate your effort at a workaround, I would expect that type of workaround from a start-up/new company in this field and not from a company like BW that would be considered a more professionally established outfit.

1 Like

I searched for this question but could not find a similar topic, so:

Set a primary email address that will autofill / be suggested for empty username fields when creating a new login entry inside the Bitwarden extension

• When creating a new login item for a website account, most of the time Bitwarden only recognizes the password field. After the user clicks on the “save password” prompt, Bitwarden parses the value from the password field to the password field inside the new login entry, but the username field remains empty. The user will then have to manually type in the email address (or in rarer cases nickname or phone number) into the username field.

• But a lot of Bitwarden users have a main email address that they use for most of their logins (in my case 80% of password entries have the same email address). And then they use for the other entries a different email address (for example for spam/marketing).
    This means that for the majority of the new login entries created using Bitwarden, actually the same email address is used. Nonetheless this needs to be typed in manually by the user EVERY TIME.

Proposed solution:

• Add an email suggestion option for the username field when a new login entry is added within the Bitwarden browser extension. (This does not apply to existing login entries)

It works like this:

• This feature uses the value that the user has set under their settings to be their primary email address. Whenever a new login is created where Bitwarden has only parsed the password field but not the username field, it will place a blue bar under the empty username field. The blue bar will contain these words “Suggestion: >primary email address<”.
  • Once the user clicks on the blue bar, it will enter this value into the username field of the new login that is saved to Bitwarden.
  • Or: once the user presses the arrow-down button and then the enter button, Bitwarden will use the suggestion and paste it in the empty username field.
  • The user finally saves the complete login with password and email address. The new entry can now be found inside the vault.

It is ironic to think that Bitwarden is an autofilling service (and security service) that does not have an autofill feature for the one thing that is often not unique.

Often for multiple online accounts the same one or two email addresses are used. Often there are only 2-4 email addresses across the entire Bitwarden Vault of a non-commercial user.
Nonetheless users often have to type it in manually. So let’s upvote this issue and add an autofill/suggestion option for the username field within the editing window of the Bitwarden browser extension

3 Likes

Five year anniversary of what seems on the surface to be a very simple request. Is there a security risk associated with this?

I’ve learned to live with most of BW’s shortcomings, but this seems like a gimme to provide, and is incredibly irritating every time I have to fill in the same email over and over.

4 Likes

Technically, yes, but it really depends on each individual’s threat profile. If someone knows you use your email address for your username that means they only have to guess your password. If each username is unique, then they have to guess both your username AND password. That said, most people don’t need that level of security. Especially with MFA implemented in the right places.

With the amount of sites that still require an email as the username, I have been waiting years for this very simple feature. I cannot believe we are nearly five years into this and it still hasn’t been implemented.

2 Likes

I would like to think that anyone who uses BW (or any decent password manager) uses tough-to-crack passwords. Isn’t that why we use BW in the first place.

This should be a gimme. So gimme.

3 Likes

Hello,
I created an account in this community solely to support this feature request.
I have been a paying user for my family for 3 years and have been a big fan of Bitwarden.
But it’s amazing that everyone has to enter their regular username every time when creating an item!!
And every time I have to enter my username (sometimes with typos), every time I’m sadly reminded of what a poor user experience Bitwarden has, as stated in several reviews.

It’s so irritating that one day I’ll get fed up with it and move to another, friendlier password manager just for that.
Sorry for this disillusioned contribution.

5 Likes

Completely agree with many of the posts here. I’m a premium member and this is an essential feature, typing my long email address into a new account each time, especially on mobile, is hugely frustrating. Please get this one sorted.

4 Likes

+1. Would be a really useful addition.

1 Like