Auto-type/Autofill for logging into other desktop apps

+1 for this feature. Super useful in keepass

+1 also from me. It would be great to have the autotype at least in the desktop app. If possible, it would be nice to have also the following:

• Autotype in the web vault.
  • Support for autotype not only for the browser-based services but also for arbitrary desktop apps that require password as well as for the terminal (may be useful for SSH and stuff like that)

Would really love to see this feature. I use keepass just for backing up my passwords and I love the autotype feature. I hope this will be implemented.

I also would like unlocking the vault in the app to also do it in the various browsers.
It’s very annoying to have to unlock constantly when I use different browsers or the standalone program.
One unlock should be enough for everything using it, like Roboform does.

I need this feature so much. Yes, I do use the browser extension for my website which is really nice but I also use quite a lot of desktop applications to which I need to log on and it is a bit annoying to manually switch to the Bitwarden App and copy and paste user and then password to achieve a task which could be done in a second via auto-type.

Annoying is that this feature was requested by @OLLI_S in March 2018, what means more than 2 years ago.
Nothing happened so far, this essential feature is still not implemented!

2 Likes

Feature name

• In firefox I can right click and set autofill option based on website I’m on, what if we have that same option on windows where we can autofill based on application window we have focused? Would make it easy for desktop apps like discord, etc… instead of constantly having to go to the bitwarden app copy pw then pasting it.

Feature function

• Add browser functionality to desktop to make it easier to copy/paste/autofill credentials

This feature has already been requested Auto-type/Autofill for logging into other desktop apps

From what I have read, an auofill API or something is being developed by Microsoft and Apple so that password managers function seamlessly. Once that is ready, Bitwarden and most password managers will be able to roll out desktop app login feature.

damn, I swear I searched, but glad I found this thread. If there’s a bounty thing to support I’d gladly support it just to get this working asap before they even roll that out.

Also add communication with de the Desktop bitwarden app, once you have opened your vault, it stays open in all your browsers.
Having to enter the password in all my browsers (Waterfox, Firefox, Opera, Chrome…) is ludicrous.

I have bought premium because i love this piece of software, but indeed, this would be the only thing that’s missing right now.

1 Like

I need this feature so much… I hope this will be implemented.

2 Likes

+1 This is really a good one.

I have created an account on the bitwarden communitie just to vote for this feature. It could be amazing if you add this and I really could consider the premium version with this feature.

1 Like

I just created an account to vote for this feature.
I would gladly pay for premium just for this feature.

I like the ideas of @deekay (View Post) and @Rian (View post)

1 Like

This is the only feature I really miss for personal use. I already have a premium subscription and beside this I’m very happy with Bitwarden. So please implement ++

1 Like

+1 from me as well. Did developers already react somewhere for this? Is it at least in backlog?

Yep, in the backlog!

Windows and MacOS are bringing new ways for the OS to interact with password management platforms that should make this more universal, and more secure than some of the current mechanisms that are used to achieve auto-type.

10 Likes

Thank you for the fast reply. Will wait then)

1 Like

Windows and MacOS are bringing new ways for the OS to interact with password management platforms that should make this more universal, and more secure than some of the current mechanisms that are used to achieve auto-type.

@tgreer
I am not a programmer and also no security expert, so I don’t know these ways that are offered by the OS. So, can you please tell me a little bit more about them (no long explanations, just some short information).
Thank you very much!

Best regards

OLLI

2 Likes